• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador customising

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick janczak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Olds Ambassador customising Reply with quote

So I'm sure this subject has been asked before, but here goes, sorry (in advance) for repeating this question. Has anyone ever tried sticking a better bell and lead pipe on an Olds Ambassador trumpet? For someone like me who is on a budget, plays free jazz and owns a couple of these trumpets, I would be curious to hear from anyone who has done this. What kind of bell and lead pipe should I be looking at (obviously not going to be able to try it out until it's on)? Just thinking about something that works for jazz, flexible and free blowing and not too like hard work, if there is such a thing?
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most frequently-used non-Olds replacement leadpipes are the Pilczuk (just get an R45X for an Ambassador) and Bach. One Ambassador I bought already completed has a 5-1/8" Conn bell (just plain brass) and an earlier model Pilczuk pipe. Very professionally done in all respects, it's a very fine player. But unless you just want to change the bell, most of the customized Ambassadors I've run across have stuck with the stock bell. The leadpipe change is probably the most bang for the buck.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A popular Ambassador mod is to replace the leadpipe with a Bach 43 leadpipe and leave the bell alone. That seems to open up the trumpet sufficiently for most people. Removing the last bell brace gives it a more open feel, too, especially in the upper register. The durability doesn't seem to suffer without the last brace, as there are still 3 more braces going between the leadpipe and the bell, and the bell is pretty solid, too.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 7-8 years ago.. guessing.. there were a load of threads about custom leadpipe mods on Ambassadors. the search function on TH is ... crappy but maybe a search for Olds Ambassador Pilczuk or something might get you to many threads with great suggestions and actual horns done and tested. good luck.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16027&highlight=olds+ambassador+piczuk

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?mode=results

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try PVA and dialing in the gap first. I've also found putting a penny in the 3rd cap helps the high register.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the damn thing and buy a Buescher.

Seriously.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
About 7-8 years ago.. guessing.. there were a load of threads about custom leadpipe mods on Ambassadors. the search function on TH is ... crappy but maybe a search for Olds Ambassador Pilczuk or something might get you to many threads with great suggestions and actual horns done and tested. good luck.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16027&highlight=olds+ambassador+piczuk

Using google advanced search and limiting it to trumpet herald works pretty well.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:

Using google advanced search and limiting it to trumpet herald works pretty well.
Ahhhhh.. thanks.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Crazy Nate has a good idea with doing a valve alignment, if needed, and dialing in the gap, as two first steps. After that, check with Rich Ita and see which Pilczuk pipes he'd recommend. He has a lot of experience with mod-ing these. You could also check with some of the usual suspects, such as Charlie Melk and Bill Jones to see what mods they have done to these horns. Bill often makes up his own leadpipes for mods, so who knows what he's discovered.

Slightly off topic, I got an Olds Ambassador bell and Bill Jones told me it would make a good D bell for my Berkeley Winds Eb trumpet, once I cut it down to where it will actually get up to Eb with the stock bell. I was able to kind of stick it on the horn as it is and it does seem to play well in D.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
nick janczak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for some great advice and lots of useful information to go on. It is appreciated. I love my Ambassador and want to keep playing it, if I can improve on it, well that is even better!
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't replace that bell.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
I think Crazy Nate has a good idea with doing a valve alignment, if needed, and dialing in the gap, as two first steps. After that, check with Rich Ita and see which Pilczuk pipes he'd recommend. He has a lot of experience with mod-ing these. You could also check with some of the usual suspects, such as Charlie Melk and Bill Jones to see what mods they have done to these horns. Bill often makes up his own leadpipes for mods, so who knows what he's discovered.

Yeah, people are always looking to open up a "stuffy" horn by changing leadpipes, getting bigger mpc or drilling etc without addressing two areas that can have a dramatic effect on how the horn plays. Reeves even advises that you will probably need a mpc change after alignment, especially if you have been compensating for wacky alignment.

I've bought quite a few Ambassadors that I fixed up and flipped to students. The difference between the great playing ones and the dogs has always been how thick or thin the felts were.

If you've never experimented with gap, you will be surprised how the same mpc and horn will sing when you find the optimal gap.

I'm not saying that a change in leadpipe wouldn't open up some possibilities. However, I think the Ambassador is pretty well designed. They are tanks to take student abuse, but the quality of Olds' pro horns is still in there. Changing the leadpipe without addressing PVA and gap, you might be trading one set of problems for another.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Ambassador has a ML bore, 0.459 yes? I've found the GAP at the mouthpiece to affect these significantly. The effect of gap was, IMO, more immediate than the effect of fine-tuning the piston/valve alignment. Just the opposite of the small-bore 0.438 Conns, which seem flexible as to mouthpiece but with the smaller ports are helped hugely by PVA.

Stuffy feedback at the chops, muffled sound? Probably gap.

Uneven blow, trouble landing sweetly on each note across the scale? Probably alignment.

Clarke II, 3rd exercise will help you decide where to begin. Especially those phrases which have two or more possible fingerings.
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
A popular Ambassador mod is to replace the leadpipe with a Bach 43 leadpipe and leave the bell alone. That seems to open up the trumpet sufficiently for most people. Removing the last bell brace gives it a more open feel, too, especially in the upper register. The durability doesn't seem to suffer without the last brace, as there are still 3 more braces going between the leadpipe and the bell, and the bell is pretty solid, too.

What Dale said!

OR

Look in the marketplace for my custom built tuning bell Ambassador that I did that takes things one step further. I need to sell this and would make you a deal!
nick janczak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your custom built Ambassador! Looks great, bet it plays really nice indeed. Can't afford it though as I have sunk myself into debt over the last year buying studio equipment for a music/video project. The price seems fair just can't go there, stop tempting me! No! Can't...
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick janczak wrote:
I looked at your custom built Ambassador! Looks great, bet it plays really nice indeed. Can't afford it though as I have sunk myself into debt over the last year buying studio equipment for a music/video project. The price seems fair just can't go there, stop tempting me! No! Can't...

Sure you can!!! You can't beat that price for a custom built horn OR a tuning bell horn!!!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Harrelson did some gorgeous mods to an Olds Ambassador a few years back. I don't know if he still has the picture on his website but you might find it if you look around. I think it was called the "Ebony" trumpet.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds Ambassador remains one of the best student model designs ever. That's why people keep trying to modify it. Keep trying.
https://yourbrass.com/
ltbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Olds Reply with quote

Never just put a new leadpipe on, but turned one into a D trumpet. Plays well actually. My other Olds stays in Bb and works for me.
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the ultimate Ambassador... so who needs it???

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=55695&s=Custom-Built-Tuning-Bell-Ambassador
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: