• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Leblanc Paris Flugelhorn (Courtois) vs new Weryl Regium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Old Leblanc Paris Flugelhorn (Courtois) vs new Weryl Regium Reply with quote

Hi everybody, hope you are doing really good, i would like to know about your opion about which you think its a better instrument, i have an old G Leblanc Paris fluglelhorn for a few years, like the instrument but to me it sounds a little bright, it doesnt have a trigger also it has some wear marks that affect the instrument aesthetically but not its playability , recently someone around me its selling an almost new Weryl Regium EF7091, this one has a trigger and very little wear marks, also it sounds more dark in my opinion, the price is 620 USD, its the Weryl really an upgrade ?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that your old Leblanc flugelhorn is the one that was a stencil of the last generation Courtois (the one before the "Direct Air" models).

Does it look like this? --

If so, then I'm pretty sure that I am right. (The pictures are of my Noblet flugel, which is a stencil of the Leblanc.)

I like mine, and feel that it has a nice mellow tone.

When I got it, it had a tuning bit that took a very unique Leblanc flugel mouthpiece (different from the large Morse/small Morse/French taper mouthpieces that are the choices for most modern flugelhorns). I found that I could substitute a GR/Melk custom Couesnon tuning bit shortened 9/16 inch, so I ordered one from Charlie Melk and now am able to use my Morse taper mouthpieces.

Here is how the Leblanc mouthpiece looks:

If this is what you're using, you may want to try a different tuning bit like I did and then see if you can address your "bright tone" issues with a deeper modern mouthpiece.

I have never tried a Weril flugelhorn. If you Google "Weril Regium Trumpet Herald", you will get links to some threads with opinions about that horn. Based on what I've read, the Weril flugels have been inconsistent when it comes to quality. If it were up to me, I'd stay with the Leblanc.

Here is a YouTube video of someone demonstrating a Weril Regium:

Link

It sounds pretty bright to me (but that could be due to the mouthpiece and the player's embouchure).

By comparison, here is a video of Mike Metheny playing a Noblet like mine (he uses a Bach 6 flugel mouthpiece):

Link

I think the flugel sound in this video is more fluffy or 'pillowy', which to me is preferable.

If your Leblanc is different from the one I guessed, perhaps you could upload a picture of it. The last post in the following thread describes how to do this:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: