• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing while dehydrated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickwgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Playing while dehydrated Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've noticed over the last probably 6 months or so, that I actually play significantly better when I'm dehydrated. I have better range and endurance, and playing is just generally easier. Has anyone else found this as well? It goes completely against conventional wisdom.

If so, does anyone know how I might go about replicating "dehydrated lips" without actually being dehydrated? You can probably guess the kind of playing I normally do from my cute little signature message at the bottom, and why it's potentially a terrible idea for me of all people to play like this. I blacked out for 15-20 seconds a few days ago during a rehearsal and I really don't want that happening in an actual concert!

Before anyone asks, I like to play with mostly dry lips.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dehydration and lip wetness vs dryness are unrelated.

The former is inadvisable. High note playing necessitates a variant of the Valsalva maneuver. If you are dehydrated, your blood pressure will drop, and you may, too.
The latter is personal preference.
As to how to replicate "dehydrated" lips.....wipe with your finger or a rag.

On the other hand, you might be referring to lip condition in the mornings. Some facial swelling (like puffy eyes) is common in the morning as a result of interstitial fluid redistribution while recumbent all night. Many people feel less lip response and flexibility early in the morning. Later, the puffiness goes away. Are you interpreting waning puffiness as becoming dehydrated? It's just fluid redistribution, not dehydration.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Playing while dehydrated Reply with quote

Nickwgo wrote:
I actually play significantly better when I'm dehydrated.

You should not perform most tasks while you are dehydrated. Learn to play in a state that will not require imminent medical attention, lol.

But I think the issue is that you are using the word "dehydrated" incorrectly. What exactly do you mean by "dehydrated?" When in your day do you drink water, exactly?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hit the golf ball further when hydrated.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Hydrated with what?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is likely referring to the difference in the turgor (the state of turgidity) of his lips with his body in a condition of "normal" hydration compared to what he perceives to be a condition of noticeably-less-than-normal hydration, which he calls dehydration.

His question in not baseless and is not worthy of ridicule.

—Denny
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
The OP is likely referring to the difference in the turgor (the state of turgidity) of his lips with his body in a condition of "normal" hydration compared to what he perceives to be a condition of noticeably-less-than-normal hydration, which he calls dehydration.

—Denny

No ridicule given. It's just much more difficult to live your life in a constant state of "noticeably-less-than-normal hydration." As such, instead of developing a constant need for dehydration the OP should learn to play in a healthy state of being. It could easily lead to unhealthy habits otherwise.

Additionally, I don't prefer to assume what the OP "is likely referring to" which is why I asked for them to elaborate. I am curious about their hydration habits and what correlation they are seeing. It could be they only drink water when they eat and that is also when they practice. Lots of variables there vs. fasted in the morning. etc.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Denny Schreffler wrote:

—Denny

No ridicule given.

See PM

—Denny
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my age (mid 70's), I prefer to be a little bit dehydrated if I can't get to the restroom immediately before playing. But I grew up on the Texas plains working on the family farm with no shade, so I have never had a problem with being a bit dry.

Our Brass Band plays every Sunday from the first Sunday in June until about a week after the 4th of July, in a park in Lubbock, TX with no facilities, so I am pretty careful to stay a bit on the dry side. The picture was taken last summer about an hour before we started to play, 5 blocks from this sign.

Needless to say, we didn't need our "spit valves", but we did have to tune about 25 cents high, because the tubas didn't have enough tuning slide to compensate for the temperature. (Your fundamiental frequency in a brass intrument is the speed of sound divided by the length of your brass tubing. The speed of sound goes up with the temperature which goes up noticeably above 100 degrees F.)

Inspite of my dry attempts, playing an Eb Soprano cornet for a 2 hour rehearsal and an hour concert gets my chops pretty "turgid" by about 9 pm!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:

—Denny

Or just being a troll.

DB
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:

See PM

It might be stuck in your outbox? Make sure your inbox/outbox etc aren't 100% full.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

The point is, the body functions better when hydrated whether playing trumpet, hitting a golf ball or a myriad of other activities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: