• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_norstog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Thane Trumpets Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I was at a band practice. Miles, the band leader, had a new whip. IO thought he had just cleaned the patina off his old instrument, but he said it was new. It really sounded good and he was all over the staff with it. He said it was a Thane, made in Portland.

I called Logan at Thane. It is a one-man shop. He said I could come in and try a few horns. I did that yesterday. Those are REALLY good instruments! I play a King Silver Sonic and the Thane horns were just better on all counts. Tighter, more fluent, and with a stronger core to the sound. Each version was different and each one was good.

They all slotted better than my King, but I could bend notes almost as easily, and get changes in tone by changing my embouchure slightly. They more reliably hit notes above the staff and had a cleaner sound below the staff.

These are great instruments and they are priced like a high-end, mass-produced horn.

Austin is selling them, but I think it is worth a trip to Portland to try the different configurations. I'm going to put down a deposit after the new year.

https://thanetrumpets.com/bbtrumpets

jn
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to try out one of these, I would drool over it if it's anything like my Yamaha NY Gen 3.

Brushed lacquer, fancy stone inlays, I'd feel like a champ.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! I was just at Logan's shop a few weeks ago.

I've been playing on a Thane for a while now, and I have multiple friends who have ordered their own after trying mine.

Logan is a fantastic person and the quality of his work is better than anything else I've tried. I don't know if you got the chance, but he had a horn with a gold brass, large taper, 37 bell diameter in shop and it sounded incredible!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my clients in our bike shop is a trumpet player, he let me do a ride on his Thane. Very impressif. Very nice horn
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Thane trumpet for 2.5 years now and can’t say enough good things about it or about how good it was working with Logan to find the horn that fit me.
ronnyc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Schilke S42 and a S42L tuneable bell, very efficient med. bore horns. Logan was good enough to make a gold brass 37 style bell with a slightly larger diameter for the S42L, which warmed the sound up nicely while retaining core for my concert band and church playing. Great work, would love to try his branded horns someday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: