• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Got another one 1928 York trumpet maybe model 40 love it!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Got another one 1928 York trumpet maybe model 40 love it! Reply with quote

Not sure what model this is. Will know more when I get it. It looks like a model 30, but there's no straight brace on main tubes and it has an adjustable 3rd slide finger ring, which all pics I've seen don't show until the 1930's. When I get it I can measure the bore and bell to help narrow it down.

Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)

Last edited by dwgib on Tue May 16, 2023 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got a 0.47" bore and a 4.5" bell with and adjustable 3rd slide finger ring and a main tuning slide stop post(missing), so as far as I can figure it's a large bore model 40. Can't seem to find any pics of one though. What doesn't fit is the lack of double post on the main tubes, instead it has only the horseshoe brace on the tuning slide. I figure maybe the large bore didn't have the double post(?), because everything else fits, MOP slide pulls, finger ring, adj. 3rd slide finger ring. The bell etching only says York, rather than the York Band Instrument Co. as I've read should've changed in 1927, so it could be a transitional horn or something. Regardless, really nice and in great shape, although, the guy I bought it from said he ran it through ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm thinking he didn't rinse it well or wax it after, because it's got green tarnish in crevices. The acidic cleaners or I use just a vinegar solution, will do that if you don't neutralize after and a coat of furniture polish will keep it from tarnishing quickly, works great on silver too.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just playing it, love it, it'll be up there with my King Liberty and Martin. Ease of hitting high notes really surprised me because my lip is definitely not in shape. Nice dark tone, I thought it'd be very brassy because smaller bell and peashooter wrap, but it's not. Takes a lot of breath to play though, but that's good exercise for me, so not a problem.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: