• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Internal differences between the Xeno and Neo Cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

RandyTX wrote:
Just as an example, the Coyote saved me from several thousand dollars in instrument repair bills during a bad parking lot spill in nasty, icy weather after a holiday church gig.

Spill? Do you mean that you slipped on the ice? Sounds nasty.

Ending up ruining the suit I was wearing, but that was hardly the case's fault. I was a little battered, but the three horns inside, totally unharmed, despite it going flying about 20 yards over ice and asphalt/gravel. That heavy cordura they use? I don't know how, but it doesn't show a scratch on it, after years of use, or that bad fall.

Well, it's rather embarrassing in retrospect, but it was a nasty night for anything, smarter people would have been at home. It was just before Christmas, it had been cold and rainy during the day, but after the sun started going down, it dropped below freezing and by the time I was done playing inside, the rain already on the ground was freezing, and it was sleeting outside.

To make matters worse, a left out a back exit of the church, not well lit, and there was a section of newly paved sidewalk leading to the parking lot, and though I should have been more careful, obviously, I slipped while stepping off the curb, and trying to keep my balance, I ended up essentially 'chunking' the case off my shoulder, but fell pretty hard despite my efforts to avoid it.

The case went sliding across a sort of half-paved, half-gravel, icy surface, with a C, a Bb and a picc inside the hard case, and some mutes in an external, attached soft sided bag, and ended up under the back end of a parked car well away from me, while I tore the knee out of my suit trousers and was lucky not to hit my head, I suppose or it would have been much worse for me.

I was more worried at the time about my horns, thinking that hard case or no, that was no way to treat them, and when I got home and opened the case up, I was shocked to find no dents, no bent or warped slides, everything working just as when I put them up after I was done playing earlier.

The only casualty, other than my knee and a pair of suit trousers, was a straight mute in the external bag, which to this day still has 'gravel-shaped' dents in the coppper bottom of it. Other than that, I pretty much got off scott free, and the Coyote bag paid for itself instantly and then some when nothing inside of it showed any evidence it ever happened.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Hi Lou,

Just saw this thread after being out for a while. Nothing really to contribute but read with interest. Congratulations on the new horn and having one you like.

Hi cgaiii

Thank you very much.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

RandyTX wrote:
Just as an example, the Coyote saved me from several thousand dollars in instrument repair bills during a bad parking lot spill in nasty, icy weather after a holiday church gig.

Spill? Do you mean that you slipped on the ice? Sounds nasty.

Ending up ruining the suit I was wearing, but that was hardly the case's fault. I was a little battered, but the three horns inside, totally unharmed, despite it going flying about 20 yards over ice and asphalt/gravel. That heavy cordura they use? I don't know how, but it doesn't show a scratch on it, after years of use, or that bad fall.

Well, it's rather embarrassing in retrospect, but it was a nasty night for anything, smarter people would have been at home. It was just before Christmas, it had been cold and rainy during the day, but after the sun started going down, it dropped below freezing and by the time I was done playing inside, the rain already on the ground was freezing, and it was sleeting outside.

To make matters worse, a left out a back exit of the church, not well lit, and there was a section of newly paved sidewalk leading to the parking lot, and though I should have been more careful, obviously, I slipped while stepping off the curb, and trying to keep my balance, I ended up essentially 'chunking' the case off my shoulder, but fell pretty hard despite my efforts to avoid it.

The case went sliding across a sort of half-paved, half-gravel, icy surface, with a C, a Bb and a picc inside the hard case, and some mutes in an external, attached soft sided bag, and ended up under the back end of a parked car well away from me, while I tore the knee out of my suit trousers and was lucky not to hit my head, I suppose or it would have been much worse for me.

I was more worried at the time about my horns, thinking that hard case or no, that was no way to treat them, and when I got home and opened the case up, I was shocked to find no dents, no bent or warped slides, everything working just as when I put them up after I was done playing earlier.

The only casualty, other than my knee and a pair of suit trousers, was a straight mute in the external bag, which to this day still has 'gravel-shaped' dents in the coppper bottom of it. Other than that, I pretty much got off scott free, and the Coyote bag paid for itself instantly and then some when nothing inside of it showed any evidence it ever happened.

Sounds really nasty, and I'm so really sorry to hear this. I may reply further later, have to go out now.

What please is the design of your Coyote bag?

Sounds excellent in terms of protection, durability and quality.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

To make matters worse, a left out a back exit of the church, not well lit, and there was a section of newly paved sidewalk leading to the parking lot,

I know the situation well lol.

and though I should have been more careful, obviously, I slipped while stepping off the curb, and trying to keep my balance, I ended up essentially 'chunking' the case off my shoulder, but fell pretty hard despite my efforts to avoid it.

I can imagine, and I'm really sorry to hear this. Happened to one of my colleagues on a job before Christmas. She seemed ok at the time, but sadly ended up doing quite a bit of damage to her back, resulting in having to see a chiropractor.

Yes, definitely.

I'm so really pleased to hear this.

The only casualty, other than my knee and a pair of suit trousers, was a straight mute in the external bag, which to this day still has 'gravel-shaped' dents in the coppper bottom of it.

I'm obviously sorry about your knee, pair or suit trousers and straight mute, but I'm really glad that all your horns were ok.

Other than that, I pretty much got off scott free, and the Coyote bag paid for itself instantly and then some when nothing inside of it showed any evidence it ever happened.

I completely agree.

Louise

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, I’ve gone back to my original brass band that has a matched set of Bach 184MLs. I don’t really want to go back to the Bach 184ML, although there is nothing wrong with, I just prefer the more typical British Brass Band sound of the Xeno/Neo. I therefore decided to try my Xeno at my rehearsal tonight, thinking that the yellow brass lead pipe etc. may give a sound that blends better with the Bach 184MLs. I feel that it did blend better. I can definitely hear the difference that the gold brass lead pipe etc. makes to the Neo.

I back to backed the Neo and Xeno at home a couple of days ago, after tightening the trigger screws and replacing the internal valve felts on my Xeno with new Yamaha ones. I feel that tightening the 1st slide trigger screws has got rid of that odd vibration.

I would honestly say that comparing them back to back, they play the same, the Neo just has a different sound.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great information Lou. I have cornets in the back of my mind, so I like reading through this thread and learning.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
All great information Lou. I have cornets in the back of my mind, so I like reading through this thread and learning.

Obviously I'm no expert, but thanks very much.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the differences between the Yamaha NEO Gen 1 and Gen 2?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Do you know the differences between the Yamaha NEO Gen 1 and Gen 2?

I don’t believe that there is a generation II Neo cornet.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Thomann It says 02.

Yamaha YCR-8335 G 02 Cornet
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
In Thomann It says 02.

Yamaha YCR-8335 G 02 Cornet

Maybe because the Xeno cornet was also the YCR-8335. I have both the Xeno and Neo, and the only differences as confirmed by the Yamaha London store, is that the Neo has a gold brass leadpipe, tuning slide and crook where the tubing enters the third valve, and a taller main water key chimney. Otherwise they are identical.

I don’t know, but maybe the Xeno cornet is the YCR-8335 01 and the Neo is the YCR-8335 02.

I could be wrong. I however haven’t personally heard of an updated Neo model.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there a couple 'variants' of the neo, which I know since I just got one... depending upon if it is silver plated or not, and underneath the plating, gold or yellow brass bell. (you can specify either material, plated or not, for four total variations)... mine is silver plated, but with the gold brass, instead of yellow..

which makes mine an 8335 GS02, according to the paperwork that arrived with it.

the S02 is silver plated with yellow brass bell.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
there a couple 'variants' of the neo, which I know since I just got one... depending upon if it is silver plated or not, and underneath the plating, gold or yellow brass bell. (you can specify either material, plated or not, for four total variations)... mine is silver plated, but with the gold brass, instead of yellow..

which makes mine an 8335 GS02, according to the paperwork that arrived with it.

Yes, there are four variants:

YCR-8335
YCR-8335S
YCR-8335G
YCR-8335GS

G indicating a gold rather than yellow brass bell, and the S meaning silver-plated.

Since identical model numbers were used for the Xeno, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 02 just means Neo rather than Xeno.

If so the differences between the 01 and 02 are the differences between the Xeno and Neo.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the Yamaha Music London store the following message via their website in June:

Hi. I contacted Yamaha Support but my email came back as undeliverable. Would you either know the answer, or be able to find out for me. Many thanks. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Louise Finch To: "UK.Support" Cc: Bcc: Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 18:05:59 +0100 Subject: Differences between YCR-8335 Xeno and YCR-8335 Neo cornet Hi I have just upgraded my YCR-8335 Xeno cornet with a Neo. I'm extremely pleased with my new cornet. The only differences I can see between the two, are the introduction of gold brass to the leadpipe, tuning slide crook, and crook where the tuning slide enters the 3rd valve, and a taller chimney on the main water key. Are there any other differences? Is the lead pipe identical apart from being gold brass? It doesn’t really matter as I own both anyhow and am very pleased with them, as I am with my other Yamaha instruments, but I would just like to know for curiosity’s sake. I really hope that you can help me. Many thanks Louise

Their response was:

David Hunt (Yamaha Music London)

Jun 13, 2023, 13:44 GMT+1

Dear Louise,

Thank you for your email and we are sorry for the delay in replying. These are the only differences in the 2 cornets. I think the Neo has a warmer sound, personally, due to the gold brass addition, but there are no other differences, as far as we are aware.

Yours sincerely
David

Yamaha Music London

152-160 Wardour Street
London
W1F 8YA

I again may be wrong, but I'm think that if there were two generations of the Neo, Yamaha Music London would have said so, and tried to ascertain which I have, unless of course a 2nd generation model has come out since June. If it has, I haven't heard about it.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there is no Neo II on the Yamaha UK website, whereas the other models are shown as either generation II or III:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/winds/cornets/index.html

However there is a Neo II on the Yamaha US website:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/cornets/ycr-8335/specs.html#product-tabs

There however doesn't seem to be any differences between the cornets, so I imagine it is just a nomencluture issue.

All the best

Lou

Edit. I've just found a YCR-8335 02 Neo on a UK website, but the description describes the updates from the Xeno to Neo, suggesting in my opinion that the 02 just signifies the change from the Xeno to the Neo. If there was a second generation Neo, I would have thought that it would have referred to updates on the Neo, not changes between the Xeno and Neo:

https://johnpacker.co.uk/products/yamaha-ycr8335-02-neo-bb-cornet?variant=43805167026395
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ver much for the information.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome. There could of course be a 2nd generation Neo that I'm not aware of, but I don't think there is. I think that it is just nomenclature.

Are you actually looking to buy a Neo. If so, it is a great cornet in my opinion, but the differences between the Xeno and Neo are not enough to buy one over the other, if you find a Xeno in very nice condition.

Despite the marketing, I think that the introduction of gold brass to the leadpipe, tuning slide crook and crook on the tubing where it enter the third valve, is owing to a potential red rot issue in these areas of the Xeno. I'd therefore look for this in any used Xeno for sale.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already bought one, second hand. Thanks.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
I already bought one, second hand. Thanks.

You are very welcome. You've bought a Neo and you are trying to work out what version you have, or whether there is an updated one to yours? If so, I think that they are all the same.

What bell option and finish does yours have?

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I've yet to discover any markings on the cornet itself that makes it clear what bell material mine is made of. Other than perhaps tracing it via a serial number and Yamaha having it in a database somewhere, I'm not sure how you would ever know for sure if you found one for sale without the original papers. The 'manual' that comes with it is generic, covering apparently every instrument they make, but in 20 different languages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: