• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Couesnon Flugel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trubachAB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Couesnon Flugel Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
Well, I finally got my Couesnon!! šŸ„³šŸ¤©

Itā€™s a ā€˜71 scratched raw brass. I played my first note on it and man! It was an awesome feeling.

Do u like it a lot?
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is awesome. I am wondering if I should be concerned tho. The 2nd vale slide doesnā€™t pop when I pull it out which means no compression. Is that a huge deal?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
... Is that a huge deal?

--------------------------------
Might be if the instrument has problems with playing or intonation.
I wouldn't worry unless there is a 'real problem' with something in the sound or playability.

If you can easily return the instrument for a full refund because of the lack of 'pop', that could reduce your worry. Otherwise, as long as it plays well and is in 'expected condition' then I'd likely just keep it and not worry.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iā€™ve had mine (2 piece Monopole) a few weeks now and love it.

I picked up a Bach Corp. 5CFL mouthpiece for it and it came with a Corp.7CFL. This included mouthpiece has a shorter shank than the 5CFL, so Iā€™m thinking someone must have cut it downā€¦ I donā€™t know if itā€™s the shorter length or the cup depth but the apparently altered 7CFL seems to get an even deeper sound than the 5CFL. I havenā€™t tried comparing intonation accuracy yet between the 2 mouthpieces.

Iā€™m wondering if shortening the shank of a standard Bach Flugel mouthpiece is intended to get it to simulate a French taper. I donā€™t have the Melk leadpipe, but am inclined to think for me anyway, I donā€™t need it.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: pop at the second valve. My Conn has the same ā€žfeatureā€œ and only very weakly pops when I pull out the second slide. It plays fine and neither my teacher nor I had and issue when playing it. The slide pops when I clean and re-grease it. So, as long as you have no problem ā€¦
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C šŸ˜Ž
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Rhondo wrote:
He (Dillard) doesnā€™t just play high register on it. He plays ballad style smoky softly etc as well. I think Trent goes out of his way to do the same.

Did I state Dillard just plays in the upper/high register?
NO.
Please read for comprehension and accuracy.

I do hope Dillard and Austin somehow get my comments passed-on to them. They might like a challenge. I suspect they are more than capable. They may even sell MORE Flugelhorns.

I personally can gather more about tonal subtleties by listening to Roy Hargrove and Sergei Nakariakov play the Flugelhorn.

Iā€™m confused. They ARE already doing what you are recommending. Are you saying that them playing in the upper register somehow negates the demonstrations in the middle and low registers?
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is not my job to unconfuse you.

My observations, attitudes and comments are my own.
I call 'em as I see 'em.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Iā€™m wondering if shortening the shank of a standard Bach Flugel mouthpiece is intended to get it to simulate a French taper. I donā€™t have the Melk leadpipe, but am inclined to think for me anyway, I donā€™t need it.

It might have intonation problems. A French taper is no taper, or a slight taper before the insertion point, but straight inside the leadpipe.

My Queenie ('7 came with a Bach 7CFL, which came shorter than a trumpet mouthpiece, and it sounded deep, but the intonation was off. I eventually fitted a Curry 3C FL-F, which is French (straight), and that improved the intonation and playability.

Basically, we need to match the mouthpiece taper to the leadpipe, whether we match a French taper (straight) mouthpiece to a stock Couesnon leadpipe, or match a Melk leadpipe to a Bach mouthpiece.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
A French taper is no taper, or a slight taper before the insertion point, but straight inside the leadpipe.

Actually, the tapered part enters the leadpipe about 1/8" (see my first post on the first page of this thread). The same is true for my stock Couesnon leadpipe.

Rhondo wrote:
Iā€™m wondering if shortening the shank of a standard Bach Flugel mouthpiece is intended to get it to simulate a French taper.

Even if the Bach taper matched the tapered portion of the French taper, you'd have to shorten the shank so much that only 1/8" would insert into the French taper leadpipe; that's way too little for stability.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
mograph wrote:
A French taper is no taper, or a slight taper before the insertion point, but straight inside the leadpipe.

Actually, the tapered part enters the leadpipe about 1/8" (see my first post on the first page of this thread). The same is true for my stock Couesnon leadpipe.

Rhondo wrote:
Iā€™m wondering if shortening the shank of a standard Bach Flugel mouthpiece is intended to get it to simulate a French taper.

Even if the Bach taper matched the tapered portion of the French taper, you'd have to shorten the shank so much that only 1/8" would insert into the French taper leadpipe; that's way too little for stability.

The shortened 7CFL inserts about 1/2ā€. Total length to the top of the rim is a little over 2 1/2ā€. The unaltered 5CFL inserts about 7/8ā€.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
The shortened 7CFL inserts about 1/2ā€. Total length to the top of the rim is a little over 2 1/2ā€. The unaltered 5CFL inserts about 7/8ā€.

I'm guessing that the shanks aren't flush against the inside of the leadpipe for the entire inserted length.

If they work for you, that's great. I'd heed what Uberopa said on the previous page, though. If you get a chance to try a French shank mouthpiece or a Melk leadpipe, I'd take it.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: