• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I going to Jazz Hell?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
Anyway, how horrible am I?

You are the worst.

(before anyone gets upset, I'm just kidding )

Last edited by Mike Sailors on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Trumpetstud wrote:

You are the worst.

Yes you are And you can bypass Pops, too. Everyone knows that it was Sydney Bechet, King Oliver and Buddy Bolden who were the true progenitors of Jass, anyway.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? No. Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
If I don't really care to listen to Louis Armstrong am I going to Jazz Hell? I really like more contemporary jazz. Terrell Stafford, Terance Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis. I like Miles' music but I don't really care for the Fusion stuff.I like Dizzy but I don't ever see myself being able to play BeBop (fast)!

Jazz hell should describe an afterlife without any jazz.

In any case, when you're listening for pleasure, don't feel like you have to listen to Louis Armstrong and like it just because somebody else says you have to listen to him and like it.

OTOH, when you're listening to learn, you may want to consider "Pops" and all his famous contemporaries from the era when their style was a big part of what was considered trendy popular music. Especially Armstrong. He had a way of turning phrases and putting together solos that few ever matched, even in later sub-styles of jazz. The opening cadenza in West End Blues is something we all should hear at least once when learning about how to play jazz. Studying Armstrong's scat singing is as equally helpful as studying his trumpet solos.

A very rough analogy may be approaching William Shakespeare when learning to appreciate English literature. No one speaks like that anymore, or writes like that, but "The Bard" had a way of turning a phrase and telling a story that is worth analyzing. I don't know too many people who will sit down and read his plays or even his poetry for sheer pleasure. But nearly everybody who attended school in an English-speaking country had to take the time to scrutinize passages from Hamlet or analyze rhyme schemes from Shakespeare's sonnets. "To be or not to be." "My mistresses eyes are nothing like the sun....."

I couldn't stand reading Shakespeare. I always loved to read though. Am I going to literature hell? The only literature hell I can think of is a place where I can never read any books.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
Trumpetstud wrote:

You are the worst.

Yes you are And you can bypass Pops, too. Everyone knows that it was Sydney Bechet, King Oliver and Buddy Bolden who were the true progenitors of Jass, anyway.

Jass. You didn't think we were going to miss that, did you? Wow Kehaulani, you really are old.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
Jass. You didn't think we were going to miss that, did you? Wow Kehaulani, you really are old.

When God said, "Let there be light", who do you think flipped the switch?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who really want to play Jass - it dates back to 1796 (or so Wikipedia knows)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jass

(Sorry for side tracking)
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Didymus wrote:

When God said, "Let there be light", who do you think flipped the switch?

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
If I don't really care to listen to Louis Armstrong am I going to Jazz Hell? I really like more contemporary jazz. Terrell Stafford, Terance Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis. I like Miles' music but I don't really care for the Fusion stuff.I like Dizzy but I don't ever see myself being able to play BeBop (fast)!

I think I’d end up there with you… Not always my cup of tea, yet still a great player!
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
There's always room in Jazz purgatory.

Well ... isn't it required for a soul in purgatory to have those still here on Earth (and alive) pray for his / her soul to be "elevated to Heaven" through prayer, specifically FOR that soul "stuck" in purgatory?

(Am not exactly sure how that [?] works ... and, I was once being "groomed" for the Seminary by Jesuits)

Last edited by Man Of Constant Sorrow on Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
Trumpetstud wrote:

You are the worst.

You are correct, my son.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal hell would be having to listen to RAP, eternally.

Possibly, followed by the warblings of Yoko Ono. Tiny Tim doing background vocals (with "Miss Vicky" cheering him on).

"CRAP" (Country / RAP) would be in the mix, I'm certain.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I liked Harry James and Ray Anthony, Bix Beiderbecke. But it was listening to Pops' St. James Infirmary late one night when I was supposed to be sleeping, that made my blood curl. And I really appreciated just how deep jazz could be.

Preferences? Bix more than Pops. Chet more that Wynton. Coltrane more than Getz. So what? You can learn a great deal from each of them.

I'm guessing you either meant blood curdle or toes curl. They have opposite meanings though, so I'm not sure whether you loved St James Infirmary or hated it haha
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood curdle.

Or as we say in Hawai`i, "Get chicken skin".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:

Straight ahead to hell. How horrible? Nope not horrible but missing out on opportunities to learn. History is there in order to be learned from.

And if not Louis´s sound, what about his phrasing!!!! And:
" his immensely compelling swing; his brilliant technique; his sophisticated, daring sense of harmony; his ever-mobile, expressive attack, timbre, and inflections; his gift for creating vital melodies; his dramatic, often complex sense of solo design; and his outsized musical energy and genius made these recordings major innovations in jazz".
( https://www.britannica.com/biography/Louis-Armstrong )

On the other hand: your taste is your taste and should be protected by the constitution!!!
One man´s taste is the other one´s waste!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure,...I don't revere Miles. *ducks for cover*
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:

You can't help how you perceive something. I've shown what I consider to be great pop recordings of earlier eras to younger people to see how they strike someone used to current pop trends - they generally have an "eh" reaction to songs I think are fantastic - for example: American Pie, Maggie Mae, Fire And Rain, Saturday In The Park, Mandy, I Feel The Earth Move, Annie's Song. Strongly melodic tunes like that often don't seem to resonate with younger ears.

I like listening to Louis and if the bio I've always heard about him is correct it's pretty amazing that he reached the prominence he did given the realities of his early life.

That being said I think he's a bit over-hyped by jazz aficionados. Wynton's genuflection in "Ken Burns' Jazz" becomes comical. Louis was great, his style while unique for the time didn't really evolve much past where it was in his early adulthood. I regard it as silly to give him credit for all of Western music's evolution.

You mention Dizzy - as I understand it there was friction between Dizzy and Louis. Dizzy at one point apparently was vocal about not being a fan of Louis' style and Louis didn't care for later jazz styles. Later Dizzy amended his position, said that he owed a debt to Louis. Not sure whether it was more for social/political reasons or if Dizzy genuinely believed it.

An interesting event is what I believe to be the one time that Louis and Dizzy performed together. They come from different parts of the jazz universe but to my ear it's fantastic. I'm sorry they didn't do an album together, I don't know if anything like that was ever considered.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Bump)

Halflip wrote:
EdMann wrote:
I believe that he's too important to ignore.

+1

I seem to recall reading that, according to the major critics and musicologists who have a jazz focus, Louis Armstrong brought jazz further along its evolutionary path than anyone.

Anyone.

If he didn't know about this while he was alive, I hope he knows it now from on high in jazz heaven.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is a music hobbyist, then not liking or studying the music of such foundational players as Satchmo or Miles is your prerogative but if you are a serious student of jazz improv and a pro player then you are only doing yourself a disservice by not studying or being aware of the importance of their body of work. The work of both artists are foundationally important to not only the history of the music, but also how improvisation applies to current music/genres.

As for having such a staunch blanket opposition the the entire genre of rap, I would counter that it's a pretty wide genre with many directions-like any style there's some good and some not so good. There are many rap/hip hop artists are are doing very creative and musical work. It's a 50 year old genre and has included some artists as Branford Marsalis, Maya Angelou, Kenny Garrett etc.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
There are many rap/hip hop artists are are doing very creative and musical work. It's a 50 year old genre and has included some artists as Branford Marsalis, Maya Angelou, Kenny Garrett etc.

Not to mention Humpty Hump, a personal favorite (RIP, Humpty).

GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Bill Ortiz wrote:
There are many rap/hip hop artists are are doing very creative and musical work. It's a 50 year old genre and has included some artists as Branford Marsalis, Maya Angelou, Kenny Garrett etc.

Not to mention Humpty Hump, a personal favorite (RIP, Humpty).

I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom, and I like my oatmeal lumpy.

Not a rap song, Seven Minutes of Funk has been sampled dozens of times by rap artists big and small. That's me, second from the right. (Click on the link to see me!) Yes, I like some rap, and I like Varese and Freddie Hubbard. I don't like the banjo.

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: