• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large Bore or Medium Bore?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Large Bore or Medium Bore? Reply with quote

I've been playing a Monette MF Prana for a long time. I don't know the bore size on the trumpet. The mouthpiece has a pretty big throat. I get a big sound with the Monette. The sound holds together, not the sizzle sound.

The other night at a band rehearsal the guy playing lead had a Mt Vernon Medium Bore with him. He was selling it and the sale didn't go through. I played the trumpet and liked it a lot so, I bought it.

I'm not the lead player in the band but, I played a few tunes on lead. It seemed like I had to push a little up high. When I did the trumpet really sizzled.

I'm wondering if I change to the smaller bore, will I last longer? Tomorrow I have a rehearsal playing lead. I'm going to play the medium bore and see what happens. I'll still use the Monette mouthpiece with the Bach trumpet.

I'll post again after the rehearsal.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought for some reason that large bore would mean a darker, broader sound. But I'm playing a large-bore Getzen Severinsen horn from the 70s now, and I'm finding that it is actually brighter for me.

I'm also curious to see what other players think would be the difference in a large-bore and medium-bore horn.

It seems that I do need a bit more air to play the large-bore. Do other players experience this?
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I always thought for some reason that large bore would mean a darker, broader sound. But I'm playing a large-bore Getzen Severinsen horn from the 70s now, and I'm finding that it is actually brighter for me.

I'm also curious to see what other players think would be the difference in a large-bore and medium-bore horn.

It seems that I do need a bit more air to play the large-bore. Do other players experience this?

I had lengthy discussions about this with Andy Taylor of Taylor and Leigh McKinney of Eclipse as I was buying one of their horns and noticed they both used ML valve blocks but their various horns blew so differently. Most of what they had to say sailed right over my head, but both felt that the leadpipe and the bell had much more to do with the blow and feel than the size of the valve block. Leigh’s horns with the changeable leadpipe system showed the biggest differences but those horns with different bells also blew/felt different. All these horns I played had blocks in the .462 range. I really dont know for sure if bore size makes a difference in feel/blow, but I can say with some surety that leadpipe and bell dimensions certainly do. The hardest to fill horn had the largest leadpipe and the largest bell bore. And of those 2 factors the leadpipe had the greatest effect on feel. I cant speak to sound as I was on the other end of the horn, but sound was approximately the same from behind the horn, effort was not. I was middle of road on LP and the 2 in the middle suited me best. Outer 4 took more effort or had too much resistance for me. I guess the only way to really get an answer would be to vary each factor including bore one at a time and see which setup or setups made more difference. Ive played Med bore horns that were hard to blow and LB horns that were easy. Just passing what they told me.
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The Irrelavance Of Bore Size” was the title of a piece that Schilke wrote.
IMO, there is much more to how a horn sounds and plays than bore size; a LOT more.

I’ve gone from medium at one time (450) to quite large now (470), and the only conclusion I have come to is the title of Schilke’s article.

Brad
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you take a theoretical trumpet in two configurations, one in medium bore and one in large bore, with everything else being identical, the medium bore should theoretically be easier to play to its maximum volume compared to the ease of playing the large bore to its maximum volume. However, at identical volumes I think the difference would be negligible. I also think that the large bore could be played to higher volume levels than the medium bore, although I think that would be a negligible difference as well.

It becomes much more difficult to compare the ease of playing two different make/model horns when one is a large bore and the other is a medium bore. The bore size is reflected in the diameter at the second valve slide. That's just one tiny measurement. A "medium bore" horn could be larger everywhere else compared to a different make/model "large bore."

Some "large bore" horns are designated as such even when the measurement at the second valve slide is the same on the "large bore" and "medium large bore" models. The Getzen Eterna Severinsen model is an example. The measurement at the second valve slide of the Getzen Eterna Severinsen "large bore" is exactly the same as that measurement is for the "medium large bore." The difference between the Getzen Eterna Severinsen "large bore" and "medium large bore" is the lead pipe, tuning slide and tuning slide receivers. The rest of the horns of the two bore sizes are identical to each other.
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong in My thinking that it's not just bore size,but all the other variables coming together that make up a horns sound?
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I felt Taylor and Eclipse were both saying. The variances in blow on different bells was negligible but the sound was varied. The effect on blow and to some extent sound on different leadpipes was very noticeable I was frankly amazed by how much difference in blow and feel it made. Ive found that the closer to the lips a change is made the greater the difference in blow/feel. I'm not a mouthpiece chaser but the different leadpipes changed things more than I would have expected. I don't know if I will use many of the 6 leadpipes that come with the Eclipse but I know that 2 of them make things a lot easier and match my blow almost perfectly. I really thought it was a gimmick when I tried them but I found a way to tailor blow and feel I didn't know existed before (hadn't tried many modular horns before). I can only say that if I ever buy another stock horn I'll pay much more attention to the leadpipe I select.
Rod
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: After rehearsal this morning Reply with quote

This morning I had a rehearsal playing lead. I only brought the Bach so I wouldn't be tempted to go back and forth. The results were much different than I expected.

For the first couple tunes, I was having trouble. The tuning is different on the Bach and the overall feel is way different and the sound is way different.

The Monette has a darker sound that doesn't spread when pushed. The Bach has a kind if sizzle when pushed and all around brighter sound. The feel of the medium bore is so much different than the Monette. When I play the Monette, it just kind of goes. Hard to explain. When I play the Bach, it feels like there is something to push against. Both are good. (I think) It took about an hour of playing to feel comfortable. After rehearsal, I asked the guy playing second what he thought and he said I sounded much better the second half of rehearsal. I asked the lead alto and he said he liked the Bach sound. I asked, "better than my other trumpet?" and he said, "yes, I think so"

I think I have to play the Bach a lot more to know if I can last longer than playing the Monette. I don't know if I'll invest the time. I have a church gig tomorrow. I'll play the Bach there and post again.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Some "large bore" horns are designated as such even when the measurement at the second valve slide is the same on the "large bore" and "medium large bore" models. The Getzen Eterna Severinsen model is an example. The measurement at the second valve slide of the Getzen Eterna Severinsen "large bore" is exactly the same as that measurement is for the "medium large bore." The difference between the Getzen Eterna Severinsen "large bore" and "medium large bore" is the lead pipe, tuning slide and tuning slide receivers. The rest of the horns of the two bore sizes are identical to each other.

This may be deserving of another thread: I'm lucky enough to have excellent specimens of both the Severinsen medium-large and large-bore trumpets. After reading what you wrote I experimented with switching out the tuning slides. I need to spend more time with it, but I'm pretty excited. The large-bore slide in the medium-large horn seemed to turn it into a veritable blowtorch!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just an amateur hack. I play in a community band and for my own enjoyment. I'm loving my XO 1600i. It took me several weeks to adjust to it but once I started backing off on the air everything became much easier. Lots of very soft playing helped. This also crosses over to my larger bore trumpets. Backing off works.

Kent
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilkes22 wrote:
Am I wrong in My thinking that it's not just bore size,but all the other variables coming together that make up a horns sound?

That’s my opinion too, and not just sound but playing characteristics.

On paper, I never would have thought my .470 Wild Thing would work for me, but it does. YMMV of course.

Brad
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

This may be deserving of another thread: I'm lucky enough to have excellent specimens of both the Severinsen medium-large and large-bore trumpets. After reading what you wrote I experimented with switching out the tuning slides. I need to spend more time with it, but I'm pretty excited. The large-bore slide in the medium-large horn seemed to turn it into a veritable blowtorch!

Just testing : somehow we manage to set a soundwave in motion - recent discussions point to important variables - the mouthpiece where the initial wave bounces back and forth, feedback from the whole tube system (resistance?); some quirks in the tube affecting the wave in special ways, others in other ways - and so on.
Compare with the common experience playing in different surroundings, church, smaller rehearsal room, concert hall, meaning different soundwave patterns which definitively affect the playing experience (sound drops dead, sound returns from every direction).
Too big a bore - resulting in lesser resistance (feedback), too narrow a bore- resulting in too much resistance - a good enough compromise should be the ideal; to this we add the player´s own contribution.
Rather intriguing when it comes to horns; I played a Getzen Eterna cornet for more than 30 years. Large bore it was. Easy blown! Then I bought a new Bach Strad cornet, medium bore it was - but unable to fill it -back to a newer Eterna and on the road again. Some years ago I bought an almost new Getzen Custom Series LB - better sound (more suitable in the brassband) but a trifle heavier blow. The tuning pipe system very different from the Eterna. Looking at the horns one could believe the Eterna should be heavier (more resistance from the tuning slide?)but no.
So transforming your Eterna into a blowtorch by switching the tuning slide makes sense.
My old battlehorse, the King Super 20 Symphony is a DB=double bore; I believe that a better player than me could make it sizzle in the upper register - a very good horn - but I can make my new Bach Commercial
sizzle higher up, more easily than with the King, however the Bach is a medium bore (lightweight) where I suspect the bell is quite different from the King bell (in all much brighter sound).
Already known this is and rather vaguely written - so why post? I´m fond of discussing!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those still interested:

I played the Bach at the rehearsal before church. I had a mixture of first and second trumpet parts. I couldn't make the Bach work. It felt really tight and I was missing notes. The sound was good though.

Between rehearsal and the performance I went to my car and got the Monette. Everything went back to normal.

I played pretty hard last night in the big band. Maybe the Bach didn't work this morning because I was still tired from last night?

I haven't given up on the idea of the medium bore. I'll post again after I've played it in different bands. It might be a while until the next post.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
For those still interested:

I played the Bach at the rehearsal before church. I had a mixture of first and second trumpet parts. I couldn't make the Bach work. It felt really tight and I was missing notes. The sound was good though.

Between rehearsal and the performance I went to my car and got the Monette. Everything went back to normal.

I played pretty hard last night in the big band. Maybe the Bach didn't work this morning because I was still tired from last night?

I haven't given up on the idea of the medium bore. I'll post again after I've played it in different bands. It might be a while until the next post.

The two horns require a different "touch" (for want of a better word). You're used to your Monette. You''re not used to your Bach. You've got the "touch" for the Monette ingrained in your technique. That "touch" might not be the best approach for your Bach.

I would expect your Bach to become comfortable and work for you if you played it exclusively long enough and got the "touch" of it ingrained in your technique as well as you've done so with your Monette. I think it's likely just a "learning curve" issue.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I was at NAMM, I went to the Schilke booth, whee they had all of their trumpets lined up b y size, and played the same set of figures on all of them. Each played differently.
So bore does matter.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Setzen bore size Reply with quote

If I remember correctly (I spent a lot of time at Getzen in the sixties) the first large bore model of the Eterna was sized at .468. They got quite a bit of feedback from pros which seemed to say it was too free blowing. They changed to .464 and I believe they stayed with that throughout the production run. I was good friends with almost everybody in the plant and was told the difference in the two models was simply wall thickness of the tubing used with thinner tubing being used on the LB. You would have to check with the Getzen people now running the factory to see if that is still the case. Adam Getzen is an extremely knowledgable guy and a straight shooter so I'd try to quiz him.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with horns of a wide range of bore sizes is, the smaller the bore, the more you need to back off and let the horn do more of the work for you. Playing it like a large bore will result in a stuffy, backed-up feel.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working with this Trumpet a lot. The playing characteristics remind me of a Piccolo trumpet. In the lower register it plays like any other Trumpet. In the upper register it's easy to hit the note but, you have to really back off. I don't think that it will have a big sound in the upper register, no matter how much I work with it. I still want to try it while playing in a band and see if I can blend.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, a question (apologies if I missed the answer above) - are you playing the Bach with your Monette mpc? or a different mpc? The Monette mpcs are very different to a "standard" type mpc, esp. in the throat and bore.

I have found that using a Monette mpc in a med bore horn has it's problems, especially with resistance.

Also, because you've been playing Monette equipment, you will have dialled yourself into a type of blow that is different to what is required to get the best out of a med bore horn.

These are ideas to think about. They may not apply in your situation, but I found when I changed out my Monette mpc for something more "normal", I could handle big band stuff better.

It's always fun to experiment, and you can always go back to Monette if you feel that's where you should be. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Joe, a question (apologies if I missed the answer above) - are you playing the Bach with your Monette mpc? or a different mpc? The Monette mpcs are very different to a "standard" type mpc, esp. in the throat and bore.

Cheers,
Roger

Hi Roger,

I've been using the Monette mouthpiece because I didn't want to change too much all in one shot. I have experimented with the Bach mouthpiece in the Bach trumpet a little. To really mess around with it, I have to wait until I can play with a band where I'm not being paid to be there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: