• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tell me this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know where to post this here seemed like the most logical place..

Tell me why in my highschool band...whenever the trumpets mess up its such a big deal? It could take the snare drums the whole period to get a rhythm down but if it takes the trumpet section more than 2 times to get it down its such a big deal....not to the director....the kids aka. my peers. someone after band today came up to me and said man matt trumpets were struggling im like....what? and she was a clarinet player and the clarinets did just as good as the trumpets I mean snare drums do 10 times worse than the trumpets...they dont get flack from the students but trumpets do...it boggles the mind...I really dont get it

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 answers.

Answer #1: We're loud. We screw up and people hear it.
Answer #2: It's extremely rare for the trumpet setion to make a mistake. So when it happens, it's a big deal.

AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yae well it stinks cuz when ppl tell me that it makes me feel like im not even good enuff for the middle school band and im going to college for this...even though they arent talking about me...just about the section as a whole. Well i am the section leader so i guess im supposed to get it. number one rule...its always the leaders fault.

Bach Stradivarius 180S-37
Bach Megatone 3C

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2004-01-29 21:34 ]
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when I was in high school ( not so far from now.... less thant a years !)The teacher had almost never thing to balme on trumpet. Not that we were neceserly always good... but I don't know why, but He only got on us a couple of time in the years or so. MOst of the time he was correcting the flutes becauses they weren't in tune or working on hard 8th note passage with the clarinets... Even drum rythmic...

Maybe this doesn,t apply to every teacher. (Mine was a sax player... I doN,t if that can explain somethign, but we could start a theory!)
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's because the trumpets are on the melody much of the time. Clarinets and drums kind of play supporting parts and, as such, get yelled at less frequently.
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the director sees what you are capable of and is trying to push you there?

Steve
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, anyone who plays anything but trumpet has a hard time dealing with the fact they're outsiders, which is why they make the trumpet section know they've made a mistake.

On a more serious note, maybe you just notice it more because you're the leader.It probably goes around in the rest of the band, you just don't notice it. Drums are another story, people just generally categorize them as not being able to play well, so they get more allowances for mistakes. Of course that's not ALWAYS true, but at least where I am drummers are generally considered lowest on the scale of musicality. Since I know there are some drummers here who also play trumpet, I must say they aren't always unmusical, some are quite good, both on percussion and trumpet.

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? my band director thinks that the snare drummers should be the best rhythm readers in the band...

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your director a trumpet player by any chance, haha
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One suggestion I might offer to AeroStud with regards to being the section leader in a section that keeps screwing up...

You mentioned "yae well it stinks cuz when ppl tell me that it makes me feel like im not even good enuff for the middle school band and im going to college for this"

Don't take it personally. I repeat - Don't take it personally. A mistake I've made constantly throughout my time as a section leader is a typical fault of most outwardly focused perfectionists, and that is this; many perfectionists believe that when someone else screws up, they 1) meant to do it as a way to spite you, and 2) that they're intending for the result to reflect poorly on you.

As far as the first is concerned, maybe you feel this, maybe you don't, but I'm sure there are people out there that have had the thought cross their mind, "Are you kidding me? How could s/he screw that up? S/he's doing it on purpose to piss me off. I bet if s/he would just practice more, she wouldn't be doing this to me."

It's a thought that's entered my mind frequently, usually involuntarily. Often when talented kids run up against kids that aren't so talented, the response is "What are you doing? You can't do this? What's wrong with you? You should try harder." In reality, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and some people's just aren't music - I learned over time that this particular response is a perfectionist thing, a psychological response to an otherwise completely innocuous issue. While the reality is that they're more often than not trying hard, they're just playing it different, and you're not lining up. Easy. But to some people, it might be a bigger deal, one that deals with pride and the sense of a job well done.

Which leads to the second issue, that their unsatisfactory playing reflects poorly on you. Chances are if you're the section leader that your band director is looking to you to guide the other players towards a more clear concept of what the section should sound like. You've got to remember that you can't work magic, and some people in the section probably aren't going to "get it," no matter what anyone says to them. So at a certain point you just need to sit back, buck up, and lead by example and ignore when things don't quite go right.

As far as why your band director picks on the trumpets - Band directors NEVER like trumpets in highschool, because they're always so damn loud!! And, on top of that, with underdeveloped players honking away, not only are they loud, but don't sound good. 10 clarinets playing poorly is a lot easier on the ears than 10 trumpet players playing poorly.

Also - I bet that the reason your friends are complaining to you is that they know YOU'RE not the problem

Take care, and keep practicing!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: