• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Weight loss vs. playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Weight loss vs. playing Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much weight one could lose and not affect their playing? i hear that with weight loss you lose muscle or something like that and have to redevelop the lips again!
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person can lose weight without losing muscle. Extreme fad diets may be more prone to cause muscle loss, but any well rounded diet will allow you to lose fat weight and not lose muscle weight.

The following is some speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt... Hypothetically, the amount of overall muscle loss one would have to lose to affect the muscles of the embouchure would be very large. Even if you did some fad\crash diet to lose 10-30lbs quickly, that would NOT affect the very small muscles pertaining to your embouchure.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go out on a limb and say that yes losing weight will affect your playing. While that should not be your reason for attempting to lose weight, improving your endurance and breathing is one of the side effects of losing weight. But the effect is likely to be positive in my opinion.

But you will probably not notice the difference. Losing significant amounts of weight takes a long time, months, not days. And if you are practicing regularly you should easily adapt to the changes.

Most legitimate weight loss programs also recommend exercise to aid in losing weight and avoid muscle loss.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in losing weight, there are probably many of us here who have our own experiences and would be happy to give you advice and information.

There are no quick & easy shortcuts, but it is possible to 'get in better shape' and to 'lose fat' - the key is your own determination.

You can post in this thread, or PM me directly for my thoughts.
Also include some info about your: age, current fitness, weight / athletic goals, etc.
Me, I'm 75 and currently doing a fairly intense exercise program called SPRINT8 . I've lost some 'belly fat' and increased strength & endurance.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
sanatospacatos

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight loss can indeed impact playing, especially for musicians like us who rely on muscle memory and control. It's a valid concern. When I started my weight loss journey, I was worried about how it might affect my trumpet playing. But with the right approach, including a balanced diet and exercise routine, I found that I could shed pounds without sacrificing my musical abilities.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about losing any of your playing ability.

Lose that excess weight. Be fit. Live a healthy (and loooong) lifestyle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: