• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hello

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcraft

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I guess the polite thing to do when signing-on is say hello. I am a retired guy and brand new to the bugle and trumpet after many years of playing the guitar, I do read music. I started taking bugle lessons two months ago from a very accomplished young trumpet player/teacher. My initial goal is to learn to play Taps, hopefully someday I can sound Taps at Veterans funerals, being a veteran myself, although it will be a while before I achieve that goal. A couple of lessons ago, I asked my teacher if I could also learn to play Amazing Grace and Danny Boy? He informed me I would need some valves. Therefore, I happily acquired a very nice refurbished King 601 trumpet. Last lesson we started working in the Arban book. Now I am really having fun. I will go back to reading posts now.
Cheers!
Tcraft

Last edited by Tcraft on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

I'm a comeback player myself. Trumpet came kind of easy for me when I was in high school. I always thought that with a little practice, I could be pretty good.

Now, I think that with a LOT of practice, I could be good.

I've been on the comeback trail for about a year. I've definitely made improvement, but it turns out that sounding like Maynard Ferguson takes a little more effort than a couple of hours of practice a week. Some days it gets a little frustrating that I don't sound like Arturo Sandoval, but on other days, when things click, it's kind of fun.

In the last year I've played at church, at a wedding reception, an anniversary banquet and some other gigs. So far, they've all gone well and it's been a real pleasure.

Enjoy the journey.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard Tcraft

buckle up for safety

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! Let us know how you're progressing.

Alan
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I had an adult student a few years ago who was doing the exact same thing.
Just bear in mind that for many people, developing a clear, centered tone on a brass instrument is considerably different from guitar. In other words, it takes a lot of PRACTICE to develop a tone quality that's needed to play the very exposed 24 notes of Taps. And even though it seems like a simple thing to play, I can tell you that playing it well is NOT easy. I play in a band every weekend, almost never get nervous, but I do when playing Taps.

Best of luck, hope you stick with it.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: