• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big Band Lead Sound

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda agree there. Making a player change when they’re not on board with it can be frustrating for personal relations.

The old adage ‘lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink’ applies here. Rather than forcing gear changes, talk with the player. Make them understand what is needed, and once they’re on board with the idea, offer broad suggestions as to what they can try to achieve that (i.e. shallower mouthpiece rather than ‘use this specific mouthpiece’). Starting with asking them to listen to specific music to get more affinity with the genre seems like a good first step. Maybe make a few recordings to highlight what the problem is (the player may not be aware they’re not being heard by the audience for example).

As Trumpjerele wrote, if said player can play lead with that mouthpiece then they’re quite skilled and experienced. Such players may not respond well to someone telling them what gear they should use (and rightfully so: if my conductor pulled such a stunt I’d politely tell them to go stuff it). Pressing the issue may just lead to escalation.

Making the changes with the player instead of for them will help building mutual trust and respect. In the long term it’ll be far more constructive.

And accept that it may take them some time to adjust (physically and mentally).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of: can you record the band/section to demonstrate the issue?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
LadFree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach 1 diameter and a Bach tpt 72 bell is in most cases, a very big combination that would not work out for staying in lead trumpet territory
for a long period of time..Again, I said in most cases.
A good way to approach this, would be for the player to keep playing his mouthpiece, but try a more "Friendly" trumpet. In my case, I play a large diameter mouthpiece, but now play an Olds Super,where the bell flairs much later then a Bach 72, and I feel like I have something to blow against. And I love the sound playing lead, and in the section too..Since you said he wasnt into dropping $`s, ask if anybody in the section has a more responsive horn they could bring to rehearsal.(Olds,Selmer,Shilke B1,Benge,etc)
I played a Bach 43 most of my career, and as I find myself at 70 years old, the Olds is really a game changer in my case.
Asking the guy to change mouthpieces?..I dont think thats a great idea.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Okay, this guy is cheap. No Warburtons, no custom this or that and the Yamaha is way too small.

I had a talk with him today and brought up why he is using the extra weight on his mouthpiece. He told me he had no idea and wouldn't talk about making any changes.

Let's let this go for now. Thanks.

Is this a for fun band or do you actually make something beyond gas money? Can he be replaced? Or is that not an option for social reasons or because there just isn't someone else to replace him with?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As Trumpjerele wrote, if said player can play lead with that mouthpiece then they’re quite skilled and experienced. Such players may not respond well to someone telling them what gear they should use (and rightfully so: if my conductor pulled such a stunt I’d politely tell them to go stuff it). Pressing the issue may just lead to escalation.

Quote:
A good way to approach this, would be for the player to keep playing his mouthpiece, but try a more "Friendly" trumpet. In my case, I play a large diameter mouthpiece, but now play an Olds Super,where the bell flairs much later then a Bach 72, and I feel like I have something to blow against. And I love the sound playing lead, and in the section too..Since you said he wasnt into dropping $`s, ask if anybody in the section has a more responsive horn they could bring to rehearsal.(Olds,Selmer,Shilke B1,Benge,etc)

In this case the ego is larger than the ability. As is common, players think their trumpet being a Bach is the end all and this player would never switch. The rest of the section is two Bach 37's and me on a Conn 22B. None of them would ever entertain trying anything else.

The lead player took lessons with a local well known lead player who immediately required the switch to the Schilke 14a4a. I would love to hear that combination even though I very much dislike the sound of the Schilke. Despite that, I'm wondering if I could get him to play it a bit for me to listen to. Maybe that would open the door to something else.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal lead sound should be big, bright and edgy. Ned a sample of a sound to imitate? Maynard's sound on the 1961 roulette recording of "Ole" THAT's THE sound to copy. You're not going to get THAT sound on a Bach 1 MPC
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a for fun band or do you actually make something beyond gas money? Can he be replaced? Or is that not an option for social reasons or because there just isn't someone else to replace him with?

We make money. Every gig is a paid gig. In our area there are four big bands competing for players. Trumpet players and trombone players are the hardest to replace. And this guy is pretty entrenched in the band.

In a couple of months he's on vacation and his sub is the best lead guy in the area. Should be interesting. I'll record that for sure.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
In a couple of months he's on vacation and his sub is the best lead guy in the area. Should be interesting. I'll record that for sure.

If his sub is the best lead guy in the area, couldn't you just switch them? Or have the sub challenge the primary for the lead chair?

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Thanks. I should add that when he steps on the gas, he can cut through and really be heard. But at anything less than that, he disappears. ...

--------------------------------------
Has that been mentioned to him?
Does he agree? Acknowledge that it is due to his playing?
Has he been requested to be a little more assertive?
Is there a director giving him the 'more' signal?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Richard III wrote:

If his sub is the best lead guy in the area, couldn't you just switch them? Or have the sub challenge the primary for the lead chair?

The sub has plenty to do and doesn't really have time for more. His primary band practices the same night as we do every two weeks. So he's fitting us in.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Thanks. I should add that when he steps on the gas, he can cut through and really be heard. But at anything less than that, he disappears. ...

--------------------------------------
Has that been mentioned to him?
Does he agree? Acknowledge that it is due to his playing?
Has he been requested to be a little more assertive?
Is there a director giving him the 'more' signal?

He's had a tendency to be all loud all the time in the past. We finally got him to back off and that's when I realized he disappeared. And I'm the director now. So my requests and guidance are new to him. We will be talking in the coming weeks. My goal with big band players is to get a characteristic bright sound whether they are playing loud or soft. I expect to be able to hear everyone even when the are backing off.

We have more issues than just this one guy. Brass players have been hiding behind their stands for a long time. Almost like they are trying to not be noticed. Trumpet solos are pretty bad with the same attitude. Whatever happened to trumpet players who want to be stars?

One song we did recently had three trumpet solos, mine was last. So it was quiet mumble, followed by quiet mumble, followed by "Hey! Here I am!"

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
The ideal lead sound should be big, bright and edgy. Ned a sample of a sound to imitate? Maynard's sound on the 1961 roulette recording of "Ole" THAT's THE sound to copy. You're not going to get THAT sound on a Bach 1 MPC

I agree. That is a great sound to get on the trumpet. So, who knows what mouthpiece Maynard was using on that recording?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
... We have more issues than just this one guy. Brass players have been hiding behind their stands for a long time. Almost like they are trying to not be noticed. ...

---------------------------------------
I think a large aspect of managing a group such as that is to recognize that each player has their own reasons for wanting to be in the group.
And of course, everyone has their own personality and quirks.

The key is to discover how to motivate people to perhaps try harder, or to break out of their comfort zone to derive more personal satisfaction and improve the group.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:

Depends on the chart IMHO. My favorite lead player is Jeff Kievet. Jeff's sound is rather compact and not over the top the way someone like Lin Biviano sounds. I loved Lin's playing with Maynard and Basie. Jeff is also ridiculously accurate. I heard him this past December at a show he was playing in. At intermission I happened to be backstage to meet a friend filming the performance. I looked over near a corner. Jeff was sitting there practicing with a mute in. Talk about dedication.
Snooky Young was considered a great lead player. His sound wasn't over the top and edgy.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I think a large aspect of managing a group such as that is to recognize that each player has their own reasons for wanting to be in the group.
And of course, everyone has their own personality and quirks.

The key is to discover how to motivate people to perhaps try harder, or to break out of their comfort zone to derive more personal satisfaction and improve the group.

Indeed. And maybe manage your own expectations as well: you may end up having to work with what you got, instead of getting what you want, despite your best efforts.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
LadFree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Richard 111; A really great way to show your lead player what you expect is to play a lead chart yourself in one of your rehearsals and have him listen. After all, your all about "Hey! Here I am!" as you stated.
TJTS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have him listen to the great big band lead players and truly hear their sound and their style.

Rasey, Glow, Childers, Porcino, Chase, Brisbois, and the list goes on.

The big band I am in has about 300 charts are so. Highest I have seen is a double G. Playing lead is way more about style than atmospheric range.

This is assuming you are playing Basie, Kenton, Ellington, Herman, Shaw, Miller, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Big Band Lead Sound Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Now keep in mind, we have to sell him on the concept and it can't be too extreme. Thanks.

Just tell him that the hot blonde in the first row digs guys who play a Yamaha Shew Lead.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Big Band Lead Sound Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Now keep in mind, we have to sell him on the concept and it can't be too extreme. Thanks.

Just tell him that the hot blonde in the first row digs guys who play a Yamaha Shew Lead.

More truth than fiction to that approach.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Big Band Lead Sound Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: