• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using digital effects with microphone

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an RE-20 Space Echo for live shows & for recording. Love it! A nice feature is that you can tap the time for the delay to match the tempo before hitting the go pedal. Don't know your situation, but when I use it live it's with a dedicated sound engineer who is already familiar with what's about to happen... if not, can be a little risky. Have fun!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/re-20/
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty cool pedal, might have to add that to the arsenal!

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long-time guitar player (failed "rock star wannabee"), it is indeed the proverbial "rabbit hole".

My muse was Jimi Hendrix. Impossible for me to emulate, despite buying several electronic sonic enhancement devices (commonly called "pedals"), as well as real-time amplification hardware, such as Leslie rotating-speakers (one was similar in size as a small refrigerator, and weighed over 100-lbs
) ... and, a few expensive, high-end, boutique amplifiers (still have them).

I soon realized I was never going to be Jimi, reincarnated. It is quite "in the hands (and fingers)", rather than recreating electronically-enhanced effects.
Hendrix was / is an icon.

Interestingly, along that path of trying to be something I could never be, I discovered my own personal sound, and style of playing electric guitar.
My late friend, Danny Gatton (Google him, if not familiar. He was known as "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitar Player" and, "The Humbler") ... urged me to ditch the electronic gadgets and find "my own voice" on the electric guitar ... which I did.

I now believe electronic enhancement has a place in the horn-playing world. I hope to learn more, here.
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on a video on youtube, and there actually are a few to watch regarding effects for trumpets, and general setups. It has gotten me a little bit interested, so I think I'll consider getting a microphone now, and try my guitar stuff.
LucyCo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
As a long-time guitar player (failed "rock star wannabee"), it is indeed the proverbial "rabbit hole".

My muse was Jimi Hendrix. Impossible for me to emulate, despite buying several electronic sonic enhancement devices (commonly called "pedals"), as well as real-time amplification hardware, such as Leslie rotating-speakers (one was similar in size as a small refrigerator, and weighed over 100-lbs
) ... and, a few expensive, high-end, boutique amplifiers (still have them).

I soon realized I was never going to be Jimi, reincarnated. It is quite "in the hands (and fingers)", rather than recreating electronically-enhanced effects.
Hendrix was / is an icon.

Interestingly, along that path of trying to be something I could never be, I discovered my own personal sound, and style of playing electric guitar.
My late friend, Danny Gatton (Google him, if not familiar. He was known as "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitar Player" and, "The Humbler") ... urged me to ditch the electronic gadgets and find "my own voice" on the electric guitar ... which I did.

I now believe electronic enhancement has a place in the horn-playing world. I hope to learn more, here.

I also like to experiment, but I found inspiration in the style of Joe Satriani, who showed me the importance of creating my own musical voice. But I still can not give up imitation and develop unique ideas. I'm trying to be more confident with my musical palette, maybe I need time.
bzzn87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can totally use pedals like a guitar player to experiment with effects on your microphone. Some popular ones for vocals are the TC-Helicon VoiceLive series and the Boss VE-20. For synthesizing and reverb, check out software like Ableton Live or Logic Pro if you're into digital audio workstations (DAWs). And yes, that trumpet in 'Ego Death' was epic! Just wanted to add that I've recently discovered the incredible benefits of ASMR microphones. They can be a fantastic addition to your toolkit as they offer excellent sound quality and transmission. So, you might want to explore an ASMR microphone that covers all your recording needs. It's amazing how versatile they can be for experimenting with different effects.

Last edited by bzzn87 on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Piezo Barrel Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
atrumpeter wrote:
Yes, but it comes with a plug you can use to play the piece regularly, which works great.
Thanks; that's the same as what I used back then. I agree, the plug (mine had a rubber ring/seal and a flat silver top) worked fine. In those days, before nodes, heavy caps, Amado water keys, loosening spit valve springs etc., it's amazing that having a partially-filled hole in the mouthpiece didn't seem to make any difference.

I have acquired such a mouthpiece. It has the above mentioned drilled hole and housing for the piezo connection. It came with a Vox cornet I bought. The cornet had a hole drilled in the bell to connect to a cord from the mouthpiece.
L.R. Baggs made such a set-up, and was used accordingly by Miles Davis.
Strobe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for battery powered amps that have enough Wattage or efficiency to be used in a live performance (assume samll to mid sized or close outdoor venue) that work well with the trumpet (maintain the original tone etc)? Read about the Roland Cube EX and the Yamaha THR 39II but didn't find comments on their use with trumpet or flugel. Also any mouthpiece/amp combo suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm looking to try experimenting with pedals/sound effects (i.e. Snarky Puppy). I play in a few jazz bands and a rock band. Thanks
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strobe wrote:
Any recommendations for battery powered amps that have enough Wattage or efficiency to be used in a live performance (assume samll to mid sized or close outdoor venue) that work well with the trumpet (maintain the original tone etc)? Read about the Roland Cube EX ....

This is exactly what I use. I have both the Boss Cube Street II (upgrade of the original Roland Cube Street) and the Roland Cube Street Ex (larger version of the Street).

They both run for hours on 6 or 8 AA batteries. I just use rechargeable batteries. They both generate a ton of clean sound, enough for small/medium indoor/outdoor performances. And they both come with standard effects (reverb, echo, chorus, etc) and 3-channel EQ. The Street II also has a harmonizer and looper.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Strobe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Strobe wrote:
Any recommendations for battery powered amps that have enough Wattage or efficiency to be used in a live performance (assume samll to mid sized or close outdoor venue) that work well with the trumpet (maintain the original tone etc)? Read about the Roland Cube EX ....

This is exactly what I use. I have both the Boss Cube Street II (upgrade of the original Roland Cube Street) and the Roland Cube Street Ex (larger version of the Street).

They both run for hours on 6 or 8 AA batteries. I just use rechargeable batteries. They both generate a ton of clean sound, enough for small/medium indoor/outdoor performances. And they both come with standard effects (reverb, echo, chorus, etc) and 3-channel EQ. The Street II also has a harmonizer and looper.

Mike

Thanks for the input and confirmation that they could work well. This reallyhelps.Can you recommend a specific mic? Thanks again!
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strobe wrote:
Thanks for the input and confirmation that they could work well. This really helps. Can you recommend a specific mic? Thanks again!

I'm pretty simple when it comes to microphones. I use a Shure SM58 when wired for both trumpet and chromatic harmonica. When I go wireless, I use the NUX B6 for trumpet and the NUX B3 for harmonica.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: