• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chuck Mangione

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Chuck Mangione Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Chuck followed a certain school of thought in his music i.e. Claude Gordon, Callet, Caruso, Stamp etc?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. Mangione was exposed to many great jazz musicians while he was growing up and learning trumpet. I know he regarded Dizzy Gillespie -- whom he had met and played for on several occasions -- as a huge influence.

Mangione graduated from Eastman in the early 1960s. Sid Mear was the trumpet instructor then. Mear studied with Clarke and Pattee Evenson, who was a student of Schlossberg. Mangione would have been exposed to lots of Clarke and Schlossberg.

I know Mangione was in NYC for a few years in the 60s, and played in Maynard Ferguson's band. Not sure what he might have picked up from Ferguson.

None of this directly answers your question, but at least offers a sense of who might have influenced him.
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note for history buffs (or just guys not as ridiculously old as me). I used to listen to "The Jazz Brothers" (Gap-piano and Chuck) on the radio. I think it was out of Rochester. This was pre-Land of Make Believe/Feel so Good days. Chuck had some impressive chops. I think the attached link was Sal Nistico's (also in the group) first recorded solo. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9hJVaif_JU

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck did play and record with The Jazz Messengers. i don't think Art Blakey would have hired Chuck if he didn't have the chops to keep up.
Later in his career Chuck's chops seemed a little off. He seemed horribly out of tune at times. Friend of mine toured with him and always had good things to say.
Met Chuck around 77 at The Bushnell in Hartford, Ct. My sister, girlfriend and I snuck backstage after the show. Tip toed around expecting to have some security person throw us out. Someone says, hey how are you? Turned around, it was Chuck. He was really friendly and talked with us for about 10 minutes.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Mangione played with Maynard's band on Sunday, June 27, 1965 at Cleveland's Musicarnival (theater in the round.) I sat in the front row right in front of Maynard- pretty exciting day for a high school trumpet player. Maynard, Mangione, and others in the band, including Lanny Morgan and Willie Maiden, signed my LP of MF's "Color Him Wild" but I didn't know anything about Mangione at that time. Who could have guessed Chuck Mangione would later become a household name. He had to have good chops to tour with MF!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an ardent follower of Chuck at all, but for those who haven't played it, 'Feels So Good' has more range than one might initially realize. Chuck made it sound easy on the flugel, but he popped out some fairly high notes for a flugel - and made them sound good, too.

Another note; there's a vid of Chuck playing on YouTube when he's having a really rough time one night; seems like years ago some folks were laughing at him performing as he did in that particular concert. To my way of thinking, he was struggling - and it's obvious; he was sweating profusely - but he didn't kink out on his obligation to play, and had the guts to man up and put out the best he could. Kudo's to anyone who agrees, 'The Show MUST go on'; Chuck obviously did and, for that alone, he gets my respect.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding his range on Feel So Good, I read an interview of him and when that topic came up, he laughed and said, "I don't know what I was thinking".

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regarding his range on Feel So Good, I read an interview of him and when that topic came up, he laughed and said, "I don't know what I was thinking".

^^ Love it!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I'm not an ardent follower of Chuck at all, but for those who haven't played it, 'Feels So Good' has more range than one might initially realize. Chuck made it sound easy on the flugel, but he popped out some fairly high notes for a flugel - and made them sound good, too.

Another note; there's a vid of Chuck playing on YouTube when he's having a really rough time one night; seems like years ago some folks were laughing at him performing as he did in that particular concert. To my way of thinking, he was struggling - and it's obvious; he was sweating profusely - but he didn't kink out on his obligation to play, and had the guts to man up and put out the best he could. Kudo's to anyone who agrees, 'The Show MUST go on'; Chuck obviously did and, for that alone, he gets my respect.

Pretty sure I've seen the video you're talking about where Chuck's normally robust chops were obviously beyond fried and he's struggling through the gig.

On the other side, here's an example of Chuck hitting it out of the park - part of a "Dick Clarke Salute!" honoring Chuck trading licks with Doc Severinsen.

Also from that same show Chuck, his brother Gap and Steve Allen.

Link

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: