• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece safari

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Reverb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to say my safari is at an end. For all others who are still on one or contemplating one, there is solace in ebay and the Trumpet Herald Marketplace!!! Here in Phoenix is a virtual desert(yes, pun intended) as far as mouthpieces go. There are only four legit stores and they have the usual suspects-- The Bach and Schilke Show. These are great pieces, Bach for sound, Schilke for comfort. Oh, you'll find a couple a Reeves now and then and a couple others--maybe. Well, if it wasn't for TH or ebay, I never would have had the opportunity to try all the great other pieces out there. Guy's and Gal's don't be afraid to try the Monette's, the GR's etc...I never had any trouble unloading them on ebay. Yeah you probably won't get full price, but you will at least recoup most and sometimes all of your investment. I probably tried a dozen or so in the last year, while driving my wife nuts in the process, but I can't stress enough how much an efficient, comfortable mouthpiece will affect your playing. I settled on a Monette B4LD (got it used for$130), Monette MF II, (used-$100), Kanstul G1 (splurged--got it new) and oh, I did keep the ole' Bach 3C. So don't ever think you're stuck with what you have. Do what I did, get whatever you think might work for you and If it doesn't work out, you have TH and ebay. Good Luck!!!
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My safari is over. I've settled on a GR Tech e65M, a GR Tech e66MS and a Monette B4LD. I have purchased and/or play tested close to 100 mouthpieces (maybe more) over the past 1.5 years and settled on these 3. I've driven to WWandBW in IN a few times, sat in a room and played 20 mpc's in a day. Ridiculous! That doesn't work. Mouthpiece Express, Giardinelli, Woodwind and Brasswind, Ebay and TH Marketplace all provided me with the "supplies" for my safari. The "free trial" periods some of the retailers offer really aren't "free" because the shipping costs and restocking fees can sure add up! It's a little embarrassing when I think about it. There is no perfect mouthpiece, but I sure searched for it. If I would have bought one mouthpiece (say a Bach 3C) a year ago and spent as much time in practice as I did searching for the "holy grail" of mouthpieces, I'd be much farther ahead today with regard to my performance abilities. Live and learn, I guess. Safari's are a real time and money waster.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Heuer on 2002-02-25 23:31 ]
jdscreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even started a safari, but, since both of you have played monettes and grs, can you tell me the differences, pros, and cons?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: