• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference between Clear tone et Vintage tone (trumcor) mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NicoGagnon19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Difference between Clear tone et Vintage tone (trumcor) mute Reply with quote

Hello!

Recently I've been looking for expanding my mute collection and one of my trumpet friend showed me his clear tone mute. My problem is that I cannot make a big difference between the clear tone Humes and Berg mute and the Vintage tone mute from Trumcor. Is it worth buying for the Trumcor that is over 100 dollars (Canadian dollar) or the Humes and Berg that is around 60 dollar.

Thank you in advance for your response! ;)

Nicolas G.

Clear tone: https://matterhornmusic.ca/products/accs10724

Vintage tone: https://www.trumcor.com/product/vintage-tone
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both the same style of mute. Either would be fine.

I'm no mute expert, but I believe names of certain kinds of mutes have gotten confusing over the years due probably to trademark or copyright rules. "Harmon" is not only a type of mute, but the brand that made that mute, leading to that mute also being referred to in a "generic sense" as a "wah-wah" mute or similar. Probably the same here - a "solotone" was probably a model of mute made by the Shastock (?) mute company, and both H&B and TrumCor as well as several others have made that same kind of mute but instead called "Vintage tone" or "clear tone" or what have you to avoid any accusations.

Long story short, I'm sure you'd be just fine with the Humes & Berg mute if you're mostly trying to have every kind of mute in your collection. If you're really wanting the most premium, best functioning solotone style mute, go ahead and splurge for the TrumCor. TrumCor has an excellent reputation and it would be hard to go wrong.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, for myself I would go with the one that has the best intonation, sounds best, and easiest to play. I have a Humes and Berg solotone and don’t care for it as far as intonation and playability.

In orchestra we are playing “A Voice in the Wilderness” by Gilda Hochman (he’ll be watching our rehearsal Friday via Zoom.). There is a solo on C trumpet. It’s up high and with a strait mute. Funny thing, I found it harder to play with different strait mutes. i tried a Tom Crown, Vachiano, Dennis Wick, and a Stoneline. Oddly, the Stoneline proved easiest to play in the high register with a clear tone and most in tune. I suppose I could sand the corks on some of the other mutes, but they work fine in my Bb. So, the Stoneline is now dedicated for my C.

I know it’s hard to tell without trying side by side. If there is a music store near by and they have both in stock, I would ask to try them.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of mutes based on the Shastock Solotone mute. Of them, I find the TrumCor Vintage Tone and then the Huber Mutes Solo Mute to offer the best combination of sound and intonation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: