• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cichowicz terminology

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Cichowicz terminology Reply with quote

I just wanted to clear up a matter of semantics. It has to do with Cichowicz' writings.

Somehow, Cichowicz' Long Tones were mistakenly called Flow Studies and they're not. Fell victim to this, myself.

There are two Cichowicz studies. Book One is Long Tones. Book two is Flow Studies. Many call the material found in Book One, flow studies. They are not.

https://warburton-usa.com/products/vincent-cichowicz-books?variant=39486202970163
https://warburton-usa.com/products/vincent-cichowicz-books?variant=39486202970163

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four VC books published by Studio 259/Balquhidder and now Hal Leonard. The first is Long Tone Studies. The second and third are Flow Studies volume 1 & 2. The last one is Fundamental Studies, which is a nice intro. It includes many of the long tone studies and some of the flow studies, along with other material.

The terminology is confusing because the long tone studies are basic air flow studies. The two books of flow studies are practical applications of air flow studies culled from vocalise, etude and method books.

Some of us have a compilation of VC studies that includes the long tone studies and the flow studies, with the flow studies unattributed to the original composer. Seemed like they were floating around every trumpet studio headed by a VC student.

Edited to correct a typo.
Bachatit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the cover of a book from Northwestern I've had a number of years:

Trumpet Flow Studies

A Collection from Various Sources for Course A21, B21, C21, and D21
by Professor Vincent Cichowicz Assistant Professor Luther Didrickson

On the inside: copies of handwritten notes by the instructors where various groups of slurs (called Long Tone studies in the recent book by Michael Cichowicz, Mark Dulin, et all) followed by studies gathered from various sources.

I suspect Mr. Cichowicz called them slurs at one point and long tones at another with coniderable overlap and that terminology was not particulary important to him.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in actuality, I call the "Long Tones" in book I, "moving long tones".
(Which, I believe, would be looked upon by most as meaning "flow studies".)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: