• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lead/Commercial vs jazz vs classical

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam1750

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: lead/Commercial vs jazz vs classical Reply with quote

Recently i have been trying a lot of horns, i have discovered that i like the Large bore 462 or free blow feel horns (like my 38B), maybe because in high school i played trombone and i tend to use a lot of air, for the same reason i like them the Monettes, but i decided to try a Schagerl Apredato 3C (with a 27 throat to compensate for the open feeling of my horns) i have been surprised by how resonant this piece is but also how efficient i am now after using exclusively Monette for 6 years, i feel that my technique has improved since you need to be efficient with the air and body posture to play a Monette; i have decided to start a mouthpieces safari to try different mouthpiece designs, I would like to know you opinions, experiences and suggestions, this is my wish list:

Lead/commercial:
Reeves 43S
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5
Calicchio Lead

Jazz:
Greg Black 2CS
Monette B6S1 resonance
Greg Black Kenny Rampton
Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Frate 3C

Classic:
Bach Artisan 1-1/2C
Breslmair G3
Bach Corp. 1-1/4C
Conn 17A cornet - Mercer & Barker MB3-C
Schenkelaars Prestige Flugelhorn - Legends Sandoval mp
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on the Frate but maybe that’s a start. I use a Frate for my rotary and their 3C is not even close to a classical 3C. Their regular rim feels much „fatter“ than an more standard (whatever that is, Bach, Klier, …) rim. Round and comfortable.

Now, if you are used to Monette (so was I) you will likely find the Frate rather on the tight side and also you may find the slots rather tight. In contrast to my main pieces (AR Resonance) Frate locks into individual notes much more. So, for jazz, Frate would probably not be my first choice because bending, shakes, and the like are not as easy. For orchestral and legit playing, I find them great.

You should put AR on your list, they are the most flexible, most dynamic, and most versatile mouthpieces I ever played and I essentially use them for everything but my flugel (which works just fine with my Klier Exclusive) and my rotary (there I only use an AR for more brilliant/commercial/pops leaning music, but really mostly my Frate).

Everything of course is personal, so you may feel very different.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Jacko1235

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add Curry to the list. You can order the same rim and have everything else changed so different mouthpieces will feel consistent but can be used for different things e.g. 1.5C rim for classical and 1.5C rim for commercial. And they are very reasonably priced.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When starting a mouthpiece safari you should have some very clear goals. The "let me try this for fun" approach can lead you nowhere.

Best if your chops and technique are solid and in a consistent state. I have learned that no matter the mouthpiece I still sound like me. The piece allows us to get there more or less comfortably, and efficiently.

What is the goal? just to see if there is something better? Different tone? Articulation? Comfort? Pitch/tuning? Consistency? Range support/endurance? etc.
Each of those can be affected by different aspects of the mouthpiece.
This is where a teacher/mentor who knows your playing can be immensely helpful and save you time and money.
There are so many variations good and bad to work through, doing it on your own without knowledgable guidance invites a long confusing safari.

I will also add the thought that the mouthpiece, instrument, and player have to interact well, you have to find that balance... so the choice mouthpiece setup on xxx trumpet will likely not be the choice setup on another. i.e. I use different trumpets for legit or commercial settings, thus different mouthpieces setups too.

I will also suggest Curry mouthpieces as the rim shape within a series is the same, reducing "chop concussion" when switching between the various cups/backbores.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: