• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Quality Classes: Student, Intermediate, Professional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Cornet Quality Classes: Student, Intermediate, Professional Reply with quote

Speaking of cornets made 1960 and later, what features distinguish student, intermediate, and professional models from each other?

Best examples might be in the same brand.

While learning a cornet or trumpet, is a student edition ever detrimental to progress or enjoyment? This is a vivid issue with entry-level string and reed instruments; cheap maybe shows up harder in these. What are the detriments?

Obviously a professional will make any working instrument sound decent. Allison Balsom endorsed pTrumpets at one point. What is the most gain from student to intermediate models?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet Quality Classes: Student, Intermediate, Professio Reply with quote

DAVIDTHEWRITER wrote:
While learning a cornet or trumpet, is a student edition ever detrimental to progress or enjoyment? This is a vivid issue with entry-level string and reed instruments; cheap maybe shows up harder in these. What are the detriments?

To answer this part of the question: a bad instrument is detrimental to a student's or even advanced player's progress. I have come across student/intermediate horns that out perform some pro trumpets, but obviously a good pro instrument will be better than the best student horn.

As much as people like to say "the instrument doesn't matter" it very much does. I recommend you get somebody who is good enough and sensitive enough to test out the horn (I ensure the playability of all my students' horns). There are cases where entire portions of the range are very hard to access/articulate/perform well, responsiveness issues, intonation, etc. (even in pro horns). These issues will cause bad habits or even stunt/end a person's progress.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To better tailor your answer -
why are you asking?
what are your goals?
what level player are you?
what (if horn shopping) is your budget?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say much with student to intermediate cornets, but most professional cornets tend to opt for triggers instead of slides, and some makes go for a main tuning slide trigger instead of a first valve adjustment.

The main tuning slide is useful in some circumstances, may be a bit of a hindrance in others, so I'm not too fussed, but I definitely do prefer triggers over slides.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
To better tailor your answer -
why are you asking?
what are your goals?
what level player are you?
what (if horn shopping) is your budget?

Not a purchasing inquiry. I was wondering if a widely accepted taxonomy. Hobbyist.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going back as far as the 1960's, most of the really popular corners, perhaps other than those specifically made for British Brass Band playing, which was a fairly small niche back then, were closer to trumpets than the current crop of more specialized darker timbred cornets of today.

Back then, band orchestration had large cornet sections with 3 parts, with small 2 trumpet parts, if there were any separate trumpet parts. So cornets had to carry the melody over the large woodwinds, and also be flexible enough for solo work.

So you might need to factor that into your expectations.

As an example, one of the highest regarded "pro" Cornets through most of the 20th century was the ML Strad Bach, with the 37 bell, which is the same bell as most Strad trumpets, but a different leadpipe. They are different than the 184 shepherds crook Strad.

Don't get me wrong, as I love my 37 cornet, because it plays with great intonation and flexibility, and will play right through a section of trumpets. But not real dark tone.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, student cornets are built for ease of playing, hence compromises are made. For example, student cornets do not sound nearly as brilliant as pro-level cornets at fff dynamic.

Some student cornets have narrow slots - e.g., Yamaha YCR-2330-II. This can be a problem if happening on an open-valve note that is out-of-tune, or any note that is flat.

Some intermediate cornets have a nice but narrow sound palette that is difficult to "get out of" (e.g., Getzen 782 Eterna II Special Edition, Yamaha YCR-2330-II).

As mentioned above, there are student / intermediate cornets that outplay some pro cornets.

The sound of the cornet will be mostly determined by the player, mouthpiece and horn, in that order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: