• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams Flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Adams Flugelhorns Reply with quote

My bandmate was looking to buy a flugelhorn and I recently joined them on a visit to the Adams factory in Ittervoort. And wow...the Adams flugelhorns are just amazing! Not only do they play easily but the sound! They had a few Yamaha's there too (a 631 and a 8310 I think) but they just didn't hold up against the Adams flugels. The F1 and F5 especially were very, very nice.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t care for the F1 but am highly interested in the F5. Any info on the F5 will be appreciated Depending on what music you guys play, look into the B&S FBX flugel. Has been my favorite for a number of years now, just can’t justify spending this much money on a horn I play twice a year for four bars.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an F-1 and it suits me fine. Close to a Couesnon.

Here was the sound model I used when looking for a Flugelhorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7Wx_pdWeg&list=PLfJndz0utgONWpSfdEMuW74Ajzf3WNOLG

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very early Yamaha 731, a very early Couesnon, and an Adams F2 with the nickel silver bell flare. The F2 replaced an Adams F1 with the nickel silver bell flair which had been my go to flugel for almost 10 years. The Yamaha plays fine with good intonation and a warm but sterile sound. The Couesnon is hands down the best Couesnon I have ever played. Great sound, great valves (surprise, surprise), and surprisingly good intonation, especially for a Couesnon. But the first time I played the F1, I was blown away. The F2 is like the F1 on steroids. That's the only reason I switched.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F1 was the best flugelhorn I ever played. Great intonation and spoke easily above the staff. When I sold it, the buyer played it in front of me and once again I was blown away with the intonation. No quirks, nothing to work around and just a gorgeous sound. I sold it because I just never had a place to play a flugelhorn.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I didn’t care for the F1 but am highly interested in the F5. Any info on the F5 will be appreciated

My bandmate mentioned that it played more easily than the F1, and it was easier to play more softly, but preferred the F1’s sound. Both had red brass bells, which made for a very resonant sound. The salesperson pulled up another version of their flugel customized for fanfare orchestras (i.e. a northwest-European version brassband where flugels are used instead of cornets) which I can best describe as inbetween both the F1 and F5. My bandmate though it was the best combination of sound and playability.

To my ears, the F5 had a slight fluff to the sound compared to the F1, which I liked. But it’s hard to describe, and a lot of the differences, while noticeable, were subtle.

Richard III wrote:
The F1 was the best flugelhorn I ever played. Great intonation and spoke easily above the staff. When I sold it, the buyer played it in front of me and once again I was blown away with the intonation. No quirks, nothing to work around and just a gorgeous sound.

Yeah we had the same experience regarding intonation. There just were no intonation quirks on the Adams flugels whatsoever (or if there were, so easily lipped that they passed by unnoticed). The only one of the Adams flugels that did initially was a 4th valved one, but that was possibly because all the valve slides where extended by a previous customer. It was fun to play that one below the staff too, even though it was somewhat heavy.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
robrtx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those playing the Adams F1: do you use the #2 (0.402") or the #3 (0.413") leadpipe provided by Adams?

Bb: Schilke
Flglhn: Adams F1
VanDemonian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a F5 - wonderful horn. Lots of fun, easy crossover from trumpet.
Copper bell is pretty dark, the thickness of 0.60 take a small toll on response but it’s easy to handle once you get a feel for it. Strong mouthpiece sensitivity. Comes with dual leadpipe inners so you can switch bore for that component which is quite a difference in sound - prefer the narrow and offset with a big deep mouthpiece (Pappa FD). Bottom sprung valves work well. Not as dark and beefy as say the F2 but if you’re more interested in an intimate horn for small group work rather than full brass band, then I’d recommend it.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: