• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I going to Jazz Hell?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizB wrote:
Halflip wrote:
Bill Ortiz wrote:
There are many rap/hip hop artists are are doing very creative and musical work. It's a 50 year old genre and has included some artists as Branford Marsalis, Maya Angelou, Kenny Garrett etc.

Not to mention Humpty Hump, a personal favorite (RIP, Humpty).

I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom, and I like my oatmeal lumpy.

Not a rap song, Seven Minutes of Funk has been sampled dozens of times by rap artists big and small. That's me, second from the right. (Click on the link to see me!) Yes, I like some rap, and I like Varese and Freddie Hubbard. I don't like the banjo.

Link

I play (or, at least, give it a good try) 5-string Banjo; Scruggs style (not easy).

I DO NOT care for RAP. (If I provided what those three letters stand for, I would be permanently banned from this website. The "cancel culture is everywhere ).
I don't care if Botti, Venzutti, Marsalis, et al, do it.
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I DO NOT care for RAP. (If I provided what those three letters stand for, I would be permanently banned from this website. The "cancel culture is everywhere ).

Hip-hop. 50 years of musical, literary and cultural brilliance.

Don’t like it? Don’t listen. Don’t learn.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow, if you are so averse to “cancel culture,” then please enlighten us on what those 3 letters stand for.

If you don’t like rap that’s fine but your very strongly worded opposition and complaints about cancel culture makes me think that your distain for it goes beyond just music.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ignore anyone ....

Have a problem with that ?
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good idea
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... actually, there is a possible "silver lining" to this cloud of gloom cast over those of us who buck the cancel-culture, and are not intimidated.

Rumor has it that Boy George ... now released from prison ... is thinking about re-forming his old band ("Culture Club") ... and is gonna rename it: "Cancel Culture Club".

Now how/why is this news mentioned here?

Boy George likes the idea of horns in his new band.
Stay tuned for audition announcements ....
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, that's a lot of hostility there, MocS! Just for the record, I never denigrated banjo players or those who like them. I just don't care for the sound of the banjo. I must admit, I have heard some killer banjo players, and the musicianship is incredible. Take Vince Gill - please! Seriously, I've heard him and his band in concert - excellent musicians all, and I enjoyed those concerts. I just don't have any banjo music in my collection.

If your definition of rap would get you banned from this site, it must be pretty awful. I wish you peace and an end to your sorrow. Shanti shanti shanti.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Boy George is thinking about re-forming his old band ("Culture Club") ... and is gonna rename it: "Cancel Culture Club".

I can't lie - that's pretty funny! And for the record, I like some '80s music, including Culture Club, and especially Tears for Fears. Still don't care for the banjo. . . .
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizB wrote:

Whoa, that's a lot of hostility there, MocS! Just for the record, I never denigrated banjo players or those who like them. I just don't care for the sound of the banjo. I must admit, I have heard some killer banjo players, and the musicianship is incredible. Take Vince Gill - please! Seriously, I've heard him and his band in concert - excellent musicians all, and I enjoyed those concerts. I just don't have any banjo music in my collection.

If your definition of rap would get you banned from this site, it must be pretty awful. I wish you peace and an end to your sorrow. Shanti shanti shanti.

I''ve seen Vince Gill a couple times, Early in his career ... and, a couple years ago with his "Time Jumpers" band.

Check-out "Bela Fleck and The Flecktones" ! Considered to be the finest banjo-player in the world today. Plays jazz, prog, traditional, avant-garde, blues, reggae, rock, metal styles.

Regarding the term, "RAP".
I did not have anything to do with coining the original definition. However; it seemed to gain traction, and was used for a good while. I recall hearing Howard Stern use it often, if that might provide context. Also; the inimitable Don Imus (R.I.P).

I'll provide a hint: R (first letter of a term, formerly used to apply to mental-patients, "special people") ... Attempting ... Poetry.
Now considered offensive. Hence; no longer acceptable. Someone may feel uncomfortable.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People used the word rap decades before any sordid assigning of the letters to words. People rapped - talked. Rap "music" was based on the spoken word -rapping. If "rap" became an anacronym for anything else, that was a later development.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the term, "RAP"…

Referencing Stern and Imus provides the context and indeed confirms Bill Ortiz’ suspicions.

“R” has always been considered offensive. Everyone knows this.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Spoken Word in Music Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
People used the word rap decades before any sordid assigning of the letters to words. People rapped - talked. Rap "music" was based on the spoken word -rapping. If "rap" became an an acronym for anything else, that was a later development.

Yep. And I'll add that I'm old enough (maybe not as old as you ) to remember when "rap" had several uncharacterized slang definitions.

-----

The idea of spoken word and music having an inter-genre relationship is old, it definitely predates rap, and by predate I don't mean Gill Scott-Heron. Mr. Scott-Heron arguably gave us the missing evolutionary link between bebop and hip-hop. Spoken word stretches back further. So far back that one can argue that one of the main reasons for music, in addition to accompanying dance, was to accompany spoken word performances or retellings of stories or legends. Beowolf was spoken word. The Iliad was spoken word. The Epic of Gilgamesh was spoken word. The Psalms in the Bible, in some part, could have been spoken word. Any type of "chanting" to music is technically spoken word.

I bet that, like everything, the majority of spoken word through the history of humanity was simple, everyday banal and/or vulgar krap. Many cultures used the genre as their sounding board for news and commentary of the common man. In modern times, we have the ability to record it, monetize it, and then play those recordings over and over again like sung pop music. I guess that's the reason why there are so many strong opinions of it. You have some true artists who do things with it that are memorable and creative, and the rest of it is as forgettable as anything else. That's not an indictment of "retards attempting poetry", it's a reality that follows any creative act, especially if the target audience is the everyday person on the street. Some of it will be wonderful for its time, a very small portion will achieve immortality, the rest of it will be disposable junk.

To try to bring this thread back around to the OP's subject, when Louis Armstrong's style was the pop music of its day, record companies pushed out jazz that was, to be honest, ridiculous sounding krap. Some of it made a lot of money for those who played it. Now their 78s are smashed landfill stuffing; their names are remembered only by collectors and historians. Louis's music and his performances are going to be around forever, or at least as long as we have recordings of it. I think that 's why all the experienced jazz players are advising, at least listen to learn, even when one doesn't necessarily like it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee. All that time that we were rapping, we never knew that the "R" was a dirty word. Imagine that.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Gee. All that time that we were rapping, we never knew that the "R" was a dirty word. Imagine that.

You may want to checking your spelling… (I’ll fix the quote once you make your correction.)

Read the definition of “R” from Sorrowful Man to which I was referring.

oy vey…

Last edited by poketrum on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poketrum wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Gee. All that time that we were raping, we never knew that the "R" was a dirty word. Imagine that.

You may want to checking your spelling…

LOL, that's hilarious. Thank you. (Changed.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to imagine what Louis might have been thinking when nobody else was doing what he was doing.

Don't compare him to musicians like Marsalis or Blanchard; compare him to his contemporaries or individuals (or groups) who preceded him. Try to imagine how different, how courageous, he must have sounded back then.

https://www.biography.com/musicians/louis-armstrong-biography-facts
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view, the majority of those who complain loudly about how bad "cancel culture" is are some of the biggest cancelers against what THEY don't like.

I don't know what this is being brought up-nobody was talking about canceling anyone before it became a talking point here.
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"cancel" can by synonymous with "ignore".
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, I beg to differ-ignore means to not pay attention to something that you may not like or agree with and let them be. Canceling is a deliberate and aggressive act of taking away someone's livelihood, forum or public standing. Ignoring and canceling are not the same-they're opposites.
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
With respect, I beg to differ-ignore means to not pay attention to something that you may not like or agree with and let them be. Canceling is a deliberate and aggressive act of taking away someone's livelihood, forum or public standing. Ignoring and canceling are not the same-they're opposites.

Semantics.

There are many, MANY synonyms for "cancel".
Far more than I feel like typing-in on my trusty iMac.
A cursory Internet search yields literally dozens and dozens.

[BTW ~ No need to preface, "With respect ...".
That term has become meaningless. Politicians are fond of that phrase, along with "categorically". Whenever I see (in print) or hear those terms, I roll my eyes. ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: