• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Bach Strad vs. new Bach Strad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarnTootin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, In 97 I bought a new Bach Strad. I sent it back after a couple of weeks because it didn't play like my old Bach Strad did that I had in school. After 25 years, I tracked down my old horn and bought it back. It's a 69 model (#45xxx). It seems to play much better for me. Both horns are ML bore. Is it me or is there a difference in new ond old? What is the difference.

[ This Message was edited by: DarnTootin on 2003-12-07 22:38 ]
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality Control at factory may be in question. You can find great Bach Strads if you shop around.....
Bach Strad 43-43
Olds Ambassador Cornet 1.5 vc curry
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how you tracked it down. Did the person you sold it to still have it or did he or you have to do some detective work? Could you find my Mt. Vernon Bach for me?
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you found your old horn. Buying a Bach Strad is a crap shoot, you might find a a really good one and you might find a really crappy one. Quality control just isn't what it should be. However Selmer/Conn/Whatever sells every Bach Strad they can make and has people standing in line to buy more. Their horns are obviously as good as they need to be.
King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played great new Bachs as well as great old Bachs.

I've also played crappy new Bachs and crappy old Bachs.

Just because it says Mt. Vernon doesn't mean it's plays well - a collector's item yes, but it may be a dog.

Play before you buy.

romey
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No two instruments of the same make, model and adjoining serial numbers will respond and play the same.

Ya gotta PLAY a horn and find the right one for you!

The worst Bach Strad I ever played was a pristine 1955 Mt. Vernon in original 100% silverplate and factory 1st valve trigger. It was a ML with a 43 bell. Happy was the day when I found this horn and bought it. Happier still was the day I sold it. What a terrible scale that horn had!!!

The second worst Bach I HAD to play was the Army issue Bach I received in 1972 at my Army band. I tried every Strad they had . . . and that leaky valved dog was the best of the lot! That trumpet was an early Elkhart that simply had too many "miles" on it. Finally I could take it no more . . . and spent my weekends off duty looking in a three state area for the best horn specimen out there for me. I found it in a new LA Benge 3X.

However . . . quality control DOES vary between years . . . or even between work benches in any factory, so some years are "claimed" to be better than others. Most people feel the mid-70's Bachs were the worst. I've heard . . . and seen some really "horror stories" (pinky hooks mounted very crooked, poor buffing and/or plating, poor fit of slides, terrible inconsistencies).

Most horns COULD be made to play better with hours of hand tweaking and adjustments . . . but it wouldn't be economical so the horn wouldn't sell on the competitive market. Still . . . these makers do still exist for the perfectionists.

It sounds like your old '69 was a real good one. Cherish it . . . for a great horn is . . . well . . . a GREAT HORN!

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2003-12-08 13:36 ]
DarnTootin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to track this horn down about 5 years ago. The guy I thought I sold it to 25 years ago said it wasn't the horn I sold. About 2 weeks ago, I called the guy and insisted it was my old horn. He then agreed and decided to sell it. I believe he thought I was a mental case over the horn and wanted to get rid of me. Anyway, he played it about 2 years and held on to it for 23 more years. Looks like it did 25 years ago. It's like my old dog wandered home. My playing still sucks, but my old dogs back at the house. I can die happy now.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people liked the way older bach strads sounded due to the metal they were made out of. I might be wrong on this because I do not focus my attention on Bach trumpets at all, my interest lies elsewhere (mumbleSCHILKEmumble). It was my understanding that during the war, shell casings were melted down and made into musical instruments. These casings produced those Vintage Selmer Saxophones that so many pay top dollar for to get today. I'm not entirely sure that the trumpets received the same material but I would imagine so.

As far as the new ones go, Selmer quality control is piss poor. They'll let any old dog go to the music store even when it's terminally ill and has parvo spewing from the bell. I played a Gold Plated Bach Stadivarius 43 or 37 at dillons that featured the all too common dead sea otter option. Another horrible horn that I played was this monstrocity ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2563678703&category=41400&rd=1#ebayphotohosting ) . This was a horrible playing horn that had the above listed DSO option. I played it before and after the custom work (I knew the custom shop owner). I can't believe someone did the buy it now for $1800. It may make a nice lamp, you never know.

To get a good strad, I would ask the store for every single one they had, then play them all. Never Ebay a Strad, you're asking for trouble.

Regards.
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but in MOST cases older trumpets are made betterand will last longer. Not play better but last longer. The only thing that turns people off from older instruments is their appearance everyone wants to play on a shiny new horn, but i'd take an Old Olds Recording over a shiny new one n e day. In conclusion if u want a new one get a new one but old New York bachs or Mt. Vernon bachs are better in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but in MOST cases older trumpets are made betterand will last longer. Not play better but last longer. The only thing that turns people off from older instruments is their appearance everyone wants to play on a shiny new horn, but i'd take an Old Olds Recording over a shiny new one n e day. In conclusion if u want a new one get a new one but old New York bachs or Mt. Vernon bachs are better in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: