• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can't play above the staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . a kind of musical death sentence" but a lot of euphonium players would take issue with it."

Ever hear Rich Matteson or Brian Bowman?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am self taught for 52 years as when I began there were no trumpet teachers within 100 miles; no YouTube; no Internet; no microwave ovens; no social media (people were very friendly in those days) and no cell phones. I experimented over the years with various mouthpieces and various bore horns (I'd stop at every Musical Instrument Store just to try out horns). The tried and true methods such as Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach which uses a half dozen other method books; The Maggio System For Brass etc work very well.

One particular individual exercise has cropped up in discussions again and again with many great lead players and that is Octave Glissandos. Air Compression is the key (in my experience) as well as finding the correct balance of equipment.

Dr. Bill Churchville has stated that we all have to determine where we like to feel the resistance in our set-up. I believe that practicing anything correctly will build your range (Arturo Sandoval claims that he never practiced range). I practice for 60 - 90 minutes out of CGSA as I watch the Tube (usually SciFi or True Crime).

Hope this is Helpful.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: