• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good mouthpiece to complement a Purviance 4*K4?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Good mouthpiece to complement a Purviance 4*K4? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just picked my trumpet back up last July after not playing for about 30-35 years. I joined a local community band and have now worked my way back up from playing 4th part to playing 2nd and some 1st parts. The music we play is mostly college-level concert band oriented (marches, classical transcriptions, movie soundtracks, Frank Tichelli type of concert band pieces, etc.), so it covers a wide range of styles.

My main mouthpiece is a vintage Purviance 4*K4 and I play a 1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen. I really like that mp and can hit the full range, but the sound is sometimes a bit thin, especially in the upper registers. I'd like to try another mp that is similar but may give me a bit fuller sound (deeper cup?, wider width?), so am looking for any suggestions. I've also got a Schilke 11, Schilke 12, and Schilke 14A4a, along with a full complement of Bach mps, but the rims on those are a bit wider and rounder than I like. From the research I've done, it seems that a slightly deeper or wider cup might help, or possibly going to a mp with a larger bore/backbore? But that's more detail that I'm still learning about, so not sure, which is why I'm posting here.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stick with a similar rim, you'll want to go with the maker that was the spiritual successor to Purviance... Bob Reeves.

The closest thing to a 4*K4 would probably be a Reeves 42M or 42S.

If you're sure you want a deeper 4*K4, I'd look at a Reeves 42C.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree. A Purviance 4*D4/4*K4 and a Getzen Severinsen was my go-to equipment as a professional. I have vacillated between Reeves and Purviances for about a decade, now. I think you would find the best equivalence in rim etc. with a Reeves but with a deeper cup and/or, perhaps, a slightly wider diameter.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK Sop and kehaulani, thanks for your inputs. I've heard of the Reeves mps and that he apprenticed with Carroll Purviance. I also heard he inherited Carroll Purviance's actual tooling and equipment when he died (not sure if that is true though).

I looked on the Reeves website (under the Vintage Purviance section) and found the chart. It seems that perhaps the 4*3 (Reeves RP9, 1/64" larger diameter, same cup depth) or the 5*K4 (Reeves RP8A, same diameter, medium deep cup) might be good choices also. TK Sop, the three you mentioned also look interesting (except the S since it appears to be basically the same as the 4*K4 I have now).

I've also heard some of the other people in the trumpet section talking about a Monette mp, but from what I've seen online those are incredibly expensive. And yesterday at rehearsal someone mentioned a V type of mp, but not sure what that was specifically referring to? Any ideas?

The other question is should I look into a Bach 3C? I've never tried one of those, but they seem to be more affordable.

One last question. Is there such a thing as a mp try and buy program? I'd hate to spend a lot of money on a mp and then not use it.

Thanks for your help.

1958 Conn Director 14A
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, some mouthpiece merchants have a return policy and some don't. You would have to read/contact the mpc merchants you're interested in for that answer.

A merchant that is pretty comprehensive and has a return policy is Mouthpiece Express.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/faq.php#:~:text=A.%20We%20offer%20a%2015%20day%20trial.%20That,complete%20details%20about%20our%20Return%20%26%20Audition%2FTrial%20Policy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how much you're looking to shift away from what you're using now... And how much you're willing to spend in the process!

I, personally (!), wouldn't go wider diameter without very good reason - it's harder to go back narrower again, and unless your current piece is much too narrow (unlikely at the size you're using) you're unlikely to improve upper register sound, focus and endurance by going wider... Everyone's different, but it's not what I'd do.

I'd ignore Monettes, they play differently and it's not something I'd play with at this point into a comeback.

If you have a rim that works well for you, I'd personally either stick with something you know is the same or very close to.

A deeper cup might well give you a bigger sound in the middle and low registers - but will probably make the upper register harder work... Unless the 4*K4 is too shallow.

Having said all that... You're less than a year into comeback from a very long layoff - and it sounds like you're making very good progress.
It might be worth sticking with what you have for a bit longer - I don't think I'd be wanting to change too far away from something that's working well and facilitating good progress.

If I really wanted to experiment, I think I'd reach out to the guys at Reeves and see what they recommend.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: A merchant that is pretty comprehensive and has a return policy is Mouthpiece Express.

Thanks kehaulani, I'll take a look at them.

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK Sop, I like the rim on the Purviance I'm playing, so I'm looking to really change that, my thought was that mainly the cup, either the diameter or depth should maybe increase. The only reason I thought a slightly larger diamter or depth might help with getting a fuller sound is because there would be more volume in the cup. I admit I'm not knowledgeable about this as I'm just getting back into it, so is my understanding wrong?

1958 Conn Director 14A
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
TK Sop, I like the rim on the Purviance I'm playing, so I'm looking to really change that, my thought was that mainly the cup, either the diameter or depth should maybe increase. The only reason I thought a slightly larger diamter or depth might help with getting a fuller sound is because there would be more volume in the cup. I admit I'm not knowledgeable about this as I'm just getting back into it, so is my understanding wrong?

If you like the rim and you're not having problems with the diameter then I'd, personally, leave it alone.

If nothing else... If what you try doesn't work as well, and you want to try something different again instead of just going back, then having certain factors isolated will give you some idea about what you should (or shouldn't) change.

If you've changed lots of factors at the same time (ID, rim shape, transition into the cup aka alpha angle, cup depth and/or shape, backbore, throat) then you're not going to have a clue which factors could've made a positive difference and which ones would've been best left alone... If that makes sense?

For example... A Schilke 11 or 12 (as you mentioned you have these) should both be very similar ID to your 4*K4 and looking at scans the alpha looks pretty close - but both will have deeper cups, slightly different rim shapes, different throat size (26), and a different backbore.
So if these don't work, it might be that you're sensitive to the rim shape itself (in which case, it's risky trying something with a very different rim), it might be that the deeper cups don't really suit you, it might be the throat and backbore don't suit you - but every mouthpiece is more than the sum of it's parts, and when multiple factors are varied at the same time the enf result can become very different, very quickly.

I think first thing to look at and decide is whether you're curious and interesting in experimentation?
Nobody can tell you not to - you just have to be aware that it can cost you and it can slow down your progress... And accept these costs are part of playing that game.

Or whether you're close enough to ideal already that you're interested in being a bit more methodical and adjusting just one or two things at a time to learn what does and doesn't suit you and get to a better compromise in less mouthpieces (but not necessarily less cost!).

Or whether it's worth just working more with what you've got before getting into experimentation at all!

My golden rules, personally, are to only ever experiment when "in practice" (so I'm playing consistently, and can trust any conclusions I draw aren't a result of a good, or bad, day), and to always have a goal in mind and not change too much (but then I know roughly what does and doesn't work for me already!!)...
Nothing says you have to follow these rules, but they may give you some idea into the angle I'm looking at this from.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: If you like the rim and you're not having problems with the diameter then I'd, personally, leave it alone.

TK Sop, agreed. That's why I was asking about potentially changing the cup depth or width only. I know if you change too many things you can't tell what really made a difference, so that's why I was asking about the impact of changing the width/depth.

1958 Conn Director 14A
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
Quote: If you like the rim and you're not having problems with the diameter then I'd, personally, leave it alone.

TK Sop, agreed. That's why I was asking about potentially changing the cup depth or width only. I know if you change too many things you can't tell what really made a difference, so that's why I was asking about the impact of changing the width/depth.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you're misunderstanding me - by diameter or ID (inner diameter) I'm talking about the width of the cup.

If you want to try something deeper with the same rim and diameter/width/ID, then Reeves would be where to go - they're not the cheapest, but they do make excellent mouthpieces.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you're misunderstanding me - by diameter or ID (inner diameter) I'm talking about the width of the cup.

It's probably that old "Two countries separated by a common language" thing!

I'll take a look at the Reeves mps.

Thanks for the comments.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: