• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Hello,

I came across an old Besson trumpet and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it or where I could find out about it. It has interesting slide triggers that I can't find in images of any other older Bessons. I've searched on the Internet but I think it may have been made in a time that records were lost for due to a fire in the plant. But... I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm hoping someone may know something. The slides are seized (except the 1st) and the valves are seized (plus one is in wrong so no air will go through). The mouthpiece is a Denis Wick 4.

I'm wondering if I should go back and see about buying it if it's still there. They're asking $299.

I read that we can't insert images right here so I hope it's okay to link to my website: https://deannaford.ca/vintage-besson-trumpet/

Thanks!
Deanna
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet

Last edited by Deanna on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Deanna wrote:
I'm wondering if I should go back and see about buying it if it's still there. They're asking $299.

Well, first of all, it's not a Besson -- it's an "FB Made by Besson". (Suggests a lower-line model.)

Secondly, it's not connected with French Besson, it's connected with Besson of England. (I believe French Besson horns are generally more desirable.)

Deanna wrote:
The slides are seized (expect the 1st) . . .

Yikes!

Deanna wrote:
. . . and the valves are seized (plus one is in wrong so no air will go through).

Double YIKES!

Apart from all that, I'd say go for it. (Spoken in my best imitation of Bill Murray's "Carl the greenskeeper" character from "Caddyshack".)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the slides are seized (a much more elegant word than "stuck") I'd offer them $100 and then get it repaired. You've got Mr. Divitt there in Toronto who can do an excellent job.
https://yourbrass.com/
Deanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
"FB Made by Besson"

Do you know what "FB" stands for? And, I'm curious if made by Besson, how is it not a Besson? Tho, I realize not a French Besson given the indication of England.

(had a typo in my original post re the 1st valve slide... "except")
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Deanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
If the slides are seized (a much more elegant word than "stuck") I'd offer them $100 and then get it repaired. You've got Mr. Divitt there in Toronto who can do an excellent job.

I like your suggestion of the "offer" tho, Value Village is where it is and they don't typically haggle. I may try to anyway, tho.

Unfortunately, I'm about 17 hours from Toronto. But we have a fellow locally who fixes instruments.
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Deanna wrote:
And, I'm curious if made by Besson, how is it not a Besson?

If it's a Besson, why doesn't it just say "Besson" on the bell?

Like I said, "FB Made by Besson" suggests a lower-line model. Let me put it this way -- if you tried to sell me that horn as a Besson (with all that name implies), and I saw what was inscribed on the bell, I'd say, "This horn is clearly a lower-line model made by Besson. I am looking for a top-line, pro-level Besson (the horn most people lust after when they hear the name "Besson"). I wouldn't give you $100 for this horn even if all the valves and slides were working."

Here's a TH thread on an FB cornet; read the final post by the OP:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66811

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an English Besson International model. A few of those popped up on eBay recently. They were I think similar to their mid-range 8-10 models. So a real English Besson, for what that's worth.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Deanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
If it's a Besson, why doesn't it just say "Besson" on the bell? Like I said, "FB Made by Besson" suggests a lower-line model.

I don't know Bessons well so I'm thinking (or was) that like "Eterna by Getzen" means a Getzen trumpet... well the same with Besson... but I guess it's not like that. Thanks for letting me know. [I had a Getzen Eterna growing up. It was my second trumpet.]

Halflip wrote:

Here's a TH thread on an FB cornet; read the final post by the OP:

Thanks for sharing that link.
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet Reply with quote

Deanna wrote:
I don't know Bessons well so I'm thinking (or was) that like "Eterna by Getzen" means a Getzen trumpet... well the same with Besson... but I guess it's not like that.

Ahhhh! Now I understand your thinking.

This isn't particularly a 'Besson thing', more like a marketing style thing. When a manufacturer puts out a cheaper line, they sometimes add "Made by (insert prestigious name here)" to add some cachet and imply inherited quality.

On the other hand, when a manufacturer introduces a new prestige line, they may add "by (insert old established name here)" to emphasize that, while the line is all-new, set apart from, and "a cut above", it is a product of an old established firm (to allay warranty concerns, etc.)

Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Made by Besson' was just how English Besson instruments were labelled for a time - it definitely wasn't used to seperate the low end stuff from 'real' Bessons. I'm not sure exactly where this trumpet would have fitted in the model lineup when new, but the International name was used on some top of the range instruments, and certainly never on anything less than mid-range.

It's worth bearing in mind that pretty much none of the English Besson trumpets are highly regarded though, and I couldn't recommend buying this trumpet unless you can negotatiate the price way down. Any instrument in an unplayable condition is a gamble, and especially one many decades old. (If you dig around a bit online it should be possible to date it from the serial number but as a rough guess I'd say it's from the 1950s.)

Mike
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
'Made by Besson' was just how English Besson instruments were labelled for a time - it definitely wasn't used to seperate the low end stuff from 'real' Bessons.

Given your location, I must defer to your information. I stand corrected.

Mike Prestage wrote:
It's worth bearing in mind that pretty much none of the English Besson trumpets are highly regarded though . . .

In any case, this has to be useful to the OP.

Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a bizarre bit of branding - I have a feeling it only showed up after Boosey & Hawkes had bought Besson so perhaps the idea was to emphasise that Bessons were still meanigfully distinct from the instruments the parent company sold under their own name.

More speculaton... if at any point cheaper Besson-branded instruments were made by outside contractors, or merely assumed to be by potential customers, it could have been to emphasise that you were buying a real Besson - the inverse of what you suspected!

Mike
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
More speculaton... if at any point cheaper Besson-branded instruments were made by outside contractors, or merely assumed to be by potential customers, it could have been to emphasise that you were buying a real Besson - the inverse of what you suspected!

That is certainly a possibility!

yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deanna wrote:
yourbrass wrote:

I like your suggestion of the "offer" tho, Value Village is where it is and they don't typically haggle. I may try to anyway, tho.

Unfortunately, I'm about 17 hours from Toronto. But we have a fellow locally who fixes instruments.

If you can get it cheaper, which frankly is what it's worth, it will help pay for the shipping and repair, if that's the length you'd like to take it to.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:

It's worth bearing in mind that pretty much none of the English Besson trumpets are highly regarded though...

Definitely not as high as the French versions, but they did make some fine instruments. I have a '60s 2-20 that plays way above what I paid for it, and that was their student model.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Deanna wrote:
yourbrass wrote:

If you can get it cheaper, which frankly is what it's worth, it will help pay for the shipping and repair, if that's the length you'd like to take it to.

yourbrass, did you notice that Deanna said that the valves are seized too? That would likely require a valve rebuild, and those cost $200-$300 per valve.

yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, and that's why it must be cheap, or leave it alone.
When a horn hasn't been played for a long time, corrosion will build up, because they are typically put away dirty, and it just gets worse from there.

The basic appearance of the instrument wasn't bad, but there can be hidden problems, and you want it cheap, just in case.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Not necessarily, and that's why it must be cheap, or leave it alone.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see any compelling reason to want it at any price.

Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:

Definitely not as high as the French versions, but they did make some fine instruments. I have a '60s 2-20 that plays way above what I paid for it, and that was their student model.

I honestly didn't mean to dismiss the firm's instruments - more than anything else I was thinking about what prices the market will bear.

Mike
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Jocelyn Howell in Boosey & Hawkes:
The Rise and Fall of a Wind Instrument
Manufacturing Empire
pages 202-204:

"During 1965 the The British Bandsman featured full page advertisements for Conn instruments stating that the change to low pitch enabled players to use them. No doubt, the launch of the Besson ‘International’ range was an attempt by B&H to appeal to the same market. Three full pages announced ‘Besson makes Big News’; they featured famous bands that played Besson instruments, presenting ‘The Revolutionary Besson International’ – a model that ‘puts every other Cornet out of date, the B♭ tenor trombone – ‘a completely new model, incorporating every possible refinement, and the large-bore B♭ and F trombone. However, whilst the first two were new, the other instruments in the range were made up of rebranded B&H models."

and

"Affluent bands generally chose the best instruments available, upgrading as
new models were introduced. At the beginning of the 1960s ‘Imperial’ and ‘New Standard’ models were top of the range, but these were superseded by the ‘International’ and then the ‘Sovereign’. In 1975 the B&H, Besson and ‘Sovereign’ model numbers were unified, with top quality models given a 900 number, midrange 700, and student Regent-type instruments 600. Thus, a model sold under different brand names carried the same number. ‘Sovereign’, ‘International’ and a few ‘Imperial’ models comprised the first category. At this time most of the instruments supplied under the ‘International’ name were actually ‘Sovereign’ models and not ‘Imperial’ as before. In 1976 some of the duplicated models were discontinued including the entire ‘International’ range."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: