• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

E Flat Rotary Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: E Flat Rotary Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Went to a James Morrison concert this week. Always enjoyable as he is quite the entertainer. He had a couple of new horns he’d commissioned through Schaegerl. The one that really grabbed me was a custom E Flat Rotary Flugelhorn. I know it’s not really a thing but boy did he make it a thing. It’s had a beautiful tone and he made it sing. I’ve actually always enjoyed his flugelhorn playing the most, particularly in quartet format.

He wows in every performance and I was again blown away by how one can solo on a trombone with one hand while holding a trumpet in the other…

Wish I had photos of the Flugelhorn and his new trumpet but hopefully someone else has found some. Beautiful craftsmanship.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High and low Eb flugels come up every so often on the European platforms, but I didn’t know that Schagerl make one.

Here is another one if interested: https://www.eppstore-instruments.de/shop/Soprano%20Fl%C3%BCgelhorn_i1968 It looks quite cute but I’d have below 0% use for it
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: E Flat Rotary Flugelhorn Reply with quote

DerekE wrote:
---snip---
I know it’s not really a thing but boy did he make it a thing. It’s had a beautiful tone and he made it sing.
---snip---

My understanding is, Eb "high" flugelhorn is better described as "no longer a thing". The instrument was regularly used in Low Country (Belgium & Dutch) fanfare orchestras and traditional Italian bandas. Supposedly most of the bands that kept them in regular use have replaced them with Eb soprano cornets. That makes some sense, as there are quite a few brass instrument makers who offer soprano cornets, and maybe only two that still make an Eb flugelhorn, and even then, only to special order.

I always wondered why the Eb flugel didn't follow the larger Bb flugel into jazz. I think there would have been a few jazz players who would have appreciated exploiting the higher register but at a mellower timbre.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very close relative to the Eb flugelhorn alive and kicking in Sweden!

It’s called ”kornett” (cornet) in swedish, and comes in both Bb and Eb, with a few very old examples in C.

They have been used in Sweden since shortly after the invention of the rotary valve, and was included in the normal instrumentation of swedish military bands up until 1957, when the military bands sadly got ”anglified”, and started using piston valve cornets, including saxophones in the instrumentation etc.

They are still widely used in military bands (we onlu have three in Sweden) when playing the older repertoire, and also in more chamber settings, like traditional swedish brass-sextett. A sound to behold!

At my work, when we play chamber music we more often play this than brass quintet.

A picture of two old Eb’s;

LINK

Note the ”swedish fingering system, the 3rd valve lovering the instrument two whole-notes rather than 1 1/2! A GREAT system in that you never use the most out of tune combo(1,2,3)!

And a concert with a sextett from the swedish navy band. Long introduction in swedish, but wait to hear the sound!;

https://youtu.be/_Nw_1QSa9GI
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
DerekE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the education guys. James’ horn is a low Eb flugelhorn. I really need to find a picture
Ruigekerel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
There is a very close relative to the Eb flugelhorn alive and kicking in Sweden!

It’s called ”kornett” (cornet) in swedish, and comes in both Bb and Eb, with a few very old examples in C.

They have been used in Sweden since shortly after the invention of the rotary valve, and was included in the normal instrumentation of swedish military bands up until 1957, when the military bands sadly got ”anglified”, and started using piston valve cornets, including saxophones in the instrumentation etc.

They are still widely used in military bands (we onlu have three in Sweden) when playing the older repertoire, and also in more chamber settings, like traditional swedish brass-sextett. A sound to behold!

At my work, when we play chamber music we more often play this than brass quintet.

A picture of two old Eb’s;

<link above>

Note the ”swedish fingering system, the 3rd valve lovering the instrument two whole-notes rather than 1 1/2! A GREAT system in that you never use the most out of tune combo(1,2,3)!

And a concert with a sextett from the swedish navy band. Long introduction in swedish, but wait to hear the sound!;

https://youtu.be/_Nw_1QSa9GI

This fingering was normal everywhere in that time. In Belgium and West-Europe in the early/mid 20th century all brass instruments were tuned like that. It was Adolphe Sax who chose that tuning system.
Euphoniums did even have a fifth valve just as long as the third, both giving a major third.

As for this 'alive and kicking', I cannot find any instrument makers or modern instrument. Is that correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: