• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

food to eat/avoid as a trumpet player?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone already mentioned it, but I like to avoid salty things like popcorn, potato chips, instant ramen, and canned soup, unless I’m done playing for the day. I also have to be mindful of my caffeine intake on the day of a mid-high pressure performance
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things. I have a rather pronounced "cupid's bow??" on my top lip and salty stuff causes it to swell. My embouchure is offset to the left and not on that upper lip pork chop but when it swells too much things can get hairy. I also avoid nuts on days I have to play. You can never get those little bits completely out of your mouth and they probably wind up in your horn
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicy food. I had super hot Szechuan food between shows for Peter Pan.

2nd show, I totally splatted the trumpet solo in the overture. Ken Farrell, the conductor looked at me and held up two coffee cups. "This one is vodka, this one is coffee, which one do you want?"

Other than burning you lips on spicy food, I would avoid nuts that could cause an allergic reaction.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to eat EVERYTHING. Period. Has no effect, good or bad, on my playing. One thing though, I try to eat small portions of high energy fare before gigs with a LOT of liquid, mainly water. Then I eat whatever I want after the gig. I've always been pretty undisciplined about eating.....I love food.
Foods to avoid:

- dirt
- vegetables in excess (and by excess I mean more than once a week = )
- prunes (gag)
- oatmeal (I know, it's a superfood. I wish I liked it, but I can't even stand to be in a room where somebody ELSE is eating it. I find it repugnant)

keith
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think what exactly you eat matters much as long as (a) your mouth is clean before playing and (b) you're not dehydrated/hungover/malnourished while playing.

In college I used to pull 12-14 hour days eating junk food from the dining hall during band camp. I never had a problem, but to be fair the human body can handle more in our late teens/early 20s.

Also in college they used to feed us hot dogs and pretzels at halftime. Despite my best efforts in washing it down with water, a lot of that stuff got into my horn, which required more frequent cleanings.

Now I limit myself to water while playing. I always keep a water bottle close by in rehearsals. It's important to stay hydrated while blowing water vapor out of your horn for hours on end.
topazann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I think it is most important to be well hydrated. Beyond that, different people react in different ways to certain things. Foods that are spicy, high in sugar or protein, or caffeinated often effect playing.

Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are throat lozenges that might help calm the throat and make playing more pleasurable.

These are called "Tunes"

The more help I can get the better. I avoid the scales on fish however.

Nobody likes scales.

Plenty of Tunes and no scales, makes for a happy camper.

Homour aside, I eat and drink anything just as long as I brush my teeth well before playing.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
There are throat lozenges that might help calm the throat and make playing more pleasurable.

These are called "Tunes"

The more help I can get the better. I avoid the scales on fish however.

Nobody likes scales.

Plenty of Tunes and no scales, makes for a happy camper.

Homour aside, I eat and drink anything just as long as I brush my teeth well before playing.

See, I'm the opposite. I prefer scales waaay more than tunes. Scales are the recipe for making your own meals, but tunes are like eating someone elses regurgitated meals. Sounds disgusting, but I wanted to be in keeping with your food analogy thing.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that hydration is important so lots of water and easy on the salty foods. To be a little more specific, I do not eat things like shrimp or crabs that are covered with salty spices like Old Bay before playing. Not because of the salt intake but because these foods are frequently eaten with your hands and you get the salty spices all over your chops. I've found that to be a real problem.
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy necro-thread.

This falls firmly into the list of things I have never worried about. The only thing you shouldn't do is brush your teeth right before you play. Have something to eat first. Beyond that, just drink water. I promise this is not something you need to overthink, and it will not make or break your gig.
kurth83

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly different vein, as an older player, vulnerable to muscle atrophy due to age, I am careful to get adequate protein intake to support my embouchure, as inadequate amounts can cause muscle loss in us old farts.

In particular, protein is best taken after a workout, I use whey protein powder after my daily practice session (often combined with my regular workout too).
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork and Beans before a performance!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: