• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary C VS Piston C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Rotary C VS Piston C Reply with quote

Which would be better?
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the most versatile?
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean by versatile, most players would say a Bach C? Wouldn't they?

But I would like to know the pros and cons of both parties. Both the piston's pros and cons and the rotary's pros and cons.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do other trumpet players you rehearse and perform with in your location use? Unless you are playing in a professional orchestra where you would use both rotary and piston trumpets I would advise the piston C.
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I just posted this because I found a rather cheaply priced rotary C from a reputable maker in Germany so since I was on a search for a C, I thought maybe but it looks like I might be going for a Bach C.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean this with absolutely no offense, but based off how you asked that question, I'm going to assume you are playing trumpet primarily as a hobby and maybe play in a church or community bands/orchestras for fun. In those situations, it makes very little difference. If you find a rotary that you like for a good price, go for it.

That would be like me, a very amateur golfer, wanting to know if the newest Titleist or Taylormade driver is better. At my level of playing, either one would get the job done.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I mean this with absolutely no offense, but based off how you asked that question, I'm going to assume you are playing trumpet primarily as a hobby and maybe play in a church or community bands/orchestras for fun. In those situations, it makes very little difference. If you find a rotary that you like for a good price, go for it. ...

+1
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary C VS Piston C Reply with quote

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
Which would be better?

To quote a series which is being re-run on TV at the moment...

Yes
No
Maybe
I don't know
Can you repeat the question

There is NO hard and fast rule. You got some fantastic information from Dan in Sydney on (I think) Monke rotaries recently. I know full well he played Mahler / Strauss / Wagner on both rotaries and pistons, Bach, Yamaha, Thein, Schagerl, Monke, etc etc etc. Regardless of the horn bing played, he sounded than (and still does) amazing as he was the dude playing.

It's not about the instrument, it's about the player.

If one is at boarding school, it is early days. Have the absolutely best Bb you can. Then the best piston C you can if it's needed. And so on, but this is WHEN it is needed.

After teaching for... a long time, I can still count the number of students who needed a C / piccolo etc in high school on (OK) two hands. Right now, one 17 year old is playing Bb for most things, C in school orchestra and flugel in big band when needed. Another is doing this and plays piccolo for baroque repertoire. One more is playing Bb and Eb in Haydn / Hummel.

That's it. The rest are playing Bb piston horns.

You're original question is about as musically relevant as my recent one to a colleague. I am performing Quiet City with his orchestra and still can't choose which trumpet to play. I asked him to nominate a colour - gold, silver, brass, bronze, copper, rusty to help me decide. It has ZERO to do with the music or playability, as all will do just fine.

So (you're at boarding school in the UK, if memory serves) get a Bach C and be done with it...

cheers

Andy
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary C VS Piston C Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
Which would be better?

To quote a series which is being re-run on TV at the moment...

Yes
No
Maybe
I don't know
Can you repeat the question

There is NO hard and fast rule. You got some fantastic information from Dan in Sydney on (I think) Monke rotaries recently. I know full well he played Mahler / Strauss / Wagner on both rotaries and pistons, Bach, Yamaha, Thein, Schagerl, Monke, etc etc etc. Regardless of the horn bing played, he sounded than (and still does) amazing as he was the dude playing.

It's not about the instrument, it's about the player.

If one is at boarding school, it is early days. Have the absolutely best Bb you can. Then the best piston C you can if it's needed. And so on, but this is WHEN it is needed.

After teaching for... a long time, I can still count the number of students who needed a C / piccolo etc in high school on (OK) two hands. Right now, one 17 year old is playing Bb for most things, C in school orchestra and flugel in big band when needed. Another is doing this and plays piccolo for baroque repertoire. One more is playing Bb and Eb in Haydn / Hummel.

That's it. The rest are playing Bb piston horns.

You're original question is about as musically relevant as my recent one to a colleague. I am performing Quiet City with his orchestra and still can't choose which trumpet to play. I asked him to nominate a colour - gold, silver, brass, bronze, copper, rusty to help me decide. It has ZERO to do with the music or playability, as all will do just fine.

So (you're at boarding school in the UK, if memory serves) get a Bach C and be done with it...

cheers

Andy

+1
ajsonyi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: It depends Reply with quote

Most in he US use pistons, unless it's required for certain music such as Beethoven, Brahms, etc.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It depends Reply with quote

ajsonyi wrote:
Most in he US use pistons, unless it's required for certain music such as Beethoven, Brahms, etc.

Both of whom did not write for a rotary (or piston) valved trumpet...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he still needed the post to be able to advertise his Yamaha in the marketplace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: