• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn projection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Flugelhorn projection Reply with quote

Is it common for flugelhorns to project really well? I always assumed that they'd be softer than trumpets. However, in a recording of a recent concert I was taken aback by how loud my flugel playing was. I didn't play really softly but I definitely didn't go all out...yet on the recording, it was pretty loud. Moreso than a trumpet solo I played during another part of the concert.

Do any of you generally hold back when you play the flugel because of this? Or do you generally feel like you have to push a little harder on flugel solos?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience recently in the orchestra and a while back while playing in a small, very dry sounding church. The trumpet works and all is fine but I did play a bunch on the flugel on both occasions and felt like it sounded … „more present“, maybe. I don’t want to say louder but the sound distributed better than with trumpet. Like you I was not pushing it at all, neither with trumpet nor with the flugel. It was quite an interesting experience and I’ll make sure to take the flugel to our rehearsals and to that particular church more often.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine tends to spread out more than project, and a lot depends on where the recording device is.

In my church orchestra, I use a cup mute on trumpet and cornet, but play the flugelhorn open at normal volume. However, I use a flugel mouthpiece with the next size deeper cup than what I use for jazz.

I have some flugelhorn mutes but I don't like them because of the slight change in pitch and the loss of flexibility I feel when using a mute.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I had a similar experience recently in the orchestra and a while back while playing in a small, very dry sounding church. The trumpet works and all is fine but I did play a bunch on the flugel on both occasions and felt like it sounded … „more present“, maybe. I don’t want to say louder but the sound distributed better than with trumpet. Like you I was not pushing it at all, neither with trumpet nor with the flugel. It was quite an interesting experience and I’ll make sure to take the flugel to our rehearsals and to that particular church more often.

Agreed, maybe louder isn't quite the right word, but the balance was definitely off. It didn't really sound much different on my side though.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m lucky to have a Hub van Laar Ack and a Stomvi Titan. They are both wonderful horns with excellent power and projection when needed, especially the Ack.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OPs question is rather the opposite: the flugel seemed to be over-present.
1977 Conn 6B
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that the flugelhorn sound "spreads" more, and will fill a small room more than you might think. In a large hall, or competing against a loud band, I don't think the flugel will out-project a trumpet, though the trumpet will probably be more directional.

Years ago I played in a quartet that played jazz standards in a small restaurant. I brought my trumpet and flugelhorn once. Thereafter I brought a cornet, two mouthpieces, and bucket, cup, and harmon mutes.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
My impression is that the flugelhorn sound "spreads" more, and will fill a small room more than you might think. In a large hall, or competing against a loud band, I don't think the flugel will out-project a trumpet, though the trumpet will probably be more directional.

Years ago I played in a quartet that played jazz standards in a small restaurant. I brought my trumpet and flugelhorn once. Thereafter I brought a cornet, two mouthpieces, and bucket, cup, and harmon mutes.

Hmm, you may have a point there. The venue we played at had most of the characteristics of a small restaurant, including a low ceiling.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:

Hmm, you may have a point there. The venue we played at had most of the characteristics of a small restaurant, including a low ceiling.

In the guitar world, we have instruments called, "parlor guitars". Essentially, smaller-bodied, and specifically designed to play in smaller, intimate surroundings. All without giving up any tonality.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
In the guitar world, we have instruments called, "parlor guitars". Essentially, smaller-bodied, and specifically designed to play in smaller, intimate surroundings. All without giving up any tonality.

Given that I was playing a pocket-sized flugel (compared to regular flugels anyway), you'd think it'd work in a similar manner. But apparently it doesn't .
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:

Given that I was playing a pocket-sized flugel (compared to regular flugels anyway), you'd think it'd work in a similar manner. But apparently it doesn't .

Hmmm ...

Makes me wonder (?). Are there horns that might be categorized as "parlor horns". Horns that can be played at p or pp levels, while still maintaining good tone ... horns that DO NOT PROJECT; but, rather, spread/diffuse the sound ?
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pocketcornets.com/conn_parlor_cat.jpg
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
https://www.pocketcornets.com/conn_parlor_cat.jpg

Good for Tourists and Ladies.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "new" (not so new, actually) category for horns?

With my recently acquired (see my post, entitled "Thrift Store Score") OLDS Recording, I am achieving really dark (timbered), "fluffy" flugelhorn-like tones, at surprisingly soft volume levels. Not quite as sweet as I have been doing with the Pre-War French Besson cornet ... but, close.

No doubt, much has to do with my "Rube Goldberg-esque" mouthpiece + adapter/tuning bit I have experimented with.
Nevertheless, it works.

I am very pleased. I foresee some interesting applications/gigs (small rooms, intimate settings, lounges).
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my recently acquired (see my post, entitled "Thrift Store Score") OLDS Recording, I am achieving really dark (timbered), "fluffy" flugelhorn-like tones, at surprisingly soft volume levels.

If it’s anything like the Recording trumpet, that doesn’t surprise me. My Recording trumpet plays softly very well and responds to very small amounts of air.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sidetrack too far but I recently had the chance to play my teachers Taylor (Chicago??) trumpet and it was a most amazing experience. I have never (by far) played an instrument that needs as little air to start a nice, very soft sound (well, maybe my Schmidt). Truly impressive. I could see someone using that type of characteristics in a „parlor“ setting. The instrument essentially speaks at „no air“.
1977 Conn 6B
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Thereafter I brought a cornet, two mouthpieces, and bucket, cup, and harmon mutes.

I hadn't mentioned that the cornet I brought was a '62 Olds Recording. With my oddball mouthpiece choices, very easy to play bright or dark at a whisper.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelhorn speaks just fine. There's only one flugelhorn in a British brass band.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Flugelhorn speaks just fine. There's only one flugelhorn in a British brass band.

Is this a hard fact ?
I was not aware of this.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:

Good point. And I suppose given their origins as military signal horns, it shouldn't have surprised me.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: