• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcinkiewicz Coppola Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mark Bradley....
"Again, Marcinkiewicz makes an exact copy of an old #3 large bore Committee-- the Coppola. It's what I happen to play and it's a fabulous horn."

I have not heard of this model...anyone got info, input, report on these horns??? Thanks. I tried to email Mark, but the email would not go through. Anyway, the horn sounds interesting. kpb
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only things I know about the horn are that it's quite expensive, very free-blowing, and Johnny Coppola is my former teacher and good friend... I wish I could afford that horn, though I've got a feeling it'd be too big for me.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.marcinkiewicz.com/main.htm for their website, also it's the Vermeer link in instruments that you want.
Mark
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I corrected my email, in case "supportlivejazz" guy still wants to email me. But maybe the following will answer your questions:

To follow up on the Marcinkiewicz "Coppola"... it is indeed an excellent trumpet (I've mentioned it in previous forums). I bought it used and even then it still wasn't cheap, however as mine is, it sold new earlier this year for $3,300.

So this begs the question... is it worth that kind of money? Having played it now for a while I'd say yes. This Marcinkiewicz horn is truly a "super" horn, and its workmanship and playability ranks up there with the other elite boutique type horns-- Blackburn, Smith-Watkins, Monette, Lawler, etc. But having said that-- would I pay $3,300 for this horn (remember I bought it used for considerably less)? I doubt that I would. That's just too dang much. I'm not saying it isn't worth the money, because Marcinkiewiczs are hand made from the ground up and this Coppola is a real jewal, but if push came to shove and I suddenly needed a new horn I think I'd be inclined to try the Lawler Committee copy that everybody is talking about first-- after all, it's about $1300 less.

As for the 464 bore stepped to a 468 (Committee #3) for whatever reason I don't have any problem at all phsically playing this horn. Maybe it's the leadpipe or something because (to me) unless somebody told me I wouldn't have guessed it's a large bore horn. It is open, but not burdonsome to play. I assume a big characteristic of the Committees is that they don't lock into notes. Don't be looking for great slotting. You can really bend and shape what you play, but until you get a handle on doing that, keep a tuner handy!

A neat horn, the Coppola. I bet the Lawler is too. But just one other thought-- I'd really stay away from all these old Martin Committees you see on ebay. Goodness knows what you'd end up getting, and they ain't cheap either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: