• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Equivalent for Trumpet Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccb_22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Cornet Equivalent for Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I play on a Yamaha 14B4 trumpet mouthpiece. If I buy a Yamaha 14B4 cornet mouthpiece, that's going to have the same rim, cup, depth, etc right? So it's going to be "the same thing", right? I mean, I know it's not exactly because of the different shank and blah blah blah, but it should feel the same on my face right? Thanks in advance for staying on topic.[/u]
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet Equivalent for Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

ccb_22 wrote:
I play on a Yamaha 14B4 trumpet mouthpiece. If I buy a Yamaha 14B4 cornet mouthpiece, that's going to have the same rim, cup, depth, etc right? So it's going to be "the same thing", right? I mean, I know it's not exactly because of the different shank and blah blah blah, but it should feel the same on my face right? Thanks in advance for staying on topic.[/u]

The cups and rims should be the same, within manufacturing tolerance. If your trumpet mouthpiece is really old, maybe there has been a change. And depending on your cornet, will sound about the same. The "blow" of your cornet may feel a bit different. Cornet's vary a lot more than trumpets usually in those aspects of tone and feel. Which make them make more fun, IMHO.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to play such a shallow mouthpiece on your cornet?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
ccb_22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Because that's the mouthpiece I decided I want to play.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccb_22 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Because that's the mouthpiece I decided I want to play.

I don't want to pick a fight or fuel a fire, but I would have asked Kehaulani's question differently. What's the point in having a cornet if you choose to play it on a mouthpiece that will (or at least may) make it sound like your trumpet?
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
I don't want to pick a fight or fuel a fire, but I would have asked Kehaulani's question differently. What's the point in having a cornet if you choose to play it on a mouthpiece that will (or at least may) make it sound like your trumpet?

It is a good question. If I may weigh in: I think the answer is because there's still gonna be a difference, just less pronounced.

I have some modular mouthpieces at home, as well as a cornet (Olds Super) with a trumpet receiver. I've been experimenting with a cornet-to-trumpet mouthpiece adapter, versus just using a trumpet mouthpiece. Because the mouthpiece is modular, I was able to compare an identical cup with a trumpet backbore vs a cornet backbore on the same instrument (and compare it to a trumpet as well). Effectively the setup is as similar as you can get it, with a cornet that's as trumpetty as they come.

The sound and response are still different. Compared the trumpet backbore, the cornet backbore was much easier to switch between partials, and easier in response, not to mention a bit more timid. Even so, while I can get close to a trumpet sound on the cornet when using a trumoet mouthpiece, there's still a subtle audible difference when I record myself.

Whether that difference is enough is mostly for the OP to decide though.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I play trumpet and cornet, earlier having much trouble switching I´ve tried different combinations and the one that seems to have solved the problem is the following: I use the same mouthpiece, a Schilke 14 3 D3 but a trumpet version and the cornet version. These mouthpieces were custom made to me by Schilke.
They are exactly the same when it comes to depth, rim, width.

Yamaha, reputedly, is a keen and thrustworthy company so I´m quite sure that the variables above are the same with your B4. However the very "constitution" of the mouthpieces should be different because of length and width at the end of the backbore. Goes for mine too, of course.

Your taste is yours - for me the brass band setting requires a "cornetty" sound - which I sincerely doubt that you can produce with the B4; playing the soprano should be fine.
I use the 143D3 in wind bands, but a 14 B for lead/bigband work.
And I do all my practising on the 14 3D3. A compromise - if I only were to play in the brass band I think I would use a deeper mouthpiece; maybe my DW Ultra.

So the setting should determine what kind of sound and consequently the kind of mouthpiece.

From my perspective.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: