• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

food to eat/avoid as a trumpet player?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: food to eat/avoid as a trumpet player? Reply with quote

hey guys,
can you give some advice on what i should eat as a trumpet player? what should i avoid?
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: food to eat/avoid as a trumpet player? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
hey guys,
can you give some advice on what i should eat as a trumpet player? what should i avoid?

For your health or that of the trumpet?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, salty and spicy foods are killers. Nothing like having a completely dry mouth for a 3-hour gig on a hot stage. Horrible.

Hydration is just so critically important to your success and endurance! Going out all night drinking dehydrates you so much that it can ruin you at the gig the next day.

Before demanding performances, I always take care to avoid hangovers, moderate my salt intake, and properly hydrate. I love eating lean protein like fish or eggs before the gig.

I always drink flavored seltzer on stage because it has flavor to promote salivation but doesn't have any nasty sugar or acid to mess up your horn.

And always pack a toothbrush in your case!
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about food only, but a very interesting report:

http://beforhorn.blogspot.com/2011/05/lip-swelling-embouchure-performance.html

Not every part is for everyone, but it may poke you to think about whats different on bad days.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I always drink flavored seltzer on stage because it has flavor to promote salivation but doesn't have any nasty sugar or acid ,,,

Seltzer is acidic, like all carbonated beverages.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Turkle wrote:
I always drink flavored seltzer on stage because it has flavor to promote salivation but doesn't have any nasty sugar or acid ,,,

Well, yes, your point stands - seltzer is mildly acidic. However, it's nowhere near as acidic or corrosive as Coca-Cola or beer, is my point. The Ph level of seltzer is so mildly acidic that it's generally neutralized by contact with saliva. Coca-cola or beer, not so much! I mean, Coke has phosphoric acid in it. Yikes!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-On the day of a big gig, I basically eat like an athlete would: whole foods, emphasis on easily digestible, not high in sodium. I don't like meat, for me it dries me out and it's too heavy. I like to be full about 3 or 4 hours before the concert/audition and then a light snack about 45 minutes before to not be hungry during the concert.

-If a morning audition, bananas and granola bars so I can top up as rounds can end up being around 8 hours.

-In general, Michael Pollan's advice: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. (No processed foods). When coming up to the big thing, I stick to this advice very closely. I drink nothing but water in general.

Side note:
I had a bit of OCD (the real kind) in my undergrad where I let what I ate be connected to how well I did on trumpet that day. I ended up losing a lot of weight, accidentally, in order to "control" my good days and my bad days via diet. I had a lot of rules for myself. Don't let diet become intertwined with trumpet.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
mm55 wrote:
Turkle wrote:

Well, yes, your point stands - seltzer is mildly acidic. However, it's nowhere near as acidic or corrosive as Coca-Cola or beer, is my point. The Ph level of seltzer is so mildly acidic that it's generally neutralized by contact with saliva. Coca-cola or beer, not so much! I mean, Coke has phosphoric acid in it. Yikes!

The pH of beer varies, but it's about the same as seltzer, which also varies. Seltzer has a pH of about 3 or 4 (depending mostly on the carbonation level); comparable to orange juice or apple juice or beer. Saliva is very weakly alkaline; not alkaline enough to neutralize the acidity in seltzer or beer. Coke is definitely a stronger acid than seltzer or beer, but seltzer and beer are still significantly acidic. Plain water is not acidic.

Beer or Coke can suppress saliva; they contain alcohol or caffeine.

But I have a different reason to avoid beer and Coke (and seltzer) while playing: burping is not desirable while playing a wind instrument.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Turkle wrote:
mm55 wrote:
Turkle wrote:

The pH of beer varies, but it's about the same as seltzer, which also varies. Seltzer has a pH of about 3 or 4 (depending mostly on the carbonation level); comparable to orange juice or apple juice or beer. Saliva is very weakly alkaline; not alkaline enough to neutralize the acidity in seltzer or beer. Coke is definitely a stronger acid than seltzer or beer, but seltzer and beer are still significantly acidic. Plain water is not acidic.

Beer or Coke can suppress saliva; they contain alcohol or caffeine.

‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is different - listen to your body!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to disagree with anyone, but I have been a professional wind instrument player for half a century and I never paid attention to this.

It makes sense not to blow potato chips into your horn, but I never had a problem with anything I ate as long as I could rinse my mouth before playing if I felt I needed it (potato chips, LOL).

Regarding health, though, I usually stayed away from acid producing foods just before playing.

That's it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just normal nutrition considerations like any other activity, if you eat a poor diet you will feel bad. But there's nothing trumpet specific. I eat very spicy food every day, I drink coffee often also, no problems with any food or drink. Just stay hydrated.
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Not to disagree with anyone, but I have been a professional wind instrument player for half a century and I never paid attention to this.

you lucky guy...others have to think about shaving before a gig.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come down on the side of don't worry about it too much. Beyond avoiding things that you're allergic to or have some other aversion. i.e. "Cashews make my mouth itchy"

I've traveled and toured outside of the country, what is often available for food is definitely sketchy at times. As often as the food didn't agree with me, or wasn't what I am used to. It had no direct impact upon playing.

Cold weather, lack of sleep, elevation (above sea level), alcohol, dehydration (on and off airplanes is a killer) have MUCH more impact upon the chops. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years - had ZERO chop issues - perfect weather, constant humidity, Followed that with 3 years in Belgium, occassional chop issues returned.

Eat well, work on being generally fit, avoid salty, spicey, greasey overly processed things - common sense.. right?

HYDRATE. I'm fond of light teas (low sugar, green or white cold tea) or water with a little flavor on stage. Lemon/lime wedge in water or like a Propel type water. I find water alone rinses out the mouth and can compound any "on-stage" dryness.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OndraJ wrote:
. . . .others have to think about shaving before a gig.

I stopped doing that in 1992.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

I always drink flavored seltzer on stage because it has flavor to promote salivation but doesn't have any nasty sugar or acid to mess up your horn.

I am not a pro, but I do the same thing before practice.

I also brush my teeth thoroughly and chew gum for at least fifteen minutes before picking up the horn.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to figure this out. Recently brought a spinach burger to eat before a rehersal...not a good idea. I found that dry, hard breads, optionally with a dry veggie burger, are easy to rinse from one's mouth even without brushing your teeth.

For drinks, I stick to (sparkly) water (also to rinse my mouth before playing). I'm a huge coffee fan but I've read that it's not too good on your horn. When at home, I try to brush my teeth before playing, as I play a vintage horn that I'd like to stick around a little longer so I'm a little more careful with it. On gigs, I try to stick to water.

After returning home from a rehersal/gig, now that's another story. I can usually eat a whole meal and then have room for one more. Playing the trumpet makes me hungry.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid anything that gives you gas.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I avoid the foods I don’t want to eat, and eat the ones I feel like eating. But that’s just me.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

It makes sense not to blow potato chips into your horn, but I never had a problem with anything I ate as long as I could rinse my mouth before playing if I felt I needed it (potato chips, LOL).

Regarding health, though, I usually stayed away from acid producing foods just before playing.

That's it.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: