• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ipad Pro Users

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Ipad Pro Users Reply with quote

So I almost have enough spare money to get the iPad Pro, upgrading from the original iPad. I was wondering what everyone is using case wise or are they going without one. Currently my tablet resides in my bookbag in a leather padfolio style case with a clasp (no zipper). It seems to sit well on the stand, no matter what its made of, and not slip around.

So, What has worked for you guys that have used the pro for an extended period of time??

Thank
Josh
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pro, but I did use my iPad for a while. I got a Manhasset stand and put an iPad holder in place of the desk. This allowed me to play past the iPad and move it closer. I highly recommend purchasing something similar.

I would still be using it except I found marking changes, etc, during rehearsal to be too slow/difficult and ruined the rhythm of the rehearsal for me.

However, with our new director it might be better since he doesn't make as many off the cuff changes.
lewins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have chosen wisely

I use the logitech case with the keyboard. I bought it because it protects front and back, and I love it. The keyboard is an immense help that lets me use it like a laptop. I've had mine for over a year and use it almost every day.

When I play I usually just leave it in the case in the open position.
Raya2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I only use it to read music I use the UAG case, it's protective and not as thick as others, I may also recommend a screen protector for it, totally worth it.

Mine dropped once from the stand and has no damage at all.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart Cover, which is the magnetic cover that clips on the side and lays over the screen. Then I put the iPad with Smart Cover inside a neoprene sleeve case with zipper. This is a fairly protective arrangement that isn't too bulky and fits well inside my accessory bag. During rehearsal/performance, I put the iPad on a Peak music stand with the Smart Cover removed and stored inside the sleeve.

I keep an Apple Pencil inside the original box for traveling in the accessory bag. (The Apple Pencil makes it real easy to mark changes quickly during rehearsal.)
Piccolo Stomvi
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raya2 wrote:
Since I only use it to read music I use the UAG case, it's protective and not as thick as others, I may also recommend a screen protector for it, totally worth it.

Mine dropped once from the stand and has no damage at all.

+1 Plus, it has a holder on the side for your apple pencil and if you wanted to use one of those foldable keyboards you can take off the strip that's covering the dock connector and you can use both the keyboard and the case.

I've been using the hercules music stand which can tilt away from you or towards you depending on how you face the stand. I take the desk part off and place a tablet holder on instead so I can play past my tablet if ever I wanted to.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck Smartshell Plus. Works great.
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dedicated 'claw mount' type stand for it, but I usually don't use it. It sits well enough on a regular stand with nothing but a mute bag under it to keep it from getting scratched or something. I put it away during breaks, because my only real worry is somebody walking through and bumping into the stand and knocking it onto the floor (where that claw mount thing might come in handy).

I don't use a protective shell-case because I often use the keyboard with it when I'm not using it for Forscore (the best app ever, btw). They make some cases that allow the keyboard to still be used, but I haven't bothered.

I have a little padded slip case that I can slide it into for travel which offers decent protection without much bulk. I second the comments about the apple pencil. Totally worth it, and Forscore supports it perfectly. The 'edits' that you make are actually stored in a separate file away from the original pdf, so you can 'erase' markups without ever touching the original music directly.

Forscore also allows you to add in most common music notation things like crescendos, dynamic markings, articulations, slur lines, add sharps/flats, etc. and have them look like part of the original instead of hand drawn.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Otter Box case (as I do on my iPhone) . I just put it on my music stand. It has a protective half shell for the screen area, which unclips and can be used as a stand. The design is excellent, with a built in screen protector. The plastic case completely covers the iPad and then a rubber outer back part fits round the whole thing. The case is cut with ports in the right places so you have little trap doors to open, to access the charging port etc. Keeps the dust out. Can't fault it.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to rethink the apple pencil purchase it seems! Thanks for all your input and I def have some more options then I originally thought!!!

Josh
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I use an Otter Box case (as I do on my iPhone) . I just put it on my music stand. It has a protective half shell for the screen area, which unclips and can be used as a stand. The design is excellent, with a built in screen protector. The plastic case completely covers the iPad and then a rubber outer back part fits round the whole thing. The case is cut with ports in the right places so you have little trap doors to open, to access the charging port etc. Keeps the dust out. Can't fault it.

Is this for an iPad Pro? Which model Pro and which Otterbox is it? I have a wonderful folio Otterbox for my Air2, but have not seen anything nearly as nice for the Pro, and frankly that has squelched my desire to upgrade. I don't have a desire for a cover with built in keyboard, but right now the nicest protective case I see with a cover over the screen is the Logitech with the keyboard. I'd love to know which Otterbox you have.

-John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little more than a year in with my iPad Pro 12.9

Forscore and Apple Pencil. Don't waste time with anything else.

I use a Targus case. Drop safe rated. There is no screen protection when open or pencil storage, however. i am pleased with it

https://smile.amazon.com/Targus-Protection-Other-Tablets-THZ56004GL/dp/B017047Y98/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502809059&sr=1-9&keywords=targus+ipad+pro+12.9+case
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:

Is this for an iPad Pro? Which model Pro and which Otterbox is it? I have a wonderful folio Otterbox for my Air2, but have not seen anything nearly as nice for the Pro, and frankly that has squelched my desire to upgrade. I don't have a desire for a cover with built in keyboard, but right now the nicest protective case I see with a cover over the screen is the Logitech with the keyboard. I'd love to know which Otterbox you have.

-John

iPad Pro 12.9 It's an Otter-box Defender.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody use the Bluetooth pedals for page turns? I found them to be very useful.
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Anybody use the Bluetooth pedals for page turns? I found them to be very useful.

Yep, I've got me the airturn bluetooth pedal. I never have to turn pages again while I'm doing a show.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Irig BlueTurn pedal:

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-BlueTurn-wireless-smartphones/dp/B01C5RZWM6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502830636&sr=8-4&keywords=Irig+blueboard

I used to use the 4 button model, but it was more than I needed.

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-iRig-BlueBoard-Pedalboard/dp/B072Q6TR1X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502830720&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Irig+blueboard&psc=1

Both work great and seem very sturdy. The page flip cicada, which I used previously, always seemed a bit fragile.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Airturn 2 pedal unit. Works well, but the cover to the battery compartment is brittle and one of the arms already snapped off. The clips for the battery itself are also very stiff, to the point you really need to pry the battery out.

Beyond that, I'm satisfied.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AirTurn Ped - bought it new and it came with a broken battery compartment. Got it exchanged for a different one that came with a dead battery and the extra one supplied didn't last 3 hours.

Got an AirTurn Duo from my son, battery doesn't hold a charge.

If I don't KNOW that it will make it through a concert I don't want to bother with it!!

Anyone else use the Irig BlueTurn? Any issues?
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go high end, bought a leather case that holds a pencil. http://www.padandquill.com/cases-for-ipad.html

I did get the Apple integrated keyboard as well, which actually fits in the case, but I'm using my iPad Pro for work.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a look to the Pageflip firefly pedal instead of the Airturn models. Work great, much more reliable, imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: