• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

switching instruments for job opportunities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducorptumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: switching instruments for job opportunities Reply with quote

I have been looking at job opportunities for euphonium and have noticed the pickings are quite slim.right now i'm a junior in high school that doubles euphonium and trumpet i was the bands lead trumpet in the marching season after marching in DCA with Atlanta CV and and have played euph in the last few months pretty heavily.I would like to have a career as a euphonium player but it doesn't look likely other than joining the service and playing in military bands.So would it be wise to stop playing euph and instead study trumpet for a better chance at a future as a musician.Joining the service isn't necessarily ideal but is something i'd do knowing i'd be getting paid for performing.

I'm just not sure if a career on euph is even possible so is switching a wise choice.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you already mentioned it, and opportunities are extremely limited, but unless you have cultural or religious reasons for not doing it, for someone playing euphonium, the service bands offer a great opportunity. Hours can be irregular and demanding at times, but job security, pay and benefits are excellent and as is the level of the company you keep.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known a handful of professional euph players. They pretty much all either teach at the university (Tuba/Euph) or play in a military band.

The frank truth is that making a career out of trumpet will not be easier or more straightforward. You will find way more competition and not a lot more jobs.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: switching instruments for job opportunities Reply with quote

ducorptumpet wrote:
I have been looking at job opportunities for euphonium and have noticed the pickings are quite slim.right now i'm a junior in high school that doubles euphonium and trumpet i was the bands lead trumpet in the marching season after marching in DCA with Atlanta CV and and have played euph in the last few months pretty heavily.I would like to have a career as a euphonium player but it doesn't look likely other than joining the service and playing in military bands.

I'm just not sure if a career on euph is even possible so is switching a wise choice.

I've observed that bass trombone and tuba are the instruments that are in demand because the numbers of people playing them are limited. Some colleges offer full scholarships for tubists. I had a family that were customers and they had two sons that went to college on scholarships playing tuba.

You could still play euphonium as well, the trumpet is well-covered by a million people. I'm one of them.
https://yourbrass.com/
chickenburger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you goodluck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the number of playing/paying opportunities on trumpet diminished. You could actually make a case for that applying to all live music.

Nevertheless, I think it's important to put comments in context on the health of job playing opportunities. Some posters may bemoan the lack of jobs but they are actually referring to a lack of jobs required for classical or academic trumpeters while another refers to pop and commercial playing, and yet another, to any style possible.

Different proportions depending on different contexts.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Network. Just "get out there" and check the scene.

I play other instruments, so I can pick'n'choose and/or "cherry pick" pretty much what I might want or like to play, any given week.

I drum a lot. Has presented opportunities to chat with other musicians. Hence; I have learned of other openings for horn playing (and on other instruments ... but upper-brass is my forte).
rdotson102

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at learning trombone. That'll give you the most flexibility. As much as I love the trumpet, trombone seems to be at least as in demand, if not more. Especially bass bone. It's also a lot easier to switch back and forth. I'd recommend sticking with low brass if your first love in euphonium. There are some guys who can switch low to high brass, but they're rare. Trumpet is hard enough without having to switch your embouchure back and forth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: