• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

horizontal and vertical aperture size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadsTB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: horizontal and vertical aperture size Reply with quote

Hi again!

Just wanted to ask another question:

I wanted to ask about something i havent found in the encyclopedia, but have read on this site about vertical and horizontal aperture size.

i wonder how Reinhardt's teachings address too small a vertical opening for high register. What are the signs of too little vertical/too much horizontal opening for playing high?

And how would the reinhardt teachers on this forum have a student work on this?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having a problem?

What is the trouble, and why do you think it has to do with the size and shape of your aperture?
It is related to high rim pressure for high notes? If so what happens when you aren't able to get the note to be produced?

My general opinion is that the aperture size and shape can be manipulated in various ways by the muscles around the lips, and by use of the jaw to adjust the position of the lower teeth in relation to the uppers. Transferring some pressure onto the lower lip can relieve the pressure on the upper and enable the upper lip to work better.

Using excessive rim pressure to crush the lips into position rarely gives good long-term results. Yes, rim pressure is needed to help support the aperture and lip tissue, but the lip needs to be able to vibrate / pulsate - not be immovable due to excessive rim pressure.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that "vertical aperture size" is a useful thing to concern yourself with.
MadsTB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i guess it might be a bit oddly specific.

i am asking these questions as mye range development stopped and hit a bit of a wall. after getting into reinhardt i got to a high C and now im here trying to find out what to look at now.

guess i really just should set up a lesson
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your 'when fresh' dependable actual playing range?

If your playing range goes up to about a G or A above the staff, but you can sometimes squeak-out up to high C, then you likely still have some problems with basic embouchure technique (related to my earlier question about rim pressure).

If you can do some actual good playing up to high C, then it might be more a matter of discovering and learning the small adjustments for notes above that.

Basically, it is a matter of developing the muscle control and coordination to make the very small lip / embouchure / air changes that enable the aperture to produce the higher pitches. Easy to say, not so easy to do!

A good teacher would be a big help, because they could see and hear what you are doing and guide you in the right direction. Self-analysis is not dependable because you might not have the needed knowledge, and you might not have correct awareness of what you are actually doing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
MadsTB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play to a Bb/B under high c comfortably with a full sound when fresh.

Its not tiring to play «that high»and it feels easy and efficient, as in just as much air as needed. However when trying to work above that the sound gets smaller and vibrations stop. It FEELS like my lips scrape and Are to close vertically which is why i Ask about the vertical Thing. I Get its the wrong thing to worry about.

Mouthpiece pressure has never plagued me, in fact i have had to learn to use a bit more as it stabilizes a bit for me.

Thanks for the answers guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: