• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herb Alpert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swingman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Herb Alpert done any recording since the Colors CD? Wasn't real impressed with that one, but I liked his previous three efforts (Midnight Sun, Second Wind, Passion Dance).
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friend;
Unfortunately no. He's totaly retired. I have his complete music colection, and is one of my favorite trumpeter. He's not the best player , I think his worst problem is in entonation. What make him Great is his one and only sound and expression. He have like 70 years old. A friend in California tells me that in a commemorative concert dedicated to Julius Wetcher of Baja Marimba Band he plays some songs ,at this time he fails some notes he explain that he"s some out of shape. Searching in his web site http://www.herbalpert.com theres no mention if he's planning to return to studio. I wish he rocord again because its a great to hear him palying in his style.
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go over to http://www.amcorner.com

That's a website dedicated to the A&M exclusively and lots of Herb Alpert discussion goes on there...There's a lot of great Herb Alpert information and posting there, as well as other A&M artists.

Herb's last recording was COLORS. I didn't care for it either. I have mixed opinions about the solo recordings of Herb Alpert - I like some recordings and not others...My favorite Herb recordings are with the original Tijuana Brass, from 1962 till 1969. These would be the LONELY BULL to WARM albums.

Herb is 68 years old at present and his birthday is March 31.

Herb is my all time favorite trumpet player, partly because I grew up listening to the Tijuana Brass and was tremendously influenced by them. I played in a TJB style tribute, or copy band for several years back in the sixties and early seventies. It was absolutely a wonderful experience; one of the best things I have ever done. Had tons of fun, met lots of people, played many, many different places and for lots of different events and circumstances, etc... Wouldn't trade it for the world...I had the opportunity to meet and play for Herb Alpert on a couple different occasions back then...he offered some excellent advice to me in the following regard: "you'll never make it copying me - you have to find your own thing, it's not about copying me..." That is exactly what Herb himself did, and he of course became one of the best known and popular trumpet players and musicians in history.

I do not consider Herb Alpert to be a trumpet player's trumpet player. Herb did so much to popularize the trumpet in particular and instrumental music in general back in the sixties. He is probably the most commercially successful trumpet player in history. He played music that was purely "pop," and as such, played to entertain the masses of people. In interviews, it appears that Herb has been mostly influenced by some of the jazz musicians of the past.

I like Herb because of his style and tone. Herb Alpert is a trumpet "stylist" - not a technician, IMO. And I like the "way" he plays, not how well he plays from a trumpet purist's point of view - can you see where I am coming from here? If I want to hear high notes or lots of notes or trumpet playing done as an exercise in technical excellence, I would not listen to Herb. I listen to Herb because I like to hear him play exactly the way he, and only he, plays - his sound and style is very pleasing to my ear, and I enjoy the music he plays. I love his tone. I don't care how excellent he is or isn't from a technical point of view.

I am of the opinion that Herb is retired from recording and public performance.

I am hoping that all the TJB recordings are eventually reissued on CD...that has often been a subject of discussion over at http://www.amcorner.com
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave h >
Im totaly aggre with you. you gave the best description oh herb like a musician. He' the greatest comercial trumpet player in the last 40 years.
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: