• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to Succeed - Harmon question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: How to Succeed - Harmon question Reply with quote

I'm playing How to Succeed this month for a HS production. My question(s) are about the harmon mute sections.

Hedy's walk says "Half Muted, Dirty, almost Wa Wa" Could I have a translation please? I'm working on it with a JoRal bubble mute, stem in with a flutter tongue. Is this it?

Heart of Gold beginning has harmon written, but it is above the staff. I'm doing it with either a Harmon or Jo-Ral and no stem is easier. Is this it?

Overall, I prefer my Jo-Ral bubble mute and I've been using the stem in. does this jive with the correct sound?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choices work

Hedy's walk, you can do as you are (Joral, stem in, flutter and moving your hand) or you can substitute with a plunger with moving your hand. But yours definitely works.

I don't know what instruments are in your pit, but with Heart of Gold, if you're playing the half-step punctuations (G F# G) instead of flute/oboe combo, that is best achieved with stem-in. But nobody will protest if you play it stem out.

Generally you interpret "harmon" as stem-out. But it depends on what the original sounds are and if you are subbing for another instrument.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take the "wa-wa" to literally mean a Harmon / Bubble mute.

I've played on five separate productions of "How To Succeed..." In fact it was the very first musical I played.

My suggestion is make this easy on yourself. Use a straight mute like you would a plunger with a little bit of flutter or growl added in.

Or you could just use a plunger with a little bit of growl added in.

Both will get the effect across, everybody will be happy, and you won't need to worry about some audience member standing up and stomping out shouting "The trumpet player didn't use the correct mute on that cue - I want my money back!"

Another suggestion - and this is about the only time one of these mutes will actually be useful - is use a Humes & Berg short Pixie mute. That might be a bit easier to handle and control over a full size straight mute. The same would be if you used one of the short metal Conn straight mutes.

And remember - always do it the company way!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I'll try not to Frump it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: