• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why are some cornets so much heavier than others?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Why are some cornets so much heavier than others? Reply with quote

As I've been comparing cornets over the last couple months, I've realized that there is a definite weight difference between them. For instance, my 1958 Conn Director is significantly heavier than the mid-70s Reynolds Medallion. It also has a darker tone than the Reynolds. The 60s-era King Tempo II 603 is kind of in between those, and the 30s Gretsch Pathfinder is somewhere in between those.

I'm sure design specs and manufacturing techniques have an impact, as well as perhaps where the metals come from, or placement/type of braces, or the amount of metal used. But still, one cornet design is not too terribly different in design from another, so is the weight difference intentional? I assume it is, and my guess is that it really boils down to the sound the manufacturer wants the horn to have.

Is that right, or are there other reasons?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the weight of the metal.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as much difference between the weights of instruments as players.

Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are some cornets so much heavier than others? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
As I've been comparing cornets over the last couple months, I've realized that there is a definite weight difference between them. For instance, my 1958 Conn Director is significantly heavier than the mid-70s Reynolds Medallion. It also has a darker tone than the Reynolds. The 60s-era King Tempo II 603 is kind of in between those, and the 30s Gretsch Pathfinder is somewhere in between those.

I'm sure design specs and manufacturing techniques have an impact, as well as perhaps where the metals come from, or placement/type of braces, or the amount of metal used. But still, one cornet design is not too terribly different in design from another, so is the weight difference intentional? I assume it is, and my guess is that it really boils down to the sound the manufacturer wants the horn to have.

Is that right, or are there other reasons?

Conn made really freaking heavy valves. Pull one out and compare it to the weight of the corresponding valve from a different horn.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Yeah, but was a heavier weight metal used intentionally? To darken the sound or something, or just a factor of one horn maker getting their metals from one place and another got theirs from a different place?

1958 Conn Director 14A

Last edited by rhatheway on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are some cornets so much heavier than others? Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:

Conn made really freaking heavy valves. Pull one out and compare it to the weight of the corresponding valve from a different horn.

True. The valves on my Conn cornet are much heavier than the valves on my Getzen trumpet. Conn is all metal with bottom springs, while the Getzen uses plastic valve guides and internal springs.

That's definitely one factor, but that still doesn't explain all the weight difference or why?

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Not as much difference between the weights of instruments as players.

Yeah, yeah, we probably ALL need to get back on the rowing machines!

1958 Conn Director 14A
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Grand Rapids that was made around 1885. It played pretty nice. I did have the valves replated. I ended up giving it away about 20 years ago. It was pretty heavy from what I recall.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing back in the day I was handed a Czech(!) cornet,. It was HEAVY. Soon after this I got a UK cornet, a Regent, of about half the weight, so I felt. No other horn, and I´ve played a lot of them during more than 60 years, have been that heavy. Maybe it was made out of cast iron , Russian style? (You know, the Iron Curtain that once (?)blocked the view in Europe.
This doesn´t represent a political view - it is an observation. Were the moderators to grumble.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Conn 9A Victor is the heaviest cornet I’ve ever picked up, for sure. The bell and leadpipe are copper, which may contribute to the weight. Huge bore (.485”) too, so I’d guess the tubing itself weighs a bit more than a smaller bore horn. It has a big, rich sound, and is capable of being played very loudly without losing its mellow tone.

huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bear with me, I am getting to the science part of weight and brass instrument.

Way back in the '80's, I was a coal fueled power plant engineer at what was then "state of the art". My primary assignments were environmental controls and water treatment. The scale of equipment, if you have never been around power generation, is enormous.

One of my responsibilities,(actually, 2 units, so multiply by 2) was a large bag filtration system that very effectively trapped the small particulates (the "smoke") in n 13,440 bags each of which were 33 feet long. Each baghouse had 3 large fans, each rated at 14,000 horsepower. Each baghouse collected up to 75 tons the dust (called flyash) which had to be collected continuously. After collection, the flyash was prepared and sold as a construction material used in roads and concrete.

Getting the flyash cleaned off the bags was critical to controlling the power of those high horsepower fans, which at that time amounted to hundreds of thousands of dollars in added fuel. I headed a study using high intensity sound waves (up to 140 decibels) to force the flash to release from the bags. The study was quite successful, and the plant still uses the "sonic horns" when they are allowed to burn coal.

OK, so we reach the point where acoustic principles creds come in. The "sonic horns" were essentially trumpet bells (some form of a cone) with a "mechanical embouchure analogue" consisting of a flat plate sitting on a circular base, through which high pressure air flowed through, causing the plate to vibrate and establish a "standing wave" (sound). As I was trying sonic horns from 4 suppliers, which were all SUPPOSED to be resonating at 600 Hz, I had to explain why the model with the LOWEST acoustic output was the most effective.

To get to the point of mass affecting horn output, my testing showed that the horn that worked the best did so with the heaviest cast bell, but also with a "concatenated" shape (more like a heavy cast trumpet bell, while the other models had rolled sheet metal simple. cones). What I also uncovered was the trumpet shaped bell had more complex overtones, and while the other horns had higher decibels at 600 Hz, the trumpet belled horn had considerably higher evergy at the first harmonic (1200 Hz) which coincidentally caused the filter bags to vibrate much more.

Anyway, when I got into this project, I had in my library a study headed up by Dr Arthur Benade of Case Western University, and sponsored and printed by Conn in the late 50's or early 60's.

Anyway, I was able to reach Dr Benade during my study, and he confirmed that the most efficient bell would be concrete, but it would not have much tone. So yes, a heavy instrument can more effectively created higher sound output. However lighter instruments create more brilliant overtones. Of course, where weight is added or removed will have more complex effects. Yamaha and other manufacturers offer lighter or heavier valvesets on some of their custom lines. Bach offers lightweight, heavy weight, and standard weight options on just about every part of the horn. The dedication of some of us (me included) to Strad valve sets of various weights and construction (solid brass vs Nickei balusters) approaches cult status. And then there is the bell and leadipe shape.....

Yes it makes a difference, sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally, sometimes disastrously

Sorry for the long digression.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
OK, bear with me, I am getting to the science part of weight and brass instrument.

Anyway, when I got into this project, I had in my library a study headed up by Dr Arthur Benade of Case Western University, and sponsored and printed by Conn in the late 50's or early 60's.

Anyway, I was able to reach Dr Benade during my study, and he confirmed that the most efficient bell would be concrete, but it would not have much tone. So yes, a heavy instrument can more effectively created higher sound output. However lighter instruments create more brilliant overtones. Of course, where weight is added or removed will have more complex effects. Yamaha and other manufacturers offer lighter or heavier valvesets on some of their custom lines. Bach offers lightweight, heavy weight, and standard weight options on just about every part of the horn. The dedication of some of us (me included) to Strad valve sets of various weights and construction (solid brass vs Nickei balusters) approaches cult status. And then there is the bell and leadipe shape.....

Yes it makes a difference, sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally, sometimes disastrously

Sorry for the long digression.

Good explanation (but hey, I like explanations like this that digress into the scientific realm).

So, the heavier horns (like my Conn in my example may have a higher sound output (decibels?) but not the higher, more brilliant overtones like some of the lighter cornets (like the Reynolds in my example). Did I get that right?

And like I said somewhere else, getting to talk about physics (ie.e, standing waves) and such on a musical forum, man... what a blast! Both literally and figuratively!

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
My Conn 9A Victor is the heaviest cornet I’ve ever picked up, for sure. The bell and leadpipe are copper, which may contribute to the weight. Huge bore (.485”) too, so I’d guess the tubing itself weighs a bit more than a smaller bore horn. It has a big, rich sound, and is capable of being played very loudly without losing its mellow tone.

Now that is a good looking horn!

1958 Conn Director 14A
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn´t. Obviously lacking that shepherd´s crook.' Is it even a cornet??
But I´m from the other side.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Yeah, but was a heavier weight metal used intentionally? To darken the sound or something, or just a factor of one horn maker getting their metals from one place and another got theirs from a different place?

In the later 2000s, I began a friendship with Kanstul Musical Instrument Co. (defunct) in Anaheim, CA that lasted until they closed their doors in 2019. They had two models of trumpet among their selection that were very similar, using the same valve block and copper bells.

The 1500 was the first model to receive the Kanstul brand name. Its bell was fashioned out of .024" thick sheet stock. The second model in this comparison was the 1602, or 1500TW in the earlier years. It also had a copper bell, but it was fashioned out of .020" thick sheet stock. The two horns felt very different in the hand, the standard 1500 being obviously heavier. One might think that four thousandths of an inch of extra thickness should not make a significant difference in weight, but it did.

Foundries offer their product lines in all sorts of specifications and always have. Horn makers in the 40s and 50s had the same variations available to them as those that are on the market now. So, choices were made in those days, just as they are today.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

It has a shepherd’s crook, but it’s a small one in the forward section of the bell… All kidding aside, it IS a short cornet, though.

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that many cornets use a "longer" valve block than trumpets so there is part of your weight. (I had this great idea of turning a Olds Ambassador cornet into a .468 bore super trumpet. Opps. It would have required a custom wider wrap bell and tuning slide.)
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Keep in mind that many cornets use a "longer" valve block than trumpets so there is part of your weight. (I had this great idea of turning a Olds Ambassador cornet into a .468 bore super trumpet. Opps. It would have required a custom wider wrap bell and tuning slide.)

Ran into the same issue when I was looking for replacement valves for my Recording trumpet. Olds cornets generally have longer valves except for the Olds Super cornet, which has Olds' trumpet valve block. It's often mentioned to have a fairly 'trumpetty sound' and while I kinda doubt that's just because of the valve block, I do recall hearing that added mass around the valve block darkens the sound somewhat.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

It has a shepherd’s crook, but it’s a small one in the forward section of the bell… All kidding aside, it IS a short cornet, though.

Ain´t gonna catch a sheep with that.....too small. Maybe make a stunned sheep stumble?
Not that the world is in need of bigger crooks.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
…Ain´t gonna catch a sheep with that.....too small. Maybe make a stunned sheep stumble?
Not that the world is in need of bigger crooks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: