• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why few professionals on TH?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Why few professionals on TH? Reply with quote

Why do we have so few professional players on this site and what can we do to attract them back?

But before we proceed, let me state that there are "amateur" players who play at a professional level, so I don't mean to demean anyone. But professionals are generally goal-oriented. They just want to know what are the best options for them and then they move to other things which are more pressing.

Most professional on TH are also merchants. Not sure there are many professional who aren't and not sure they would be here if they weren't.

Some possibilities:
*redundant threads.
*quibbling over minutiae that don't really have practical use.
*repeating things they have no personal experience with; i.e. "urban myths".
*to gearhead oriented.
*no substantial discussions on musical themes.
*threads that make too big a departure from the OP question.

Anything else?
And what can we do to attract them back?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people who are active on TH are here for 2 main reasons -
1) what they can get
2) what they want to give

As far as attracting more pro players or teachers, what would they see as the benefit?

And would they be willing to tolerate the occasional 'questioning' that occurs.

Kitchen heat, etc.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why few professionals on TH? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Some possibilities:
*redundant threads.
*quibbling over minutiae that don't really have practical use.
*repeating things they have no personal experience with; i.e. "urban myths".
*to gearhead oriented.
*no substantial discussions on musical themes.
*threads that make too big a departure from the OP question.

Anything else?
And what can we do to attract them back?

IMHO I don’t believe any of these apply, except in the general sense that many people, myself included, don’t want to spend their down time discussing their jobs.

My personal belief is that they were driven off due to the same reasons James Becker and Trent Austin were. That is the blatant disrespect and attacks from the anonymous random keyboard jockies.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why few professionals on TH? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

My personal belief is that they were driven off due to the same reasons James Becker and Trent Austin were. That is the blatant disrespect and attacks from the anonymous random keyboard jockies.

^
This!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thgink you need to better clarify the difference between "professionals", who you want, and the "good amateurs", who you seem to think we have enough - or too many - of.

The number of full-time trumpet positions that do not require teaching is small: in the hundreds surely.

How many "good amateurs" are there? Figure 20,000 pro" trumpets are sold per year. Probably more. Twice that? Five times that? Ten times that?

If 1% or maybe 2% of your "good amaterus" are "real pros", I'd expect TH to be 1-2% "real pros". Why would you expect more?

Last edited by Tom LeCompte on Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn’t related entirely to pros, but some people stopped coming to the site when the mods cracked down on the mudslinging many years ago (post-audition complaints come to mind). Akin to watching NASCAR for the wrecks instead of the winners.

I think the change is good with less toxicity in that and in other veins. But that’s part of it.

More related to the topic, I’d say a possible reason is from the rise of other social media, namely Facebook. While I wouldn’t say what TH and Facebook offer is 1-to-1, there are some active trumpet-related groups on the site, and many big trumpet names are easy to find and send private messages to. Compare that to TH’s older forum-style of website, and I think many people find FB more convenient, at least enough to scratch the online trumpet itch for some. I’d say the pros who contribute most to the forum are generally older ones.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess:

1) The "Pros" probably don't have time
2) The "Pros" have a reputation to maintain
3) The "Pros" feel insulted when random Joe Blow mudslings at them
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the name callers, if you're a professional, you've probably worked with, or for, some of the biggest A-holes in the business. Do you really think they would shy away from a few name-callers if there were more high-value reasons for continuing on TH?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regarding the name callers, if you're a professional, you've probably worked with, or for, some of the biggest A-holes in the business.

Not limited to the music world!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regarding the name callers, if you're a professional, you've probably worked with, or for, some of the biggest A-holes in the business. Do you really think they would shy away from a few name-callers if there were more high-value reasons for continuing on TH?

I am sure that if a professional was paid to be a part of TH, like a gig where you work with some of the biggest A-holes, they might be inclined to take it.

But as an unpaid contributor to a forum like this, not so much.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Why few professionals on TH? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
professionals are generally goal-oriented. They just want to know what are the best options for them and then they move to other things which are more pressing.

My guess is you probably answered your own question. Professionals often have a lot of things vying for their time, so when they're gonna post something, it makes sense to use a medium that gives them the most exposure for the least amount of effort. TrumpetHerald isn't the best option for either of those (and it's popularity isn't something we as users can really fix). All the other things you listed probably contribute to some extent as well, but I doubt they are the main reason.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those late to the party, this is but one example of a most valued departure from TH:

James Becker wrote:
X200 wrote:
I use hand-rubbed mustelid baculum water key corks, which provide an excellent seal and contribute to loosely-defined, marsmellowy articulation.

Thank you X200 for reminding me why I've stayed away from TH for so long. It's dismissive attitudes like yours that have soured my willingness to post here. Congratulations for winning the internet with your lewd remark.

With two more days of isolation, I can get back to my daily job for the past 45 years repairing brass instruments, and leave this nonsense of TH behind. Adios!

I am sure that there have been many others that just simply stopped participating without public notice because of this type of nonsense and we all suffer for it! There are many like myself I would assume, that frequent TH for insight, knowledge, and a shared experience among many other valid reasons.

"When scurrilous thoughts become words and words become actions, we are most in danger of becoming an uncivilized and endangered culture!" -author unknown-

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you." (Matthew 7:6) It's a bit out of context, but sums it up nicely.

If I were a pro and could have a nice group text with other pros, or post here where just about anything they post will get shredded by pro-am keyboard jockeys....well, I know where I would go. I've often thought that the moderation was not thorough or tough enough, but that's not my call.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I originated this, maybe I'll add some thoughts.

I've very seldom seen posts where a poster attacked others outright. Yes, some silly statements but almost no outright aggression or insulting posts. There is one poster who I think is too blunt, but that's only one. And I can deal with that.

What I do see are posts that just outright ignore the OP topic and spiral into neverland. And topics that spiral into minutiae that have little practical value, ignoring the forest for the trees. And, perhaps most obvious, is the almost total absence of meaty musical content.

As is pointed out, I guess a working professional just doesn't have time for this.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

« Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
I really wonder why Mr Marsalis does not post on TH…

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, my post about being insulted is not a theory. The two pros l listed, one repair, one a player, explicitly stated it. As have other pros. I seem to remember insults flying around when dizzie’s horns were being sold off and drove off the person(s) associated with the sale.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my experience.

And Voltrane, if Wynton had a desire to post here, he's been around enough to make that "Chet" comment roll off his back. And right or wrong, he could probably destroy me, so I don't think that's the issue.

I get back to the issues and they are of substance, and of irrelevant quibbling, and self-appointed "experts".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a forum owner myself, I have come to a profound realization:

You can't please everybody.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
More related to the topic, I’d say a possible reason is from the rise of other social media, namely Facebook. While I wouldn’t say what TH and Facebook offer is 1-to-1, there are some active trumpet-related groups on the site, and many big trumpet names are easy to find and send private messages to. Compare that to TH’s older forum-style of website, and I think many people find FB more convenient, at least enough to scratch the online trumpet itch for some. I’d say the pros who contribute most to the forum are generally older ones.

Maybe it is partly a generational thing. A lot of people who contributed to TH back in the day have aged and might not be interested anymore, or aren’t alive.

The newer generation is more social media predisposed so perhaps a site like this isn’t a priority to the new generation of pros.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have any spare time they would use it for practice.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: