• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short and a Long cornet mpc. lengths?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Short and a Long cornet mpc. lengths? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the difference between a Short and a Long cornet mouthpiece stem? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cup depth, throat size, backbore.

Overall length is just another factor in balancing out the intonation.

Let's say you have a design with compressed octaves (sharp low register, flat high register) - shortening the length will counteract this, if done the right amount.

So for example...
If you take a normal piece and drill the throat out, you'll get a long throat which will compress octaves - so you'd have to do something to fix it, like running in the backbore tool further, or shortening the shank (and then turning down the shank to fix insertion depth/gap)... Which is basically what Monette does, among others.

If you take, for example, a Denis Wick cornet piece - the cup being so very deep will generally compress octaves (compared with a piece with the sort of cup your typical trumpet piece would have)... The throat is also pretty big and long... So to counteract this, the shank is short.

You could, in theory, put in a bigger backbore for the same effect, but there's a limit to quite how big a backbore can be - once the backbore needs to be so big it won't fit within the shank, it's not an option.

Every mouthpiece is a balancing act to make something that will work for the intended use.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have asked more specifically, sorry. I just got a Benge L.A. Long Cornet. (I think about 1972.) I notice Yamaha offers both Short Shank and Long Shank mouthpieces. I think all other parameters in the mouthpieces are the same. Would one be more appropriate than the other to use? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Recommended mouthpieces for long cornet Reply with quote

Duplicate
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Jupiter 9e short shank mouthpiece
Yamaha 11e short shank mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 am; edited 4 times in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read your post, this article came to mind. Not sure if it’s helpful for your question though.

Have you tried asking Yamaha themselves?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern american made long cornet. Every cornet I've had that fits that description worked with a long shank cornet mouthpiece.

Assuming that you have the cornet in hand and a plethora of mouthpieces, why would you ask?

Or another way to approach this question is by looking for Benge cornet mouthpieces. Right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125750959062?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=125750959062&targetid=1531876740158&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9033353&poi=&campaignid=20385089669&mkgroupid=151067932066&rlsatarget=pla-1531876740158&abcId=9316496&merchantid=6296724&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5cOwBhCiARIsAJ5njuZKrb6Z-aoczR6I7qYIL6_b3zLD1QgRKFGEty3SJftDjsVUnSkkHEQaAvyeEALw_wcB

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I should have asked more specifically, sorry. I just got a Benge L.A. Long Cornet. (I think about 1972.) I notice Yamaha offers both Short Shank and Long Shank mouthpieces. I think all other parameters in the mouthpieces are the same. Would one be more appropriate than the other to use? Thanks.

Yamaha does do long and short shank pieces, but the other parameters absolutely will not all be the same.

The "E" cup short shanks are all very deep cups, BBB style pieces... That's the bulk of the short shanks.

As far as the rest go...

The same rules of balancing out apply - you can't just take a piece, cut down the length and it play properly without any other factors being changed to balance it out.

So let's take the obvious example... The only mouthpiece Yamaha does in both long and short shank versions - the 11C4.
If the rim, cup and throat size (bore) are the same, then the factors left to balance the intonation out are the backbore profile and throat length.

The short answer is... No - one will not be more appropriate than the other.
Both will work - if you don't want a BBB cup, you'll almost certainly be looking at the longer shanks anyway (the 11C4 being the only exception where you have a choice - the two will feel different, but you won't know which you'd like better without trying them).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Assuming that you have the cornet in hand and a plethora of mouthpieces, why would you ask?

I have no L-Shank Cornet mouthpieces to compare it with

TKSop wrote:
If the rim, cup and throat size (bore) are the same (Yamaha 11B4 ed.), then the factors left to balance the intonation out are the backbore profile and throat length.
The short answer is... No - one will not be more appropriate than the other.
Both will work - if you don't want a BBB cup, you'll almost certainly be looking at the longer shanks anyway (the 11C4 being the only exception where you have a choice - the two will feel different, but you won't know which you'd like better without trying them).

Thank you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended mouthpieces for long cornet Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, to specifically answer the OP's question: since the late '50's, when Conn and King discontinued their proprietary shank length and taper, and since the mid '60's when Olds also discontinued their proprietary shank length and taper, for American cornets almost everybody, both corporate and boutique, use the Bach standard for shank length, taper, and tip diameter for "long shank" cornet mouthpieces.

Everything else, including rims, bowl geometry, throat drill, backbore profile, etc. is up to the individual manufacturer.

For "short shank" cornet mouthpieces, including Wick, Yamaha, etc., there does not seem to be a standard. My Yammy short shank mouthpieces are narrower at the tip than Bach Standard, and my Wick cornet mouthpieces are @5 thou larger at the tip than Bach standard, although they seem to have the same or similar shank taper.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended mouthpieces for long cornet Reply with quote

Deleted
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern short shank mouthpieces are typically “brass band” style with extremely deep cups and very large throats. Those traits will cause a cornet to play a little flat, so shortening the mouthpiece compensates for that and allows the tuning slide to remain at its “normal” position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: