• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Custom C flugelhorn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, at the moment it is a Bb instrument. But what I meant is that if you ask, they might build a C horn. Also note that Roy likely never played this model; it came out after he passed away.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy played the Wood - this looks really similar. I am probably not going to buy that this new Maroon instrument is anything but a flugelhorn.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Inderbinen marketing talk is pretty good I have never even seen an Inderbinen instrument, let alone played one. Next time I’m in the area I’ll have to swing by their shop and check a few things out (and find someone to fund a purchase ).
1977 Conn 6B
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another one: https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/posts/pfbid02peApZFBcewzaGWq6fugfFG4JwqcfkUARgzWGi4fLK1P2KpKAjRYeA4yxrkxXV8bel?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZVl0_6mdHeFOfg0i_6Nsowtovd4L5bTDSJJxc9ZsZbF5_grhMwEBb816ljhZ3gGVhdn1xSgYTzT1ZFIzyo1p7vGindk8OXJs9lQ2zn3vWFdEa0wZ7kLSOEUNKnVDIlCKxxuu4Li_4SR2iP2P4PN6hdUQf0En7CplzumVYfiS6eCvMt27GKUJl1JYZRWjcAqKmDsfCjKLaGi67hJiIsRqBXG&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R
1977 Conn 6B
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that. I'm generally skeptical about Taylor because some of their horns use designs that are bad ideas from a physics/airflow standpoint. Nothing jumps out as too obnoxious with this particular Flugelhorn though, so I'd give it a shot. I'll shoot them a message.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamcz wrote:
I'm generally skeptical about Taylor because some of their horns use designs that are bad ideas from a physics/airflow standpoint.

I guess that means you wouldn't be interested in the "Vulcan" or "Batman" versions of that horn . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts, but mostly most drift back to 'it's the mouthpiece'.

I don't have a C-fluegel, but the rare times I've wanted one, I've more than gotten by with a Curry TF mouthpiece on a C-trumpet. If I was going to need one often, I might not be satisfied with my setup, but for my needs it's plenty.

Yes by all means get in touch with Andy Taylor. My fluegel is a Bb that Andy modified to work with the right hand alone. Not inexpensive but they like a challenge and they've already done a fluegel in (low) Eb. To get the fluffy, ethereal sound, I find I need to use Taylor's own mouthpiece.

Inderbinen are great to buy from, again not inexpensive but very responsive and when they tell you the waiting list is X months (10 for my Basso), it really is X months. They also modified my Basso for the right hand alone. To get the sound-in-my-head, I had to get a custom mouthpiece from Klier (highly recommend them) but now I've got it. Of my small instrument collection, the Basso is the one that consistently brings the most joy and the fewest clams--I make a lot of mistakes and the Basso is exceptionally supernatural at somehow not reproducing them. If I believed in ghosts, a benevolent one would live in my Basso.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know how skeptical you have to be about Taylor. After all, the man has been in business for what? Thirty years maybe and the company seems to be doing well.

I only played a Taylor once: my teacher plays what I believe to be a lightweight of some sort (Chicago X lite, maybe) and this horn speaks at no air. Just look at it and the sound is there. I was highly impressed with the horn in general - the only thing is it’s probably too open for me to actually play on a gig. Impressive horn, though.
1977 Conn 6B
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I don’t know how skeptical you have to be about Taylor.
I was being unfair. I meant that the Vulcan trumpet looks like a bad idea to me, but I haven't played one, nor heard one in a high fidelity recording.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, some of the designs are just plain ugly. The Phat Boy is about as ugly an instrument can be … I was referring to the functionality, not so much the design. Even if they look ugly they may still play very well.

The C flugel I find quite cute looking but there will never be a matte lacquer instrument in my house. Silver plate or clear lacquer for me.

The regular Chicago and Piranha trumpets look good (to me and again plated or in clear lacquer ).
1977 Conn 6B
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
To be honest, some of the designs are just plain ugly. The Phat Boy is about as ugly an instrument can be …

Love my Phat Boy's sound, may have told this story before.

Played a set, had someone come and say how clever it was that the horn was set up specifically for me. I said I was a little surprised at this as I thought the mod was really subtle: a right thumb ring hidden behind the first valve that extends the third slide.

"Oh," he says blankly.
"What?," I reply.
"I meant how the bell stem was all bent to hell so you could jam your left arm through the hole."
"That bit's actually standard."
"Really? Looks terrible."
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don’t mean to bash Taylor horns; I’m just a different character, I guess, and like plain and straight horns. Having said that, I was REALLY impressed with the Taylor I could playtest, so it’s clear Taylor horns are technically sound. I’d probably just pick a less flashy design.
1977 Conn 6B
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Taylor is a hotrodder! Some years ago, he had a gallery section that had photos of mini-hotrods he'd built at his shop. They were something like 2/3rds normal scale and actually ran. That was all the explanation I needed to appreciate his niche in the trumpet builders' market.

Just look at photos of any year's SEMA show in Las Vegas (or wherever it's held now) and you may see a kinship between Andy's skills and design whimsey and the four wheeled creations on display there. I want to own one of his horns just because. I really don't care how they play or sound, the build is the thing!

And actually, of the few Taylor horns I've heard and/or played, the Phat Boy and the original (heavy) Chicago sound and play great! If I were to commission a Taylor for myself, it would be a Starship. That has to be the sexiest trumpet I've ever seen.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just googled Starship Trumpet by Taylor. That one actually looks fairly normal, especially compared to some of his other projects. If I had the dough, I’d probably be interested in a cornet or the C flugelhorn - have been pondering a C flugel for a while, just really couldn’t justify the expense because I would have a very limited use for it.

The C flugel in clear lacquer and with some nice finger buttons, why not? If it plays anything like my teachers Taylor it’s a great horn and looks cute, too. Your German word of the day would probably be „knuffig“ to describe its looks
1977 Conn 6B
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear back from Beck, and they still make the C Flugelhorn from that video posted on page 1 of this thread. If anyone is interested, it's listed in their full catalogue with pricing and options:
https://musikhausbeck.dev.wizmo.cloud/media/75/a8/cc/1700220218/Preisliste_2023_Web.pdf
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks a lot. I might be interested but the price I got quoted a while back for the piston C flugel was a grand less than what they charge now. Shoulda bought it but didn’t even have 3 1/2 grand at the time. Oh well.
1977 Conn 6B
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

3 1/2 grand

Or, as we say in Nu Yawk: 3 1/2 large.

Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamcz wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It will take me a while to read through those German sites and try to find some sound examples. Maybe there's something there.

Quote:
I might suggest you consider a C cornet.

I think in most cases that would be too bright for my taste, although the Monette 900 Cornet might be something I'd seriously consider. https://www.monette.net/cornets

Not to further stoke the flames, but Josh Landress, in NYC, has had a Monette C Shakti - essentially as heavy and dark as a Raja, but with detachable tapered mpcs - for some time. With the additional options, cool and clever, all over this thread, this particular horn just came to mind.

Happy blowin richly smokin solos!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
Monette C Shakti - essentially as heavy and dark as a Raja
I'm getting to the age where players give up their sheet braced Monettes and chill out with P3 or LT weight instruments. I don't want to buy a 4.5 lb trumpet.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305439977494?

I thought the wrap looked kind of short, and then I saw the "C" in the title and "Tone: C" in the specs. Although the "Model: HDC-GBS" includes a parenthetical comment indicating it's only available as a special order, the price is about right for a pro-level XO horn (and a lot more reasonable than most of the other options previously discussed).

I see now that there are actually several of these listed by different Japanese sellers, all used, and all purchased in 2010. The description on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404858080519?

says that it was custom-made by modifying a regular B-flat XO flugelhorn. Given that, it's hard to judge whether it would play well based on previous posts in this thread describing the complexities in making a flugelhorn in C, and the risks in trying to do so by cutting down a B-flat instrument.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: