• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can't Play Low Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Can't Play Low Notes Reply with quote

I've been playing trumpet for a few days now with no teacher, and with no valves down pretty consistently hit middle c, g below that, and e above that. On rarer occasions I can hit a g above the staff and c below the staff, but never consistently.

Unfortunately, any tutorials or blogs online for beginning trumpet all seem to start on low c, and whenever I try to play it I feel like I convolute my embouchure so much and a lot of air leaks when I play and my sound is wavering and weak. Does anybody have tips to play lower better or ways to extend my range down? Thank you!

I've been playing oboe and saxophone for 8 and 5 years, respectively, so I don't know if that has something to do with why I start in such a high register.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can take weeks or months to develope even the smallest consistent range... IMO you've most likely gone too far already and building some bad habits....

Find a teacher, find a teacher, find a teacher, find a teacher

There are many things that are involved, from equipement, breathing, chops, hand placement... you will inveitably develope some band habits then ultimately frustrate yourself, and if wait to find guidance you will then have to UN-learn things = even harder!

find a teacher.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

Find a teacher, find a teacher, find a teacher, find a teacher

find a teacher.

+10

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you are so early into it, your best bet is to find some firsthand guidance with a personal instructor - anything we might tell you is likely not going to make a lot of sense because you don't really have much of a point of reference yet.

With that in mind, you might try doing long tones on the G in the staff - play them relaxed at as low of a volume as you can. Part of the problem is that you are so undeveloped as a player that you don't have chops focus yet, and that's what it takes to be able to effectively play lower notes and have good command of them.

Once you get good mastery of the G, work your way down the scale the same way, one note at a time until you have mastery of the next lower note.

I've probably said this close to a dozen times over the last couple of weeks: there is no secret and there are no tricks or shortcuts - it takes time and work in the practice room to develop your embouchure.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Play Low Notes Reply with quote

Michael W wrote:
I've been playing trumpet for a few days now...

Yeah, well, nothing amazing is going to happen in a few days. This is an unforgiving instrument that takes years to get comfortable with and far longer to master.

Don't expect too much too early, and listen to the advice to find someone to teach you correctly from the beginning. It's much more difficult to unlearn bad habits than it is to install correct ones from scratch.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Play Low Notes Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Michael W wrote:
I've been playing trumpet for a few days now...

Yeah, well, nothing amazing is going to happen in a few days. This is an unforgiving instrument that takes years to get comfortable with and far longer to master.

To piggyback on this a little bit, there seems to be an idea for adults who start, or people who come back to the horn after many years off, that the discipline and diligence of an adult is somehow going to shortcut their progress.

The truth is, instruments take a while to learn and become proficient on. Looking back when I was a kid, I was in my 4th year before things really started to click, and well into my 5th and 6th years before I started to be considered "good for a high school player." I was into my 8th and 9th year before I got proficient to the point where I was able to gig and sound professional doing it. I did some gigging - a couple of weddings when I was 17 going into my 8th year as a player, and I did ok, but it was only after I became a full time player as a military musician where I started to play with real polish.

Likewise, I started drumming when I was 33 years old. I was always able to play beats, so I figured it was going to be something I'd pick up quickly. Nope - it was 4-5 years into it before I could listen back to live recordings and be generally ok with how I'd played, and I was already a proficient musician on trumpet. Mechanically I was getting it done, but it took time to get comfortable to the point where I had real finesse and nuance in my playing.

Time, hard work and patience are the keys - don't get discouraged though. Enjoy the improvement and successes along the way, and know that with each success, you've got another brick in your foundation.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Play Low Notes Reply with quote

Michael W wrote:
I've been playing trumpet for a few days now with no teacher, and with no valves down pretty consistently hit middle c, g below that, and e above that. On rarer occasions I can hit a g above the staff and c below the staff, but never consistently.

Unfortunately, any tutorials or blogs online for beginning trumpet all seem to start on low c, and whenever I try to play it I feel like I convolute my embouchure so much and a lot of air leaks when I play and my sound is wavering and weak...

From your description, it seems that your embouchure isn't set properly. A good teacher could help you with that.

Welcome to the trumpet! It's a fun instrument to play. Best of luck to you.
Piccolo Stomvi
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Play Low Notes Reply with quote

Michael W wrote:
I've been playing oboe and saxophone for 8 and 5 years, respectively, so I don't know if that has something to do with why I start in such a high register.

This, at least in part.

Reed instruments have very different embouchure requirements than brass. In a reed instrument, the embouchure supplies tension to the reed right at the lips.

Brass embouchures are different in that the lips pretty much act as reeds and the tension is applied to them from the surrounding muscles, with the lips being free enough to vibrate.

And this is why I don't mess with my wife's clarinet anymore.

So, to echo the advice of others, get a teacher. You will need one to walk you through this.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot afford a teacher either in person or through Skype, I highly recommend you buy and use the book Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing by Claude Gordon. This book is unique in that it is designed to systematically develop sound, range, flexibility and technique. And you'll really like the fact that the first lessons begin with playing Middle G and gradually expand the playing range up and down at a comfortable rate. The instructions in the book are superb. Spend one year in this book (about one Lesson every two weeks) and by the end of the year you'll have a playable range from F# below Low C up to High C along with good power, sound and technique. Note that the book also assigns material from the St Jacome Method (but material from Elementary Studies for the Cornet by Herbert L. Clarke is often substituted for the St Jacome material).

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Approach-Elementary-Brass-Playing/dp/0825832802

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days..... well there may be tingling and new feelings that occur as your face/ lips gets used to the vibrating and such.

There shouldnt be any convolution.

Using the typical "m" approach where your lips are at rest as if you are going to say the letter m.

Gently place the mouthpiece up to touch your lips.

Blowing warm air like haaaah and imagining the Low C rolling out of the bell and falling a couple feet in front of you may give you what you need.

FOR REAL THOUGH - get a teacher - never in a million years would I learn to play trumpet simply by web surfing.
deanoaks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to preface my comment with this important statement:
I have never taught or given advice to people first beginning with the instrument. Take what I say (like with any other advice you find on the internet( with a grain of salt.

With that being said. I am a firm believer in the "if you can buzz it, you can play it" mentality. Get a drone tool or a pitch pipe and find concert Bb and try to buzz down to it from a concert F in the staff. Start reasonably soft and gradually get louder (but not so loud that the sound stops). When you comfortable can get from F-Bb, go down a half-step from E-A and continue this pattern until you go from B-F# concert below the staff.
Doing this will get you to find the proper lip:air balance in the lower register as well as develop your embouchure.
Mouthpiece buzzing may not work for you but I think it is certainly worth a try.

Another method would be to try and chromatically go down from the G in the staff to C below the staff. Google images has a plethora of fingering charts to choose from. The important thing to remember is starting at a comfortably soft dynamic and gradually getting louder as you go down.

Please let me know if I said something confusing. I'm more than happy to try and clarify.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you can hit the C on occasion. The next time you do focus on what's happening - you should find your mouth/teeth open a bit more compared to where you are for a middle G. I would suggest thinking about opening your mouth a tad wider, also try angling the horn up slightly higher - or tilting your head down a tiny bit - also pushing a bit more air. I'm talking about subtle changes.

When you get the low C to sound hold it out for as long as you can. Then take a big breath and do it again. The idea is to train yourself for the feel of it and be able to consciously do it - and then eventually be able to do it without as much conscious thought.

Remember assuming it's kept clean inside and doesn't get damaged the horn doesn't change - if you get something on one attempt and don't get it on another it's completely a function of something you're doing differently even if it's a very subtle difference.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello michael,

I really think that so many issues for beginners and come-backers alike would go away if they started off first to learn to buzz the lead pipe the way that bill adam taught it. Learning to Buzz the lead pipe correctly will allow you to play with much less effort. As a sax player think about how your reed vibrates with different amounts of pressure provided by your ligature. Too loose, the reed rattles. too tight, the reed stops vibrating.
Its a little like that.
There are countless examples of Lead Pipe buzzing online, it would help so many people who play with too much tension. Tension can manifest itself in both high and low notes.
hope this helps, although if you haven't learned about lead pipe buzzing yet, it must sound awfully vague and not direct enough to answer you post, but after you learn it, you'll understand.

best of luck,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: