• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

warming up on different mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoreman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: warming up on different mouthpiece Reply with quote

I find that warming up on my Bach 11/4 C which has a slightly curved rim and than going to my Schilke 15 C4 which has a flatter rim gives me more control of the mouthpiece on my embouchure. Before you say you need to see a doctor, I was wondering if anyone else warms up on a different mouthpiece other than their main piece?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make a subtle difference in warming up, as in getting a little routine in early in the day to "remember" how to play - working fundamentals, and warming up (getting loose) prior to the event (rehearsal or gig).

I think starting your day on your "normal" equipment is crucial to reinforce your efforts and honing your skills, then branching out to what variety exists in your styles and gear. i.e. the few times that I've started my day on piccolo trumpet weren't very successful.

Specific to your statements, I suggest that maybe when you start on the Schilke, because of it's nature-flatter rim etc, you are not supporting your embouchure in the same manner - maybe pressing more or something along that line. Any we time change mouthpieces, IMO these two pieces are not very similar, we make a lot of associated adjustments, not consciously or intentionally but noticeable to make the instrument work as we intend.
That feeling of "it works for a while then I lose it" is a result of being out of our lane with gear, or the gear isn't in balance (3 parts - you + mouthpiece + trumpet)
How does the mouthpiece works with you and the trumpet - there is a balance. The same mouthpiece won't necessarily be the best for you on one Bb Trumpet to the next. I have a Bach 19037 and a Bach LT1901B and find each is better with different mouthpieces.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't really say how long you're spending on the 1.25C. Less than 5 minutes, fine, no big deal. If you're playing a whole session on it, it's not really useful or productive.

The only time switching is productive is if you are using two mouthpieces with different functions (i.e., lead piece vs. middle of the road piece). Otherwise stick to one-trumpet:one-mouthpiece:one-function.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time that I did - I did most of my practice on one mouthpiece and then played on a different one that cut my lip.

Wasted 20 years or so only decided that I needed to make some backbore changes and use the "practice" mouthpiece full time.

You might consider a compromise - the Schilke 17 - same backbore and throat as your 15C4 but a flatter rim than your 1 1/4C

BACH 1-1/4C vs. SCHILKE 17

SCHILKE 15C4 vs. SCHILKE 17
shoreman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use the Bach 11/4c to get the blood flowing; than the Schilke 15C4 feels like the perfect fit for my embouchure. I can't explain it, but it just works for me.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to start my playing on my shallow mouthpiece. That helps me find the right ‘feel’ more easily. Because it’s shallower, I cannot push my lips into the mouthpiece so much, and if I then switch to a deeper up with the same lipsetting, I find I can play a lot more efficiently. It’s not a requirement pe sé, but I find it helpful.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: