• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Overbite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samdelong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Overbite Reply with quote

Hey, I've been playing trumpet for about 6 years now. I'm a sophomore in high school, and when I play I've noticed that I point the horn down when I play, and many of my peer do too. I've got a solid range up to high F# with minimal upper lip pressure, and I angle the horn down as I descend. I know that I'm going to have to move the horn down when I ascend so I don't destroy my lips, but will this issue go away as my face muscles and bones develop as I grow? I see lots of younger players play like this, and most adults I see playing seem to not have this issue.

Thanks!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think you're worrying too much.

Most adult players I know do play with atleast somewhat downward angles and some with rather extreme low-angles... and many play great, including some with fairly extreme angles (an acquaintance who plays with their bell pointing at their knee's when playing sat down, for example, is an astonishing player).

It doesn't really matter what it looks like, if everything else is working correctly then the angle is simply a result of your overbite.. that is, it's not really an issue at all.

You can, gradually over time, bring the lower jaw more in-line with the upper whilst playing (some trumpet pedagogy encourages this, Reinhardt, for example) which will bring the angle up with it, but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary for all players - I wouldn't automatically assume that bringing the angle up will automatically bring benefits.
samdelong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
To be honest, I think you're worrying too much.

Most adult players I know do play with atleast somewhat downward angles and some with rather extreme low-angles... and many play great, including some with fairly extreme angles (an acquaintance who plays with their bell pointing at their knee's when playing sat down, for example, is an astonishing player).

It doesn't really matter what it looks like, if everything else is working correctly then the angle is simply a result of your overbite.. that is, it's not really an issue at all.

You can, gradually over time, bring the lower jaw more in-line with the upper whilst playing (some trumpet pedagogy encourages this, Reinhardt, for example) which will bring the angle up with it, but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary for all players - I wouldn't automatically assume that bringing the angle up will automatically bring benefits.

Thanks! I was only thinking because when playing in jazz ensembles, im forced to push my head back to raise the bell, which does all sorts of bad things to my playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should dismiss the subject from your mind. You have an overbite, so by the very nature of that overbite the horn is going to point down more than for someone without an overbite. Don't worry about it. If you want the horn to point more level for aesthetic (visual) reasons, then get your mouthpiece bent. One of the greatest players out there, Chuck Findley, plays on a bent mouthpiece as do many others. It's not a necessity but it won't hurt either. Listen to Chuck on this video and then I think you'll really understand that your overbite and the resulting angle of the horn is a nonissue.

Link

And no, the angle is not going to change much if at all as your facial muscles and bones develop as you grow. Don't worry about it!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: