• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

This Old Biddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The3rdbill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: This Old Biddy Reply with quote

Pretty sure this is an old Ditson Victory, but I'm not 100% certain. Can anyone give me any feedback on it?
http://app.5miles.us/mi2zm5p
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Ditson Victory cornets on the website horn-u-copia.net you'll see they all have Ditson engraved on the bell. The fact that yours doesn't is clue it wasn't made by Ditson.

It looks to me to be a stencil horn (one made by a manufacturer then stamped with a retailer's name, or other name). Likely it is from the late 1930s or 1940s. It looks to me to be possibly made in Europe, maybe Czechoslovakia or Germany.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model

Last edited by derby_mute on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditson seem to have been a music shop selling music and then some instruments made by others.

Almost all the Ditson badged instruments were made in Czechoslovakia some were made in Austria a few in Germany. One was badged as USA made but that may also have been a stencil.

This does not suggest low quality however, Selmer London also sold european instruments stencilled and engraved Selmer although Selmer also manufactured instruments, it was a common practice and remains a common practice today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: