• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best trumpet to upgrade from student.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to upgrade from my Yamaha 2335 what should i get? under $1200. What are all ya'lls opinions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm sure at least someone has mentioned the Bach to you, I'm going to go ahead and say, just so you get some different opinions, not to.

There's plenty of non-strad step up or semi-pro trumpets out there.

Getzens, Stomvis, Any member of the Leblanc family, a cheaper Kanstul. For 1200, you're probably automatically going to get something mass-produced if it's new; not quite the same as handmade but that's fine.

Your best bet may be to watch ebay. I know if I had $1200 to spend on any trumpet, I'd be logged on to ebay in an instant. From there you can get just about any kind of trumpet you wanted if you have the patience to wait a month or more.

And, just for the record, Strads are not so bad, and you could get one on ebay and pocket $600
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Yammie's, a Xeno might well be in your price range at the right store, surely the 6000 series will. If you can spring for a bit more, a Conn V1 is a great choice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, get a pad and pencil. Second, play as many different types of horns as you can. Make notes about particular playing characteristics. Part of your trial playinng should include chromatics from low F# to as high as you can comfortably play plus a few extra that you normally can't, paying particular attention to where the horn 'shuts down'. Another thing to check is whether the horn plays in tune to itself. Play all 4 positions for top space E as quarter notes and really listen to the intonation changes as fingering changes.
Last, forget all about brand names. I know there are some great Strads out there, just don't buy anything without playing it first. In my opinion the Holton line is seriously underrated, give the T101 series a try as these are the orchestral offerings, but also try the MF horns if you can. My ST 550 is the best slotting horn I own, and it is considered a student line horn.
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY do you want to upgrade?
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many great ideas. I agree a Bach off of ebay can be a nice find. Before bidding checkout the sellers feedback rating and make sure you are clear on the condition of the horn. The best Bachs seem to be the early Elkhart (36,000 to 170,000 serial numbers). The 37 bell is the best all-around bell. Yamaha Xenos are great - the 8335 is my personal favorite - the 8335RGS has been popular but I am not a fan of reversed leadpipes.

Checkout the Woodwind and brasswind website (www.wwbw.com) and go to their outlet store. They have some New French Bessons 92BA in Silver for 800+ that are great horns. This horn was designed by Jazz Trpt player Marvin Stamm and is very close to a Bach. DO NOT confuse this horn with a French Besson Classic. I have never played a good one.
Dillons Music (dillonsmusic.com) has a large selection of used. Also, if you live in Alabama and can get over to Montgomery check out Capitol Music. The owner, Jim Darby, is a great guy.

Good Luck in your quest. That is 90% of the fun!

Mike
Atlanta
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to the above post mentioning French Besson, I have a French Besson Classic with the Najoom leadpipe, .460 bore, lacquer finish, and I feel it is a fine horn. I believe there are other posters on the TH forums who will agree with me, yes? I had a chance to buy either the Stamm or the Classic when making this purchase, and the Classic that I have seemed to be the best overall of the group of horns available at that time in that group of horns...

I am not a professional player, but I can play well enough to say that the French Besson Classic that I have has a very nice, sweet, clear, and focused tone, good intonation up and down the scale, good valves, good response, and for the money, seems to me to be a very fine horn. It would probably do a good job in a variety of musical contexts.

I have been told that the main difference between the Stamm and the Classic is the leadpipe, and perhaps certain cosmetic aspects; i.e., nickel silver outers on the tuning slides. The Classic has the Najoom leadpipe, which is certainly NOT a substandard feature. Actually, the Najoom leadpipe probably improves the horn, if anything.

Many people have different opinions regarding horns. There are those who say that Bach Strads are lousy horns, but that opinion does not make them so. I have heard a band director and accomplished trumpet player in this area say that Schilkes have a "brittle" sound and he would not play one. However, that does not negate the Schilke as a premier horn generally...

Donovan Bankhead, help me out here please...
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY? one thing i hate my Yamaha 2335 it's a piece of junk and secondly i played my buds Bach Strad and it was like night and day. I just want to get a better horn. Jeez
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with DaveH on this one. The French Besson Classic is anything but a substandard horn. It is the same quality horn on the Stamm designed French Bessons, but with a different leadpipe. The Classic is generally preferred by players who perform music that is more classical/legit in nature.
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider testing out several Bach Strads. The 37 seems to have a really nice all around response, while the 72 I would rather be playing lead with... Good luck on your Search, and remember to find something that is suitable for everything you need to play. Be ready to play chamber music to screamin' lead charts

Jon
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were up to me, I would get an Olds Recording (pre-1970s) or an Olds Mendez (same vintage).

Go to http://www.rouses.net and take a look at the price comparisons . . . what they went for back then in today's dollars. Then go look for three or four weeks on eBay. You get a whole lot of horn for not a whole lot of dough these days with the Olds.

I was a die-hard Bach Strad guy for years, and now I wouldn't dream of ever going backwards since I've become an Olds guy.

Plus, I don't get accused of having any kind of agenda from anybody when I play a horn that's "out-of-print" 'cuz I'm not particularly fond of the idea of representing anybody but me.

There you have it!

camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Big question, small answer. If you want something new (and who doesn't) Kanstul Chicago or French Besson Classic or Stamm-both made by Kanstul (great value), or Kanstul 900. I have owned both a Chicago and a Stamm and both are great. The Stamm, Bach like and the Chicago is a Benge. Of course is you like your Yamaha the 6335/45 is a very good trumpet, used by lots of great players.

Second hand, the Olds or Bach (try a few) or I'll throw in a LA Benge 3X (if you can get an MLP bore even the better)...don't pay silly prices for LA Benges there are still quite a few good ones around, $800 should be tops for a 3X+.

Dillons is a great source for these trumpets second hand but you'll pay a bit more.

Regards

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2003-11-27 23:14 ]
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my brach strad on ebay with a protec case, hand guard, 2 mpc's and a copy of ARBAN'S for $700. it was and is in mint condition and a beautifully sounding horn. got it from a student who switched to guitar. this'll be your best bet i think. arrange for a trial period with the seller and let your teacher play it when you get it to make sure that it's a good one. you might also run by your local tech and have it checked out quickly. let them give you the serial # and check how old it is. just my 2c,

nick
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a very nice Ebay Schilke for under $1200.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if i could do it all over again, i'd go for a nice B1 or X3...
Keyser13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acutally went though this. I had been playing on a Yamaha Student Model from 3rd grade to the end of my Junior Year of High School. I told my music teacher that I was looking to by a new horn. We took a trip to Sam Ash in NYC where I tested a Yamaha Xeno, a Calicchio and a Bach Strad. I found that a Strad felt like the best fit for me. The Xeno was tight above G atop the staff, and the Calicchio felt too dark to me. I have used this strad everyday since I bought it this summer. I use it on for concert band, marching band as well as lead work in Jazz. Anyway the best thing to do is to try any and all horns you can in your price range, because only you can decide what horn is the best fit for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of nice mid-priced horns come to mind. The King Flair is a well made horn that comes in silver and has a thumb trigger. UMI markets a Benge model that is basically the King Flair with a few different features. These horns can be had for under a grand. The Bach Strads go for around $1500 so you should be able to get a mint used one for 1200. YAMAHA Xeno (my fav) are around $1400 new so again mint used should be in your price range.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575263271&category=41396
This one isn't too bad but hurry there is only like 20 min left

King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's

[ This Message was edited by: OldKid on 2003-12-10 11:41 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2580484732&category=16214
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: