• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Daly Routines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Daly Routines Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post.

I've been thinking lately that it may not matter what routine you choose to do i.e. Adams, Stamp, Rhienhard, etc. all that really matters is that you do something.

Am i correct in saying you need to incorporate, tonguing (single double triple), long tones, intervals, scales, lip flexibilities, fingering technique. There may be more that needs to be incorporated but I think that may be the basics.

Does it matter what we use as long as we do something? I'm never going to be able to go back and study with Adam or Caruso, or Stamp etc. They made specific routines for specific students. If you study with a teacher that was say an Adams student for example it's still not going to be the same right? It's not actually Adams creating a specific routine for me (i'm not trying to argue or say anything badly about any teacher out there now. It's just a question)

I hope this rant makes sense.

What do you think?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've reached a great conclusion! Many don't get to this realization and get stuck in really rigid and dogmatic ways of thinking about the trumpet and routine.

Joey Tartell in his video below boils it down to: Sound, Flexibility, Tongue, Fingers. They are fantastic large "food-groups" to start. Then you can get really specific (like the Barbara Butler Laundry List): "extreme high and low registers, extreme loud and soft dynamics, slurs and lip trills, beauty of sound and power of sound, single/double/triple tonguing, metronome work, slow and fast tempi, sight reading, transposition, trills turns & ornaments, high horns, lyric playing, intonation work." (MikeHuff -- Trumpetherald)

Trumpetstud wrote:
Does it matter what we use as long as we do something?

Yes and no. Without getting too into long term programming for improvement, as long as you are hitting the major food groups and then also delving into the laundry list, you should be good. It's nice to keep a routine for a couple of months at a time so you can really know if you're performing at the same level every day and hopefully reducing the amount of mental and physical effort it takes to achieve your routine. You should aim for 70% very easy and accessible and 30% just outside of your comfort zone.

In order to know what you need to improve, you can turn to music and etudes to highlight your deficiencies. Then evaluate those deficiencies and develop exercises to incorporate into routine. The ideal is to not need somebody to program for you, but to have done so much listening and being exposed to music that you know exactly what you need.

Trumpetstud wrote:
If you study with a teacher that was an Adams student for example it's still not going to be the same right? It's not actually Adams creating a specific routine for me

Correct. It's not the same. However, "established" routines are informative in that we see what it is that people/schools prioritize and what baseline skills we need first thing in the day. From those routines we can build upon as we need for ourselves. That being said, routines are just notes in a particular order -- ideally we are able to play all notes in all orders -- they are just notes and sounds in a particular rhythm! Nothing special.

Some good places to start: adam routine, stamp routine, chris martin (https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1316839), mike sachs fundamentals book, and others.

Enjoy!

Link
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a comprehensive daily routine is a good way to assure that you touch on everything - it eliminates the need to decide (perhaps wrongly) what needs to be addressed that day.

I think a big point of doing the routine, and practice in general, is always be consciously aware of how well you are playing and to strive for excellence.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am i correct in saying you need to incorporate, tonguing (single double triple), long tones, intervals, scales, lip flexibilities, fingering technique. There may be more that needs to be incorporated but I think that may be the basics.

Does it matter what we use as long as we do something? I'm never going to be able to go back and study with Adam or Caruso, or Stamp etc. They made specific routines for specific students. If you study with a teacher that was say an Adams student for example it's still not going to be the same right? It's not actually Adams creating a specific routine for me (i'm not trying to argue or say anything badly about any teacher out there now. It's just a question)

Those are good things to practice. What exactly needs to be part of your routine depends on you as a player: Your current ability, the music you play, your goals, etc. Bobby Shew, for example, doesn't triple tongue and has never found a need to.

Your question focuses on "what," but I would suggest that HOW we practice those fundamentals is at least as important as which exercises we choose to practice. In that regard, some players may find certain routines helpful in that they try to address the "how" part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: