• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Home Recording Equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good info on trumpet mics on this page. Can we carry this further to include experience and recommendations for complete recording set-ups for the typical home practice room - bedroom or basement rec room? I think there are many out there who simply don't know what to buy so they can record their practice sessions so they can "hear themselves", their "sound". Minimum set-ups for starters. More elaborate set-ups for advanced players (also for those who can afford expensive equipment). Such info would be appreciated, I'm sure.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty wide range there, Don... I'd suggest a simple cassette recorder, ala Sony, for starters. Could get a minidisc recorder if you've the money and desire for digital (e.g., you could take digital into your computer), but for basic practice recording I choose K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). Use the built-in mic, or get an inexpensive dynamic mic (about $100 -- I wouldn't bother with the really cheap ones) from Sony, Shure, AT, AKG, EV, etc.

If you want to lay down several tracks, then Tascam makes a four track cassette recorder that sells for about $150US. You could record yourself playing parts of a duet (or quartet) and make your own play alongs.

For cheap play alongs, Band in a Box (I think it's about $30US for the basic version, more with extra tunes and such; I think I paid about $150 for the "MegaPack", but that was quite a while ago so prices are probably higher now) will work, assuming you can practice in the computer room, or record the BiaB output from your sound card to a tape (or whatever) and play it back in your practice room.

I've seen "home studios" top $100,000 so I'm not sure where to go from here. My setup ran about $5k with some decent inexpensive ($200-$300) mics. I use a Roland VS880EX (890 is the new version) with DS-90 monitors and the CD burner. Mics are a pair of AKG3000's, plus a C1000 and an Earthworks instrument grade (omni) mic I use for calibration and ambiance recording. The 880 is a hard-disk based unit with built in mixer, effects, preamps etc. I picked up a pair of cheap (~$200, I think) Sonus Blue Tube dual preamps as they seem to provide a "warmer" sound than the Roland preamps and I like having the extra gain and impedance matching available. They also provide phantom power for the mics.

My next recording purchases will likely be a Lexicon reverb and a few more mics (dynamics) for live work. For more inputs, and better preamps, get a little Mackie 1202 or 1402 mixer (about $300/$550, I think -- ain't checked prices lately). Of course, a U87 (Neumann mic, around $2500) or two would be nice...

Tom Turner has a setup he uses on gigs; he's described it several times on the Forum so hopefully he can cut'n'paste it hear, too.

HTH - Don
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Sony minidisc player and a Sony mic (mic was around $100 bucks). It works very well for what I need. Getting feedback from my playing. Sound quality is very realistic too. I like it.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Don O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good for starters, Don and Matt. But, Don, I thought the U87 was sunk in 1944. :-}

The simple cassette recorders do not really reproduce the true sound good enough. A little more sophistication is needed, where possible, which you have addressed Don. I know there are people out there, especially the younger ones, who would like to know exactly what components are needed for a complete set-up for not more than, say, $1,000.00 total investment. Used stuff's okay if in good repair.

And, Tom Turner, where are you?

Don II (or am I "1"?)
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy anything wait and checkout the new TASCAM POCKETSTUDIO-5! You will be so totally amazed!!!
It's a small handheld digital 4 track recorder. It has a built-in condensor mic., midi sound module, presets to play along with, is 24bit recording on Smart-cards, and capable of loading down into your computer as an MP3 file!
Check the Tascam website.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna check out a few things and get back to y'all... But, there's a bazillion (that's a lot -- maybe there ain't quite that many, but everybody exaggerates! ) of nice-looking recorders on the market now which, with headphones and a couple of decent ($100-$200 range) mics will set you back $1000US or less. From 4 to 8 tracks, MD, HD, built in effects, phantom power or not... Too many for me! I knew about the Roland/Boss unit, but there's a whole bunch of them by virtually all the big-name makers of recording gear. I have no idea which are good or bad -- time for a road trip to my local pro sound store to check 'em out!

Good luck! - Don

p.s. It was shocking to see how low prices have gone, and when I thin kabout how little I';ve used my setup and compare it to what i could get today for the same money -- sob!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: