• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler Question, Input Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown tired of playing "trumpet Russian Roulette" on e-bay for the past year, I promised myself that I wouldn't buy anymore horns without playing them first. Having said that, I now find myself wanting a new Lawler TL6-1A, because on paper it sounds exactly like my ideal trumpet. My impression is that it sounds like an old martin Committee (the "perfect" trumpet sound to my taste), with quality, handmade workmanship, and at $2000 is at the top of my budget. My wife even said OK, if I would just "STOP WITH THE EBAY ALREADY!" and get one trumpet I truly love. Since I would once again be buying a trumpet without trying it first, Is there anyone out there who DOESN'T like the Lawler? If not, why not? I'm not sure I deserve or need a new Lawler, (I'm not a professional, I'm just a comeback player at point), but I THINK that I WANT ONE.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to finagle a test drive. Nice qualities about Lawlers include very good intonation, and they can be made to fit many types of players but I would probably not order any horn sight unseen unless I was pretty sure it was going to work for me because I had played one just like it or one pretty similar.

Mike
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebelatheart,
I wrote the following topic (see link below) out of tribute to the new Lawler TL6R-1 that I bought this past summer. I haven't looked at another pretty face (horn) since. In fact I rarely even click on the HORN page of the TH. I happened to do so today and saw your post. Anyway, the link below sums up what I think of my horn.
Larry
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=12264&forum=15
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the link and read you post. THAT'S EXACTLY What I'm hoping for.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lawler TL6L-1, and it plays beautifully.

If I were you, I would avail myself of Mr. Lawler's trial policy for his standard horns. You can order the horn and try it in raw brass for 7 days (I think) after which you can return it for either a refund (if you don't like it) or for final finishing (lacquer or plating). This way you can make sure that the positioning of the finger rings, etc. is to your liking. (I think Roy fabricates his own rings out of cut brass tube stock, which limits the amount of radiusing that can be done. I found the ones on my horn a little too sharp-edged, and had them replaced with Schilke rings.)

You might also look into the Lawler "Committee" model (see photos on the "pricing" page within the Lawler website). This model uses the old Committee as a design basis, with improvements to correct some of the intonation deficits of the original design.

Hope this helps!
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've have owned a number of horns over the years including several Lawlers. My most recent is a Lawler TL6-1a. I have never wanted to have my equipment get in the way of my ability. One thing I have realized about this latest Lawler....If it doesn't happen now , it isn't the equipment....Actually, that is a relief. Now I know all I have to do is look at myself for the answers. This Lawler is so far above anything I can musically produce that there is no worry about the equipment. "Just play the damn horn" as a teacher once told me.
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't say anything negative about my TL6r-1a. I was so impressed with the trumpet, I bought Roy's flugel. Give Mr. Lawler a call or email him. He is very easy to work with and "down to earth". He has a 7 day trial period and can fit the horn to you. Don't be afraid to give him a call.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had owned and played 2 Lawler 21B-1a's (both raw brass).
Really liked the agility of the horn.
Good legit horn with average projection.

Also owned 2 Lawler 26BL-1a's (both raw brass)..
Really liked the feel of the horn and the jazzie sound.
An upper register I have not found a match for. Awesome.

Thought a combination of the the body of the 21B and the bell of the 26B would be great. Also was looking for a little richer sound from the 26B. Once I read Roy had created the TL6r, I knew I had to have it. Also, with him using Getzen valves, I was really excited. (My old student model's Getzen valves were some of the most reliable playing in the "Big House" on a cold November day.)

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago. It is scratched brass with clear lacquer. A real head turner under the stage lighting (much more so than average room lighting).

The scale is more even than the 21's or 26's I owned. And the intonation requires very-slight slide adjustment on low D and 4th line D.

Took it to Brasswind and played whatever they had in stock. Nothing was close.

This is a great all-around horn. I am happy now!

Listen to your listeners.

http://www.bigbandofpraise.com

[ This Message was edited by: Mikester on 2003-12-07 21:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mikester on 2003-12-07 21:28 ]
ajomdahl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had Roy build a TL5-1a. After playing it, I decided I wanted him to alter it to his Screwbell Trumpet System (STS) with a 6r bell. BIG difference in versatility! All aforementioned kudos apply: intonation, fluidity, response, etc are superb... It's back in Roy's hands for brushed lacquer finish. You really can't go wrong with one of Roy's horns. Andy~
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of really great horns out there. I love my Lawler....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: